Author Topic: differense between using BASSWASAPI API and regular BASS API  (Read 83 times)

jakob

Hi
I was wondering what the benefits or drawbacks are between using BASSWASAPI  and the regular BASS API, to record and play audio.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
Since BASS got built-in WASAPI support, BASSWASAPI is only really needed for exclusive mode output. It can also be useful for device notifications (via BASS_WASAPI_SetNotify). Another reason to use BASSWASAPI currently is for loopback recording. BASS does actually include support for that too but it has never been documented (BASSWASAPI was preferred). That feature is being improved (with resampling support) and will be documented in the BASS 2.4.14 release.

jakob

thank you for the answer. I am currently trying to make loopback recording and it is working as long as i am setting the device =-3. Is it possible to change the device that is mapped to the loopback?

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
Yes, you can record from any output device. You need to search the device list (using BASS_WASAPI_GetDeviceInfo) for the loopback device that corresponds to the output device that you want to record from, which you can then use in your BASS_WASAPI_Init call. A loopback device can be identified by it having the BASS_DEVICE_LOOPBACK flag set. A loopback device always immediately follows its corresponding output device in the list, so you can just search for the output device and add 1 to its number.

If you would like to quickly confirm what devices are available, you can run the pre-compiled LIST.EXE example that's included in the BASSWASAPI package (C\BIN folder).