Author Topic: Licensing question  (Read 303 times)

Blink123123

Licensing question
« on: 11 Jun '18 - 00:29 »
Hello,

I was reading the Bass licensing page and did not understand it fully.

I am the only developer for now and I am working on an application using Bass.

I wish to use the unlimited license but if I want to have it on multiple platforms do I have to pay for the unlimited license multiple times for each platform? Or is that just for the single license.

Plus, let's say my application grew and I have formed a team, I do not have to re license or anything right, since it will still be looked as a single site/location.

Blink123123

Re: Licensing question
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jun '18 - 00:32 »
Also I wish to add that after acquiring a license, I do not have to care about encoding format licenses (e.g. mp3 patent rights although they are now free) right?

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 11 Jun '18 - 13:53 »
I was reading the Bass licensing page and did not understand it fully.

I am the only developer for now and I am working on an application using Bass.

I wish to use the unlimited license but if I want to have it on multiple platforms do I have to pay for the unlimited license multiple times for each platform? Or is that just for the single license.

BASS is licensed on a per-platform basis, so a separate licence would be required for each platform that it's used it on. There is a discount on the price of each additional platform after the first one.

Note that if you are developing the application by yourself, the cheaper Shareware licence (rather than the Unlimited Commecial licence) may cover it.

Plus, let's say my application grew and I have formed a team, I do not have to re license or anything right, since it will still be looked as a single site/location.

It is possible to transfer a BASS licence so long as after the transfer it would still be covering the use of BASS in the products that it was covering previously. For example, a company name change would be fine, but an Unlimited Commercial licence's "site" change might not be if the old site is still in use.

Also I wish to add that after acquiring a license, I do not have to care about encoding format licenses (e.g. mp3 patent rights although they are now free) right?

The BASS licence doesn't include any patent licences, so they would need to be obtained separately from the appropriate licensing authorities, if required. MP3 is believed to be patent-free now but that isn't guaranteed by the BASS licence.

Blink123123

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jun '18 - 11:19 »
Thank you for your reply, it clarified all my points.

I have one more question.

The app I have in mind requires two products.
One is user end where the user will require BASS for which I can get the single commercial licence.
The second is an application that is used internally (also requires BASS) in order to set up things for my main app.

So I don't need a licence for my second use right? Plus I intend to go open source with my second app when (if) my app reaches its target.

Thanks a lot!

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 12 Jun '18 - 14:03 »
A company will need a licence to use BASS in its internal software, so the second application would usually require its own BASS licence but if it is only ever used in relation to the first application then perhaps it can be covered by the same licence. Please drop me an email with more info on how the 2 applications will relate.