Author Topic: Suggestions for 2.9/3.0  (Read 87077 times)

Pike84

Re:Suggestions for 2.9/3.0
« Reply #200 on: 4 Jan '04 - 16:58 »
Aww, read the manual, please ;). Of course you can sort the list with XMPlay!

Torkell

« Reply #201 on: 4 Jan '04 - 20:44 »
Aww, read the manual, please ;). Of course you can sort the list with XMPlay!
You stole reply 200!

Tsorovan

« Reply #202 on: 6 Jan '04 - 17:37 »
Could we mayhap have v3.0 as the first fully non-crashing version? Do we have a yay?
Sometimes, it likes to crash when adding folders containing subfolders with plain-text files and no playable files. It's very hard to reproduce accurately... though I doubt I am the only one seeing this.
« Last Edit: 6 Jan '04 - 17:37 by Tsorovan »

Pike84

« Reply #203 on: 6 Jan '04 - 20:26 »
I've experienced some seemingly random crashing too. Very rarely though.

Skiv

« Reply #204 on: 8 Jan '04 - 01:47 »
Sorry if my request was descussed earlier (had no time to read the whole forum branch  :-[). How about some simple file management in playlist? For an example: very often some of my friends come to me to share music files. The process is something like "finding file in explorer or FAR->Adding it to playlist->previewing->taking decision (like\dislike)->locating it again->copying to media". It's good on plenty of files, but when previewing tons of them in different folders it becomes too hard. It could be much easier to copy "good" track directly from XMPlay or deleting the "bad" ones from playlist and copying the rest to the new location.

Also physically deleting files from playlist, as an option of course  ;) Something like "Shift-Del" erases file to the Recycle Bin and takes it away from playlist.

In other words it could be nice to have an ability not to break my Alt-Tab while managing music files  ;)

Saionara! Minsk, BY

Tsorovan

« Reply #205 on: 8 Jan '04 - 02:57 »
I'm sorry if this sounds like I'm assuming too much or something... but... eh... why don't you just run the file from the Explorer window, make your decision, and manipulate the thing via Explorer/your file manager only? I don't see where the playlist enters the equation at all, unless you're actually going to delete/move the file, in which case it'll be locked by XMPlay (hey Ian, could you maybe make XMPlay stop locking the file when it's stopped playing for this reason? Unload final track doesn't seem to do anything anymore, at least not if you're trying to manipulate the directory it resides in). But for copying you shouldn't have to do anything with XMPlay's interface in itself, correct?
« Last Edit: 8 Jan '04 - 02:58 by Tsorovan »

Pike84

« Reply #206 on: 8 Jan '04 - 10:10 »
I don't see either why XMPlay would have to have a file manager of its own. Explorer (resource manager) has been good enough for me. Just make sure you have the directory tree and "list/details" view in use. Then double-click files for previewing, use global hotkeys for stopping playback and explorer for any file management, and you don't even need to touch XMPlay itself :).

By the way, you can physically remove files via XMPlay: right-click a track in list and select "Remove & delete file". It goes straight to oblivion, not visiting recycler (which is good IMO).
« Last Edit: 8 Jan '04 - 10:13 by Pike84 »

Jace

« Reply #207 on: 8 Jan '04 - 13:20 »
Plus, you can select song(s) on playlist, hold left mouse button down, click with right and you can drag'n'drop (copy!) the selected files into a folder or anywhere you please.. I think that's what you were after too. =)

As far as I know, all of those are in XMP already.. You could
1) add folder (with all subfolders) on the playlist
1b) sort the list if you please ;)
2) right click and 'remove and delete' the absolutely hideous songs
3) do the before mentioned left-hold-right-click trick to copy the good songs wherever you want them! ;D

Skiv

« Reply #208 on: 8 Jan '04 - 20:42 »
Oh, it really works! Sorry for that silly suggestion ;D

In this situation my only query is to write special documentation on those tricky features and leave XMPlay as is  :P

Jace

« Reply #209 on: 8 Jan '04 - 23:48 »
"Special documentation" in this case is %xmplaydir%\xmplay.txt.
It's all in there! ;D

Kilian

« Reply #210 on: 9 Jan '04 - 07:17 »
I've got another request, which should be quite easy to implement:

When I delete the currently played track from the playlist, XMPlay stops playing immediately.
It would be nice if it continued playing that track. Afterwards it should go on with the (former)
next track on the list (or stop playing, if the list ist empty).

Surprisingly no one has been missing this feature (AFAIR Winamp does it that way).

Tsorovan

« Reply #211 on: 9 Jan '04 - 08:21 »
I found one reproducible case for XMPlay crashing. It dies whenever it encounters a file without a file extension in a directory. Sure, they won't be common and "make sure you don't have any blabblablabblab", but it shouldn't happen.

Skiv

« Reply #212 on: 9 Jan '04 - 15:13 »
Uh..Oh...  ::) XMPlay rules! I'm taking the dictionary and going on translating xmplay.txt  :-[

Jay

« Reply #213 on: 11 Jan '04 - 02:17 »
Winamp-bashing aside, it did have one feature that I really loved: ctrl-v would cause it to stop playing when the current track ended.  Sometimes I have a long playlist set up, then decide that I want it to stop when the current song is done, and unless I sit in front of the computer waiting, I have to drag it to the (sometimes very far) bottom, not to mention scramble my meticulously-constructed playlist.

