Author Topic: Playback resuming in paused state if playback device is switched  (Read 495 times)

Flan

Hi folks, I would like to report a playback problem.
If the player is paused, switching playback devices will cause the player to resume playing but keep its paused state. Unpausing and pausing back fixes the state.
Cheers!

saga

Try a different output driver. As far as I recall, this mostly happened with DirectSound drivers? Using a WASAPI driver or Primary Sound Device may yield better results.

Flan

I'm not sure, all I have is default Output, no options for DirectSound or WASAPI. I should test it out with some plugins.

ModuleLFS

I just remembered I registered here in one point in time..
So anyway I tried WASAPI and was godawful, had delays and was not detecting device changes until playback reset, DS's Primary Sound Device worked like a charm though! Thanks for the help, this default behaviour should be addressed though.

saga

WASAPI sounding "awful" definitely sounds like something that shouldn't happen, in particular since the DirectSound Primary Sound device is in fact just being emulated by WASAPI since Windows Vista! However, playing around with the other output settings (sample rate and bit depth) could maybe help improve the situation.

SimonP

I have also encountered this problem, and I don't think it's related to output settings but rather to how XMPlay deals with Windows switching its output device. The problem also happens if you RDP into the machine, irrespective of whether audio is set to play locally or remotely.

Moreover, XMPlay will end up in an invalid state where audio keeps playing but the seek bar and current time act as if playback is paused if the primary output device is switched during playback. Pausing and unpausing doesn't fix it, but stopping does. Here's a video of this happeining: https://my.mixtape.moe/nxnlpk.webm

Could you investigate this? It should be easy to reproduce as per the video with more than one output device. I've had the problem on multiple machines with different audio setups, so I don't believe it's configuration-related.