Author Topic: Suggestions for 2.9/3.0  (Read 87075 times)

Jace

Re:Suggestions for 2.9/3.0
« Reply #225 on: 8 Feb '04 - 14:03 »
Had an issue with it yesterday, someone else had it today, nothing major but just some amount of annoyance ;)
What I'm asking for is an ability to skip .zip files when adding directories to playlist, without ditching xmp-zip.dll completely..
Noticed the issue when I added a whole mod cd, which had HVSC zip on the disc somewhere too.. After 5 hours it was still adding them ;) (slow drive, huh?)
Also when I sometimes have zipped copies (or the zips left there after unzipping) in the folders, the list'll be full of duplicates.. that's easily handled with 'remove duplicates from list'.. But still, wouldn't it sound nice as an idea? =)

Irrational86

« Reply #226 on: 8 Feb '04 - 14:16 »
Since i've seen lots of requests for option to not add this and not add that, why not use this style...when you press the add directory menu, it opens a window with the directory you want to select, and besides it, a list of file extentions to search for...by default all the extentions will be selected, and if the user doesnt want to search for one, he/she deselects it from the list...and of course, XMPlay should remember which extentions are selected and which are not...plus a select all/none checkbox or button...what you think?
« Last Edit: 8 Feb '04 - 14:17 by XMinioNX »

Brian

« Reply #227 on: 8 Feb '04 - 17:26 »
This is getting silly - Ian has said that v.3.0 is only awaiting the outcome of the skins competition and new icon design.  If all these new suggestions were to be taken up now, v.3.0 would be released sometime In the Year 2525 (an old hit record, for those of us ancient enough to remember it)!

Knurek

« Reply #228 on: 8 Feb '04 - 18:56 »
This is getting silly - Ian has said that v.3.0 is only awaiting the outcome of the skins competition and new icon design.  If all these new suggestions were to be taken up now, v.3.0 would be released sometime In the Year 2525 (an old hit record, for those of us ancient enough to remember it)!

Judging from the speed the icon/skin competition is going on, I won't be surprised if it will be released in the year 2525 (even without the suggestions incorporated). :(

Rah'Dick

• XMPlay Support
« Reply #229 on: 9 Feb '04 - 01:52 »
Hey, don't forget that Ian and all other people who are involved in XMPlay are doing this for free … !
And for such things, you need free time. But many of us are working folks, so be patient. Please!

Knurek

« Reply #230 on: 9 Feb '04 - 06:37 »
Hey, don't forget that Ian and all other people who are involved in XMPlay are doing this for free … !
And for such things, you need free time. But many of us are working folks, so be patient. Please!

It's not like I'm saying 'd00d, g1mmeh XMPlay3 0r 3153 !!!!!11!!!1'. ;)
But thruth to be told I don't really think that waiting for the skin to arrive should delay the release of the player (voted for that in appropriate thread). Come on, most of us are using non-default skin (Flatline 'ere), and those that use the default will probably want to still use it (it will be downloadable from the site, won't it?).

Rah'Dick

• XMPlay Support
« Reply #231 on: 9 Feb '04 - 08:43 »
Yep, right. But as skins for 3.0 develop, XMPlay changes with them.
I think now I can post pictures of my skin in the compo thread.

longtime user

« Reply #232 on: 9 Feb '04 - 18:31 »
Hi,

If've been using XMPlay since a very long time. In fact my old 286 monochrome laptop still has version 1.X
on it. I really like the player but i must say that delaying a release for a new skin is a little silly. In fact you
should have stuck with the old classic skin but that's another matter.

Why can't you have a "Stable" release and a "Latest Beta" release? I mean this player isn't beeing used by
a lot of people but those that do are devoted to it. So why deny them the latest fixes or improvements.

Btw Antires of www.alpha-ii.com released a new SNESAmp 3.1  ;D

Anyway just my 2 cents. And do keep up the good work ;)

Rich Nagel

« Reply #233 on: 10 Feb '04 - 20:46 »
If've been using XMPlay since a very long time. In fact my old 286 monochrome laptop still has version 1.X
on it.

I could be totally wrong here, but hasn't *all* versions of XMPlay throughout the years required Windows 9x or higher (or at the very least, Windows 3.1 in *enhanced* mode) LOL? -:)

velusip

« Reply #234 on: 12 Feb '04 - 20:36 »
I came here to discuss Ogg.

I enjoy streaming music stations- thr funy
I especially enjoy the Ogg ones due to their superior sound quality
but XMPlay does a terrible job of recieving the stream due to a very
small buffer. I wish that in later versions of XMPlay there would be
an Ogg control section (the same way that Nullsoft plugins have a
config tool) so I could boost the buffering up to a minute or so.

bump

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #235 on: 13 Feb '04 - 15:48 »
Unless you want to wait a minute before playback begins, a 1 minute buffer is not a particularly good idea :)

XMPlay can only receive data as fast as the server sends it, so to fill a 1 minute buffer will take practically 1 minute (the server does not buffer anything like that amount). If you're having problems, I suggest it's probably at least partly to do with your connection (or the connection between your ISP and the server).

