Author Topic: XMPlay playlist behavior  (Read 999 times)

bauxite69

XMPlay playlist behavior
« on: 22 Mar '18 - 03:43 »

Hi,

If i create a "plain_text_file.m3u" and add a line like this in it :
D:\modules\Pro-Packer 2.1\beyond.pp21

and then drop "plain_text_file.m3u" to XMPlay, the module will be played by the plugin xmp-delix.dll.

On the other hand, if i directly drop the file "D:\modules\Pro-Packer 2.1\beyond.pp21" to XMPlay, then XMPlay will natively play the module.

Is this normal behavior for playlist ?

Thank you

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
Re: XMPlay playlist behavior
« Reply #1 on: 22 Mar '18 - 17:40 »
I think that can be explained by the fact that the MOD packer plugin is needed for XMPlay to play the file. When adding normal files to the playlist, XMPlay checks if they're archives (the MOD packer plugin is an archive plugin), but when loading a playlist, XMPlay just adds all entries without checking them. So the PP21 file ends up in the list in the latter case, while it's changed to a MOD file by the MOD packer plugin in the former case.

bauxite69

« Reply #2 on: 23 Mar '18 - 01:08 »
Is there a way to force XMPlay to check entries in playlist(m3u) before playing/adding them ?
« Last Edit: 23 Mar '18 - 01:15 by bauxite69 »

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 23 Mar '18 - 14:10 »
I just checked the file myself, and I wasn't able to play it after removing the MOD packer plugin. Are you sure it's being played by the Delix plugin there, and if so, are you using the latest version of that?

bauxite69

« Reply #4 on: 23 Mar '18 - 14:16 »
I added some players to xmp-delix.dat  ;D

xmp-libxmp.dll can also play Pro-Packer 2.1 files.

I attached the xmp-delix.DAT and xmp-libxmp.dll files for you to test.
« Last Edit: 23 Mar '18 - 16:17 by bauxite69 »

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 23 Mar '18 - 16:59 »
Couldn't you just leave out the one that adds support for PP21? :)

In the XMP-LIBXMP plugin's case, it looks like you disable support for specific formats, so you could disable PP21 there if you would like XMPlay to play them instead.

bauxite69

« Reply #6 on: 24 Mar '18 - 01:40 »

The MOD packer plugin can read a lot more formats and i don't want to disable each one in all other plugins.

It would be great if XMPlay could have the same behavior with playlist(in any form) as when i drop a file.

saga

« Reply #7 on: 24 Mar '18 - 12:19 »
I think you have to imagine the "problem" here as follows, demonstrated with a zip file for easier understanding:
If you drop a zip file "foo.zip" containing a single file "bar.mod" on XMPlay, it will scan the file, find out that it's an archive and extend the playlist to something like "path\to\foo.zip|bar.mod".
If you open a playlist, XMPlay trusts the playlist that this filename extraction from the archive was already done in a previous step. Hence it will not check again if it's an archive. Instead, it will directly try to play foo.zip using one of the player plugins.
Something similar happens with PP21 here, replace zip with pp21 in the example to get the idea.
I believe the solution to your problem would be to specify the full extracted path name in the playlist file. You can find out what this path name would look like by right-clicking the playlist entry and choosing "Track info". It will probably look something like "beyond.pp21|beyond.mod".

bauxite69

« Reply #8 on: 25 Mar '18 - 03:34 »
I think you have to imagine the "problem" here as follows, demonstrated with a zip file for easier understanding:
If you drop a zip file "foo.zip" containing a single file "bar.mod" on XMPlay, it will scan the file, find out that it's an archive and extend the playlist to something like "path\to\foo.zip|bar.mod".
If you open a playlist, XMPlay trusts the playlist that this filename extraction from the archive was already done in a previous step. Hence it will not check again if it's an archive. Instead, it will directly try to play foo.zip using one of the player plugins.
Something similar happens with PP21 here, replace zip with pp21 in the example to get the idea.
I believe the solution to your problem would be to specify the full extracted path name in the playlist file. You can find out what this path name would look like by right-clicking the playlist entry and choosing "Track info". It will probably look something like "beyond.pp21|beyond.mod".

Thanks for the explanation but my problem is not how it works but how i would like it works

I got a bunch of playlists and most of them were created with other tools than XMPlay.
I don't want to recreate all of them.

That's why i would like XMPlay uses the same "logic" for each entries of a playlist as when i drop a file.

It would make XMPlay greater than ever for everyone     :)