Author Topic: iOS - how to flush audio playback buffer after time seek  (Read 87 times)

Rich

Hi

I've been using BASS in my app for years very successfully, and I'm sure that the problem I have is down to my lack of understanding!

I'm playing back audio using a channel inside a mixer.  The channel is using the flag BASS_STREAM_DECODE.

I've had a long standing non-critical bug in the app - when a user is playing audio, pauses, seeks/scrubs to a new position (say the start) then restarts, it plays a short burst from where they were then starts playing at the new position.  I assume this is buffered decoded audio.

I've tried using the following code to clear the buffered audio (which I found after trawling through the forums) before seeking

Code: [Select]
    QWORD currentPos = BASS_ChannelGetPosition(self.channel, BASS_POS_BYTE);
    BASS_ChannelSetPosition(self.channel, currentPos, BASS_POS_BYTE);

I assume that this code seeks the channel to the very end of it's data, effectively flushing it, but this has no effect.

I also tried flushing the mixer with

BASS_ChannelSetPosition(_mixerStream, 0, BASS_POS_BYTE | BASS_POS_MIXER_RESET);

Still no effect (although this makes seeking very responsive).

I assume that as the channel is a decode only channel that the buffer is in the mixer - but it could also be a buffer of decoded data in the channel itself?

Any help or pointers would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Rich

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
If you're playing through a mixer then flushing the mixer's buffer (using BASS_ChannelSetPosition like you wrote) should ensure that no old data is heard when you resume after seeking. Do you happen to be using BASS_Pause rather than BASS_ChannelPause (on the mixer) to pause? If so, please try the latter, as the old data is probably in the device output's buffer rather than the mixer's.

Rich

Thanks Ian.  I was using BASS_Pause.  I've changed to use BASS_ChannelPause on the mixer and the amount of buffered audio is hugely reduced but it still plays a tiny bit of audio when I restart with

BASS_ChannelPlay(_mixerStream, NO);
Changing the restart parameter to YES has no effect.

I also tried with and without the decode channel flushing code too. 

Any other possibilities?

Thanks
Rich

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
Ah, I notice above that you're using BASS_ChannelSetPosition to set the source's position. You should use BASS_Mixer_ChannelSetPosition instead, as that will also clear the source's resampling buffer in the mixer (which is probably where the remaining tiny burst is coming from).

Rich

Hi Ian,

thanks for the advice, it's now working.  This is the code that I'm using to flush the audio buffer:

QWORD currentPos=BASS_Mixer_ChannelGetPosition(self.currentChannelInMixer.channel, BASS_POS_BYTE);
BASS_Mixer_ChannelSetPosition(self.currentChannelInMixer.channel, currentPos, BASS_POS_BYTE);
BASS_ChannelSetPosition(_mixerStream, 0, BASS_POS_BYTE | BASS_POS_MIXER_RESET);

Cheers
Rich