Knurek

« Reply #236 on: 13 Feb '04 - 22:04 »
Unless you want to wait a minute before playback begins, a 1 minute buffer is not a particularly good idea :)

And how about *configurable* buffer length? If someone wants to have a 1 minute of it buffered, hey, it's their choice.

Media Player does something similar - it buffors about a minute of a stream (but you can abort the buffering anytime you want - I'm guessing it will change the buffersize on the fly).

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #237 on: 16 Feb '04 - 19:16 »
And how about *configurable* buffer length?

I would if I could find space in the Options'n'Stuff for it ;D

Tsorovan

« Reply #238 on: 17 Feb '04 - 00:23 »
That was a joke right? Since the whole idea of that dialog was to be able to freely add more options and settings...

raina

« Reply #239 on: 17 Feb '04 - 10:51 »
I think the smiley gives a subtle hint about Ian's message being a joke..

Pike84

« Reply #240 on: 17 Feb '04 - 11:55 »
Oh, but he'd have to either stretch the options window or create a whole new tab for the purpose.. What a bother :P!

Tsorovan

« Reply #241 on: 18 Feb '04 - 00:04 »
If I might come with a suggestion: Left-hand pane with either a tree control or buttons a la Firefox' options dialog (plain text would work too, as in Photoshop CS. See below.). Tabs on top is a dead concept of days yore. Or rather, they tend to get messy when they have to be multi-line. This, along with a more vertical design would increase legibility and intuitivity and easier to get away with a bigger dialog. Or something. The Find tracks dialog would preferably be its own, small dialog.

Some Photoshop CS dialog:
« Last Edit: 18 Feb '04 - 03:25 by Tsorovan »

Zarggg

« Reply #242 on: 18 Feb '04 - 01:45 »
Bravo, Tsorovan! I didn't have the guts to suggest this before, but it's a damn good idea.

Pike84

« Reply #243 on: 18 Feb '04 - 05:51 »
Yeah, it could make things clearer. Though, won't make a cut in 3.0, I think.
« Last Edit: 18 Feb '04 - 05:51 by Pike84 »

Tsorovan

« Reply #244 on: 18 Feb '04 - 17:47 »
Of course not, that wasn't my intention.
This thread should be renamed Suggestions for Whatever Version Comes in the Future. I'm taking for granted Ian keeps a list of requested/possible improvements/suggestions and carries it over to the next version.
« Last Edit: 18 Feb '04 - 17:47 by Tsorovan »

Knurek

« Reply #245 on: 18 Feb '04 - 17:57 »
I think we should make a 'Suggestions for 3.1' - it certainly ain't easy to browse the 17 pages of this one in search of something. ;)

Tsorovan

« Reply #246 on: 18 Feb '04 - 18:09 »
Yes. Let me explain the problems.

A Suggestions for Version n+1 thread can't really be created until v3.0 has been released yes? Not without being a bit goofy. At the same time, suggestions that are more radical and/or require more time to implement, where should they go? And won't we be permitted to suggest things close to a release like this? Like some people thought that these suggestions of mine actually WERE for v3.0, which they weren't.... (the small cosmetic ones were, though) yeah, I'm rambling.

AFAICT, this thread dies as soon as v3.0 is released and what carries over? I'm sure Ian has some stuff in the back of his head or just a simple suggestions list somewhere, but...
So, people (me included) end up pasting the same old suggestions from older version threads in the new thread so then we'll have 17 pages anyway.

Best-case scenario would be if Ian had a sticky thread with Planned features/changes (with reasonable timeframe/version to implement. Doesn't have to be religiously followed; just as a little helper), features/changes under scrutiny and similar, but that does possibly require a bit of work on Ian's part and it's perfectly understandable if he doesn't have time to do that—or the will.
« Last Edit: 18 Feb '04 - 18:16 by Tsorovan »

raina

« Reply #247 on: 19 Feb '04 - 20:19 »
Let me bounce my msg from the "New icon" thread because it really belongs here..

No matter which icon gets chosen it's impossible to please everyone. So.. I present that we'll have an option (in the [Playlist & Integration] tab) to change the default fileicon. Almost like WinAmp (atleast 2.x) but not in the sense of giving the users a limited built-in range of possibilities to choose from. Rather have a radiobutton selection ( ) Default (o) Custom and a button to [Browse] your HDs for a suitable icon for your XMPlayable files. That way one could make XMPlay appear the way one likes on one's system (providing one has the needed 5KiLL to change one's shortcut icons.)

Thanks for your patience.

Tsorovan

« Reply #248 on: 19 Feb '04 - 21:03 »
I concur. It's a very good idea.

Brightguy

Re: Suggestions for 2.9/3.0
« Reply #249 on: 20 Feb '04 - 03:53 »
I can't wait until 3.0!  I thought I'd slip in these comments right before the next release:

* The "Find tracks" playlist doesn't refresh itself when you remove a file or rearrange the playlist.

* I think I've mentioned this before, although I don't know if it is happening to anyone else.  If I maximise a window while XMPlay is first loading up, XMPlay gets hid behind that window, and wont appear when I first bring the focus to XMPlay.  (I have to give it the focus, deselect it, and then select it again to make the window appear.)  This started happening when the "Always on top" window problem was solved (in 2.8).