Author Topic: XMP Bug: Dynamic Amp somehow got stuck at -163.7 dB  (Read 97 times)

Zikey

I was dragging over MOD links from Modland and suddenly was getting no sound output. First thought something was wrong with the .MODs like missing samples or something, but I realized the amplifier bar was all the way down to 0 somehow. Specifically -163.7 dB

This setting is retained on each open so it wouldn't fix when I'd close and reopen XMPlay. In this state, it doesn't increase in volume. Once I click it, it unfreezes and starts to raise as music plays, and its lowest value can be -20 dB, and it wont stick at the end again. So -163.7 dB seems to be an impossible setting naturally.

I was hoping it would be an INI setting, but it doesn't seem to be there, or reproducible when i backed up the INI. Basically each time i terminated the exe, it wouldn't save the "fix" I would do, but once I closed XMPlay normally, the new amp settings gets saved. So I can't debug it or find a reproduction case.

Or if it is an INI setting, it must not have the rights to Program Files (x86) where I put it and is ignoring that INI there. The INI still dated 2016 in its original folder. And there's no xmplay.pls or xmplay.library.

Version I am using is 3.8.3.4. Hope this helps.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
Re: XMP Bug: Dynamic Amp somehow got stuck at -163.7 dB
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jul '19 - 13:16 »
When enabled, the auto-amp reacts to the level of the sound from the file and DSP. So that looks like there was a very loud sound (possibly invalid sample values) at some point. Do you remember what file(s) you were playing when the problem happened, and can you reproduce the problem if you play them again? Also, do you have any DSP enabled, eg. EQ or reverb or any plugins? If so, does disabling that prevent the problem happening?

Do you have the "Reset on new track" option enabled in the "Amplification" section of the DSP options page? If so, the amp level should have reset at the start of the next file.

In any case, I will look into limiting how low the auto-amp level can go.

Zikey

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jul '19 - 15:37 »
Ah, went through 300 files from http://modland.com/pub/modules/Protracker/XTD. and think I found the file.

http://modland.com/pub/modules/Protracker/XTD/quadrascope.mod

definitely something going on in this one, as it actually make a sound at -163.4 dB

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 10 Jul '19 - 16:42 »
Ah yes, XMPlay's level detection (which determines the default playback level for a MOD file) isn't working properly with that file. Here's an update that works better:

www.un4seen.com/stuff/xmplay.exe

The dynamic auto-amp has also been tweaked to recover from very low levels more quickly, in case something like this happens again with other files.