Author Topic: Posible MIDI Out ???  (Read 451 times)

Circe

Posible MIDI Out ???
« on: 7 Feb '19 - 14:52 »
Hi at all. Time ago I made a program to Play MIDI files and other to Play piano chords.
Then i had to use sf2 fonts to sound The files and The notes.
My question its easy... Is It posible to send The MIDI notes to a diferent MIDI port ?.
I dont want to use sf2 . Just send The notes to another output.

THANKS a lot !!!!!

Circe

Re: Posible MIDI Out ???
« Reply #1 on: 8 Feb '19 - 11:08 »
PLEASE PLEASE  ??? ??? ??? ???

Do I understand that its posible send MIDI notes using midiout port ??

http://www.bass.radio42.com/help/html/03c1fe6a-585d-d5ab-dbab-92cc69aa86e3.htm
 :'( :'( :'( :-\ :-[ ::) ??? :o

Circe

« Reply #2 on: 8 Feb '19 - 11:24 »
A post I found You said.....

....."Never say never, but there are no plans for that at the moment. I don't think it's a crucial requirement for BASSMIDI as the OS already provides functions to send MIDI data to MIDI hardware. If you would like to load MIDI files via BASSMIDI and then be able to play them via MIDI hardware, what you could try is using BASS_MIDI_StreamGetEvents to get the events, and then translate that to MIDI data (see the BASS_MIDI_StreamEvent documentation for event details), which you can pass to midiStreamOut..."

Code: [Select]
DWORD eventc=BASS_MIDI_StreamGetEvents(handle, -1, 0, NULL); // get number of events
BASS_MIDI_EVENT *events=new BASS_MIDI_EVENT[eventc]; // allocate event array
BASS_MIDI_StreamGetEvents(handle, -1, 0, events); // get the events
// convert the event array to MIDI data and pass to midiStreamOut here
delete[] events;

Im using bass.dll with to trigger 384 Yamaha MIDI files, they contain Marks, after I read The MIDI file Style.. I find The Marks  and play them with sf2 soundfonts, but Id like to send The notes to a different MIDI outport !!! Not soundfonts !!!
BUAHHHHH.

Any simple aclaration woulbe greatfull..

Im using (still..vb6).
« Last Edit: 8 Feb '19 - 11:28 by Circe »

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 8 Feb '19 - 15:48 »
I'm afraid there is still no plans for MIDI output support in BASSMIDI.

If you just want to play a MIDI file, you could use MCI to do it:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/multimedia/playing-a-midi-file

Circe

« Reply #4 on: 8 Feb '19 - 17:01 »
What a pitty !!!!! :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

I Will have to wait for more time...

My proyect its finished, but using GM soundfonts

Tons of vsti like kontakt Will have to wait !!!

Please, have in count. I think Many people want to use that feature.

lqbe

« Reply #5 on: 11 Mar '19 - 22:20 »
I'm afraid there is still no plans for MIDI output support in BASSMIDI.
I'm sure you have your reasons, but while implementing this is easy enough for most of us it sometimes feels like there is a part (a non-essential part anyways) missing from the library that just goes hand in hand with the rest when it comes to x-platform support. I don't really need it, but out of curiousity, how come, if I may ask?

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 12 Mar '19 - 14:02 »
It is mainly that hardware MIDI output would need very different processing that isn't really compatible with the BASS channel/stream concept.

rv

« Reply #7 on: 12 Mar '19 - 14:07 »
Exactly. This can be interesting for cross platform.
Even if it is completely disconnected from the actual BASS channel/stream concepts.
Like a simple API to send and receive midi messages (shorts, or sysex)

lqbe

« Reply #8 on: 13 Mar '19 - 01:39 »
It is mainly that hardware MIDI output would need very different processing that isn't really compatible with the BASS channel/stream concept.
While that would be up to the user I can see how it's a wise decision to avoid the countless "Why can't I?" followups to omitting certain features :)

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 13 Mar '19 - 13:59 »
Exactly. This can be interesting for cross platform.
Even if it is completely disconnected from the actual BASS channel/stream concepts.
Like a simple API to send and receive midi messages (shorts, or sysex)

BASSMIDI does already have MIDI input support (BASS_MIDI_InInit/etc). Something similar for MIDI output would certainly be more of a possibility than adding support for MIDI hardware in BASS_MIDI_StreamCreate/etc. I had the impression that it was the latter that was requested, but perhaps I was mistaken?

rv

« Reply #10 on: 13 Mar '19 - 15:56 »
mmm. ok...

By the way, think about the cross platform midi IN and OUT APIs :)
I am sure many many people does not want to deal with different APIs Windows , MAC, iOS, Android, linux...

A simple BASS_SendToMidiPort, and a callback for the MIDI IN
2 kinds of messages . Short messages like midi notes etc...  and SYSEX

Even if my app for is now only for Windows, I will probably use your API, as I think it will be more robust than using the direct Windows API from .net :)

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: 13 Mar '19 - 16:52 »
By the way, think about the cross platform midi IN ... a callback for the MIDI IN ...

Unless I've misunderstood you, that's already there. See BASS_MIDI_InInit :)

rv

« Reply #12 on: 13 Mar '19 - 22:04 »
Oh Yes that's great, so now we need the BASS_MIDI_OutInit, and I will try to replace my direct windows API calls :)

By the way, why no MIDI on Android?

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: 14 Mar '19 - 15:34 »
Android didn't have any MIDI support at the time that the MIDI input functions were added to BASSMIDI. Android does have MIDI support now (android.media.midi classes), but I'm not sure if it's possible to use that purely in native code (ie. the BASSMIDI library). It looks like at least some Java code may be required. I guess one option may be to just add BASS_MIDI_InInit/etc functions in the BASSMIDI Java class (not in the BASSMIDI library).

rv

« Reply #14 on: 14 Mar '19 - 16:42 »
OK I understand... For now I need only for Windows.
I hope adding the bass wrapper for midi in and out will not affect 0.001% of the actual performances :)