Author Topic: XMPlay won't play wav file when DAW is open  (Read 553 times)

frew

Hello,

When FLStudio (DAW) is playing, I sometimes like to browse .wav files with Everything search tool,
and then click on them with XMPlay, to see if I want to bring various .wav into the FL project.

The problem is that when FL is open XMPlay will not play the .wav files.

I unchecked auto close in FL audio settings, but still XMPlay will not play them.

I tried various output settings in XMPlay, but none work while FL is open.

I got the various output plugins for XMPlay, and tried I think every possible combination
of setting, but still no output from XMPlay when the DAW is open.

I get the error "can't initialize WASAPI output"

And the ASIO output just will not sound even though player bar moves as if it's playing.

Note that the wav will not play from another player too.

Also, if I open XMPlay first, it plays the wav fine and the DAW will have no sound.

Maybe its a Windows 10 thing.

btw
Windows 10 creators
onboard sound, no added soundcard
all I see at sound icon in taskbar is
Right click> Playback devices> Sound> Playback> Speakers>
High definition audio Device (default device)

Thanks for any ideas.

saga

Re: XMPlay won't play wav file when DAW is open
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jan '18 - 20:26 »
It sounds like either XMPlay or FL Studio is configured to use the audio device exclusively. In the case of XMPlay, you can verify this by going to the WASAPI settings and see if the "Enable" checkbox in the "Exclusive mode" frame is enabled. If it is, no other software can access the audio device while XMPlay is playing, and XMPlay cannot start playing while another software is already playing something. If the checkbox is not enabled, a similar setting will be enabled in FL Studio most likely.

frew

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jan '18 - 20:58 »
It sounds like either XMPlay or FL Studio is configured to use the audio device exclusively.

At your suggestion I unchecked Enable at XMPlay WASAPI settings.

Also checked and FL is set to "auto close" to free up device for other applications.

So now as FL is playing and I click on a wav file, XMPlay opens and plays the wav file, but FL stops playing.

My goal is to have FL keep playing while XMPlay starts playing. So I need to turn off FL auto close,
but when I do FL seems to keep the audio device for itself, and does not allow XMPlay to play the wav file.

So I'm not sure if there is a solution to get them to be able to both play at the same time.

Back with Winodws XP this was all so easy. Something must have changed with Windows 10 etc.

Thanks for any other ideas to try.

saga

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jan '18 - 21:17 »
No, it wasn't really any easier in Windows XP times - even back then exclusive audio device access existed. Without knowing what kind of audio driver you have set up in FL Studio and how it's configured it's hard to tell what you have to change. If FL Studio is using WaveRT or WASAPI in Exclusive Mode, other applications won't be able to access the audio device, so you will either have to not use WaveRT (no idea if FL Studio actually supports that) or disable Exclusive Mode. It's possible that FL Studio uses Exclusive Mode by default because it's useful for DAWs (it offers lower latencies and possibly higher audio quality), but I don't know if that is really the case, as I'm not a FL Studio user.

frew

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jan '18 - 21:30 »
I should have mentioned FL is set to use ASIO4ALL v2.
Helps reduce latency in recording audio.

I thought by perhaps setting XMPlay output to ASIO that maybe they could both sort of share it,
and thus both be able to play at the same time.

When both set to ASIO, I start playing FL, then click on a wav file to here XMPlay it at the same time,
and XMPlay looks as if it's trying to play the wav, the play head moves along, and no error message,
but no sound.

I wonder if the default audio device "High Definition Audio Device" is a RealTek thing?
I don't know anything about that really.

I wish there were a way to manage the audio better on this Windows 10.

Perhaps I need to get a separate sound card to have more options in terms of letting
various programs have the audio device at the same time.

Thanks for any other ideas.

saga

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jan '18 - 22:36 »
ASIO4All uses WaveRT internally, so it always uses the soundcard exclusively. If you want to be able to hear sound from other applications while using FL Studio, you mustn't use ASIO4All. Being able to have sound from more than one application at a time almost always comes with a trade-off in latency, I'm afraid. If you really want low latency while still being able to use more than one audio application at a time, you will need to look into a professional audio interface that comes with a native ASIO driver that doesn't have the same limitations as ASIO4All.

frew

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jan '18 - 23:33 »
Wow, that was really helpful.

Thanks so much for your help with this.

Okay, I'm getting the result I want now:
I have FL project playing, (with it's auto close device: off, as earlier, so that FL will
keep on playing as I listen to other wav sounds with XMPlay), then I
click on a .wav file, and XMPlay starts playing the wav file as FL continues to play.

Yes I could browse wav to a limited extent from within FL file browser,
but with Everything search tool it instantly shows all wav on hard drive(s),
very convenient and useful.

I did not know that about ASIO.

So I have FL set to "Primary Sound Driver"

XMPlayer set to
Output: WASAPI
Output> WASAPI: Exclusive mode> Enable unchecked

Thanks again so much for pointing me in the right direction,
which helped me get the result I was looking for.