Author Topic: URLs for specific BASS versions  (Read 186 times)

abbradar

URLs for specific BASS versions
« on: 12 Aug '19 - 11:16 »
Hi, I'm one of maintainers of nixpkgs package repository for NixOS (a Linux distro).

Is there URLs for specific versions of libbass and libbass-fx? The problem with current URLs is that they always point at the latest version of the library, so packages break at each update (they are tied to a specific file checksum and we need to update the version number of the package itself too). This is also a problem for Arch Linux AUR packages: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/libbass/

Thanks!

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
Re: URLs for specific BASS versions
« Reply #1 on: 12 Aug '19 - 13:57 »
I'm afraid old versions of the BASS packages aren't currently retained on server. In the case of the ARM Linux package, it actually contains multiple libraries (BASS and add-ons), so doesn't have a single version number.

In your scenario, where you need checksums to match, perhaps you could take a snapshot/mirror (and checksum) of the BASS packages each time you update your package? Another possibility could be to add checksums on the un4seen.com server that your installation script could fetch but I guess that would defeat the purpose of the checksum checking (DNS spoofing?).

abbradar

« Reply #2 on: 15 Aug '19 - 16:42 »
Thanks! We'll try snapshots; there's a maintenance burden that comes with them (only the person operating snapshots can update the package, and you need to trust that person because you can't verify that the file at their server indeed did come from upstream), which is why we try to avoid them. Still, thanks for the help!

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 16 Aug '19 - 14:27 »
All things considered, perhaps it would be best to just remove the checksum check and keep fetching the latest version from the un4seen.com server? All BASS 2.4 releases should be back-compatible with previous BASS 2.4 releases, so doing that should work fine regarding compatibility.

abbradar

« Reply #4 on: 17 Aug '19 - 08:49 »
Sadly we consciously don't support any way of downloading files without checksums at all, to be fully reproducible.