Author Topic: <CENSORED> XMPlay destroyed my playlist  (Read 894 times)

OSH

<CENSORED> XMPlay destroyed my playlist
« on: 8 Oct '18 - 09:04 »
I'm sick of this!
Today, when I launched XMPlay I see, my playlist from yesterday is completely GONE. Over 20 thousand position! Now has only 161, and nothing else. Problem is, I want to hear anything to make selection, and delete music, which I don't like. To do this I mark every single file, which I like by pressing space. Now I should everything everything once again!!! Only xmplay.library file isn't damaged. I had this problem in the past, but when I installed new wersion of XMPlay I thought problem is solved. No, it isn't! Can someone tell me what the hell is happened?!

Re: <CENSORED> XMPlay destroyed my playlist
« Reply #1 on: 8 Oct '18 - 12:19 »
where you has stored the playlist?
user\documents Folder? and used the last win 10 update?

if so then not xmplay has destroy your playlist but WIN10

OSH

« Reply #2 on: 8 Oct '18 - 12:34 »
No and No.
I have Windows 7 and my playlist is in standard XMPlay folder on other partition than system.

saga

« Reply #3 on: 8 Oct '18 - 13:11 »
Go to Options & Stuff -> Integration. Is "Default action" set to "replace playlist"?

OSH

« Reply #4 on: 8 Oct '18 - 15:37 »
Yes! Holy shit! But XMPlay replaced my playlist today, before this it opened old playlist normally!

saga

« Reply #5 on: 8 Oct '18 - 15:45 »
Maybe you accidentally opened a file through Windows Explorer by double-clicking it when you wanted to execute a different action? This is when this "default action" comes into play. It's definitely safer to set it to "add to playlist" if you want to prevent the playlist from being overwritten accidentally by opening a file.

OSH

« Reply #6 on: 8 Oct '18 - 16:06 »
Maybe you accidentally opened a file through Windows Explorer by double-clicking it when you wanted to execute a different action? This is when this "default action" comes into play. It's definitely safer to set it to "add to playlist" if you want to prevent the playlist from being overwritten accidentally by opening a file.
Definitely not. Ok, I set it so... but this option is very dangerous and should be set by default as "add to playlist"... but nothing helps me now. I have to check all my modules once again... and when I have a library file? Can I restore my playlist?
« Last Edit: 8 Oct '18 - 16:15 by OSH »

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 8 Oct '18 - 17:25 »
If the files are all in the library then you can get them back into the playlist by selecting them all in the library window (Ctrl+A) and using the "Add to playlist" or "Replace playlist" option in the right-click menu.

For future reference, if you happen to replace your playlist due to the "Default action" setting, you can undo it by pressing Ctrl-Z.

OSH

« Reply #8 on: 8 Oct '18 - 17:44 »
Ian, my library window is empty (i didn't add anything to library). And library file has "~" in the name...

Knurek

« Reply #9 on: 8 Oct '18 - 20:01 »
If the files are all in the library then you can get them back into the playlist by selecting them all in the library window (Ctrl+A) and using the "Add to playlist" or "Replace playlist" option in the right-click menu.
I've had multiple playlists destroyed by a completely different thing.
Not sure how you could even debug this, but if you change Sound Device while playing - which can happen with DirectSound output and, say, a pair of BT headphones which you turn off, sometimes the sound device will get stuck to the disabled output and proceeds at light speed through the playlist.
Doesn't seem to happen when you switch from speakers to BT headphones, just the other way around. Doesn't happen always, just from time to time...
I've managed to 'fix' this by always making sure to restart playback (even if only for a second) after disabling the BT device, but I'm genuinely puzzled as to why this is happening in the first place.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: 9 Oct '18 - 15:38 »
Ian, my library window is empty (i didn't add anything to library). And library file has "~" in the name...

OK, in that case you would unfortunately need to add the files to the playlist again manually. If you have the files in a directory tree, you can add them all by drag'n'dropping the root directory into XMPlay (or right-click the "+" button to add the directory).

If you customised the tags of files via the "Track info" window then you may be able to recover that info by renaming the XMPLAY.LIBRARY~ file to XMPLAY.LIBRARY (the custom tags are stored in the library file).

I've had multiple playlists destroyed by a completely different thing.
Not sure how you could even debug this, but if you change Sound Device while playing - which can happen with DirectSound output and, say, a pair of BT headphones which you turn off, sometimes the sound device will get stuck to the disabled output and proceeds at light speed through the playlist.
Doesn't seem to happen when you switch from speakers to BT headphones, just the other way around. Doesn't happen always, just from time to time...
I've managed to 'fix' this by always making sure to restart playback (even if only for a second) after disabling the BT device, but I'm genuinely puzzled as to why this is happening in the first place.

Does that only happen when using DirectSound output, ie. the "DirectSound - Primary Sound Driver" device setting? If you haven't tried, please see if you can reproduce it when using the default "Microsoft Sound Mapper" device setting instead.

Knurek

« Reply #11 on: 9 Oct '18 - 23:25 »
Does that only happen when using DirectSound output, ie. the "DirectSound - Primary Sound Driver" device setting? If you haven't tried, please see if you can reproduce it when using the default "Microsoft Sound Mapper" device setting instead.
IIRC, I don't think this one supports hot-switching of audio devices - from my tests only the DirectSound output doesn't stop the playback when doing so.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: 10 Oct '18 - 12:27 »
The "Microsoft Sound Mapper" device does appear to follow the default playback/output device setting too.