Like many of the suggestions for improvements (e.g., file management), this is, of course, a luxury...there are always other ways to do these things, but as long as a feature doesn't compromise usability, then the question becomes...why not?

WingZero

« Reply #214 on: 11 Jan '04 - 02:43 »
      There's a bug with a one-song playlist. If the song gets deleted or moved, or somehow XMPlay can't find it, and loop list is on, XMPlay repeatedly tries to play that dead song, and might even crash if you don't stop it. This might even happen with a multi-track list too, if all the tracks are dead.

Torkell

« Reply #215 on: 11 Jan '04 - 16:20 »
There's a bug with a one-song playlist. If the song gets deleted or moved, or somehow XMPlay can't find it, and loop list is on, XMPlay repeatedly tries to play that dead song, and might even crash if you don't stop it. This might even happen with a multi-track list too, if all the tracks are dead.
Suprise, suprise, last time I tried it with a multi-track playlist (playlist on open had all tracks dead, I hit play on one and had to use Task Manager to kill it). It will only happen if you have loop list or random playback on AND you have told it not to stop on dead tracks.
( (loop list || random playback) && !stop on dead ) to you C/C++ types.

Pike84

« Reply #216 on: 11 Jan '04 - 20:08 »
So, basically XMPlay is just doing as it's told, huh ;). Well, I guess that kind of situation should be prevented.

Jace

« Reply #217 on: 12 Jan '04 - 00:09 »
'Remove dead tracks from playlist when encountered' would do the trick I reckon. =)

Jay

« Reply #218 on: 13 Jan '04 - 01:05 »
how about the ability to move/copy songs from one playlist to another?  when two instances of xmplay are open simultaneously

Jace

« Reply #219 on: 13 Jan '04 - 03:03 »
Jay:  select songs, hold left mouse button down, click right mouse (still hold left) and drag'n'drop them into the other playlist.. works here.

questioner

« Reply #220 on: 13 Jan '04 - 09:15 »
Will the new version come with CDDA support, so I can finally play my Audio CD's with XMPlay? It's the only reason why I still have to use AOL's Winamp crap.

Philidor11

« Reply #221 on: 15 Jan '04 - 03:43 »
Far as I know, XMPlay plays cd's only with a plug-in, and if you look at the configure... options in that plug-in, you'll find that it includes a CDDB connection.
Close enough?
I have to admit, I use WMP 9 to play cd's usually.  XMPlay is better at music on the hard drive, and I use CDex, which has a CDDB connection, to rip the best tracks.

Tsorovan

« Reply #222 on: 5 Feb '04 - 04:15 »
I found one reproducible case for XMPlay crashing. It dies whenever it encounters a file without a file extension in a directory. Sure, they won't be common and "make sure you don't have any blabblablabblab", but it shouldn't happen.
Just making sure this fairly serious crash didn't slip through the cracks before the v3.0 release.

Tsorovan

« Reply #223 on: 6 Feb '04 - 13:35 »
I was thinking of waiting with this list until v3.0 was released, but since the skinning deadline was extended one week... Now when we have got rid of the limiting panels, how about some cool display options? These are fairly easy changes, most of them. And most of them are optional, so people shouldn't be that upset.

Optional track numbering (might make queueing a bit tricky though).
Optional file format column in playlists.
Separate playlist length count/format/time/track number and other thingy font stuffs.
Option to not display filename suffix when using no ID3 tag display (we already have the format column...).
Make playlist length show length of selected tracks (I cannot believe how I failed to notice this before...)
Option for turning off flashing time display when paused (the Play/Pause button already flashes as it is and it is a bit distracting).
Option for turning off the tenths of seconds time display (hehe, couldn't leave that alone this time either).
Magnetic/snappable windows. Or at least make the Info window follow the main program around. Could be optional if that's preferable.
Shorter tooltip delay if possible (possibly hardcoded in Windows?).
MOD Pattern Display vis: shorter buffer/delay. Seems to be umm, 40-50 ms or something like that right now. Kind of distracting. 20-30 is preferable. Actually, could it just be the refresh rate? Window polling seems a bit low.
Option for average VBR bitrate display versus dynamic VBR bitrate display (updating could be 1 or 2 Hz or something). in_mpc.dll outputs the dynamic one, so it should be trivial, yes?
Very minor, but "hz" should be "Hz".

Big change, probably not viable, but perchance for some time in the future:
The Info Display isn't flexible enough (from a free-form skinning standpoint). Would be nice if one could divide it up into its components like format, bitrate, sample rate and so forth. I'm aware of plugins sending their own info though, but not how it's done... so... yeah, this might be stupid.
« Last Edit: 6 Feb '04 - 13:36 by Tsorovan »

Zarggg

« Reply #224 on: 7 Feb '04 - 06:06 »
Likewise, another minor issue, but in line with Tsorovan's list:
  • "db" should be "dB"