Author Topic: Suggestions for 2.9/3.0  (Read 84205 times)

raina

Re:Suggestions for 2.9/3.0
« Reply #50 on: 8 Oct '03 - 13:06 »
I know I've asked about this before but I can't recall what was the reason (or excuse ;) ) not making it happen. The thing that (still) bothers me is the problem
with scandinavian characters in modules. They are not displayed correctly.
I know this is due to different charsets used by windows and dos (where most PC-trackers run) but can't the characters be replaced when a module is loaded?
How hard could that be? I think not that hard although I don't know anything about
coding. I'm just a dumb trackermusician :)

Pike84

« Reply #51 on: 8 Oct '03 - 23:24 »
I'll see what Ian says about it, and depending on the answer, add to the topic starter. I think perhaps he can use it as a checklist then (unless he has one of his own of course) :). Of course, people can comment on the stuff there also.
« Last Edit: 8 Oct '03 - 23:25 by Pike84 »

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: 9 Oct '03 - 14:21 »
I know I've asked about this before but I can't recall what was the reason (or excuse ;) ) not making it happen. The thing that (still) bothers me is the problem
with scandinavian characters in modules.

You know the routine ;D

ftp://ftp.un4seen.com/incoming/

I don't know if it's possible to map all the characters to Windows (I've never looked into it, but I guess most must be possible). If someone wants to work out the mappings, they're welcome to :)

Regarding the SSE code thing... detecting the CPU capabilites isn't a problem, XMPlay of course already does that for MMX and 3DNow. The real question is is it worth it? It's not simply a case of switching a compiler option to optimize the mixing code for a specific CPU - it has to be optimized by hand. I don't personally use a P3/4, so the extra motivation for it is lacking ;D

Jay

« Reply #53 on: 9 Oct '03 - 22:04 »
Has the ability to edit ID3 tags been suggested yet?

Zarggg

« Reply #54 on: 9 Oct '03 - 23:50 »
Um, you can. Have you downloaded in_mp3.dll yet?

raina

« Reply #55 on: 10 Oct '03 - 10:20 »

You know the routine ;D

ftp://ftp.un4seen.com/incoming/

Dear Ian,

I was almost sure I knew the routine but I couldn't connect to the ftp.
Instead I uploaded the files elsewhere where elsewhere equals:

http://raina.daug.net/examples_of_scandinavian_characters_in_modules.zip

Attachment follows (also in the .zip):

Code: [Select]
read.me.ian.read.me.wont.you.please:

runxon.xm     :   neito imee kikkeli„   =   neito imee kikkeliä
eltainen.xm   :   eltainen k”rssi       =   eltainen körssi
bangem.xm     :   bang 'em h†rd         =   bang 'em hård
crambass.xm   :   cram it (bass.dll)   =   a bonus track..

i had to make
separate versions
for ft2 and xmplay
because there is
a teeny-weeny
difference in the
playback of
finetune effects.
nothing big and i
certainly did not
point this out just
to irritate you,
honestly!

raina / CoolPHat
signing off..

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: 10 Oct '03 - 15:11 »
I can't download your file. I guess it's a server on your home connection, and the pooter is currently switched off? Not having much luck with sending files lately are we ;D

The first 3 examples you mention look fairly straightforward, but the 4th looks like some real funky character mapping :P

kode54

« Reply #57 on: 11 Oct '03 - 01:20 »
It seems to be a pain, since the format doesn't include any means of communicating which code page the strings use.

Does this mean that all module strings will be decoded in the system DOS/OEM codepage instead of Windows codepage? (Since the old DOS trackers would be using the DOS mapping instead of Windows, of course.)

OT: Here's to more new formats using UTF-8 strings.

Tanyancong

« Reply #58 on: 11 Oct '03 - 09:35 »
i want to request that they will have a function for it to start the player minimised and have a function to let it auto startup

Burn-X

« Reply #59 on: 12 Oct '03 - 12:35 »
I seen request/suggestion for gapless playback, but it will be nice if this feature also allows users to add a user defined gaps between tracks like 2 - 4 seconds for MD recording.

I hope others will find this useful as well (unless I'm the only one still usind a MD)!

raina

« Reply #60 on: 13 Oct '03 - 13:59 »
I can't download your file. I guess it's a server on your home connection, and the pooter is currently switched off? Not having much luck with sending files lately are we ;D

Ok.. the file's now uploaded. Didn't seem to work on friday and the server where my link
points to is a public one. Weird communication problems between Finland and the UK I guess.

Pike84

« Reply #61 on: 13 Oct '03 - 15:46 »
I seen request/suggestion for gapless playback, but it will be nice if this feature also allows users to add a user defined gaps between tracks like 2 - 4 seconds for MD recording.

I don't see any downsides in this idea (although I don't have an MD player), so I guess I'm supporting it :).

Brian

« Reply #62 on: 14 Oct '03 - 11:57 »
Could we have some news as to when a new version of XMPLay might be released, please?  I check the website often but can never see any mention of this.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: 14 Oct '03 - 16:19 »
Ok.. the file's now uploaded.

Ok, it shouldn't be a problem to sort them for 3.0 - is that all of the characters that need sorting?

Could we have some news as to when a new version of XMPLay might be released, please?  I check the website often but can never see any mention of this.

I'm currently busy with BASS 2.0, and will be starting on XMPlay 3.0 after that's released, which should be later this month. There isn't any target date for the 3.0 release, but I expect it should be available before the end of the year.

Torkell

« Reply #64 on: 14 Oct '03 - 20:46 »
It'd make a nice Christmass pressie. 'Tis the season to use ex-em-play!

Zarggg

« Reply #65 on: 15 Oct '03 - 17:39 »
It'd make a nice Christmass pressie. 'Tis the season to use ex-em-play!

Fa la la la la la la la la ;D

IdeasGallore

« Reply #66 on: 17 Oct '03 - 16:40 »
Being able to set the playback sample rate for MODs is beautiful the way it is...

How about being able to use the built in 'MOD pattern display' and another visual at the same time?  Kindda like the old MED 3.0...

Justta thought.        

Walter

Posibiliti to back song in Random play mode
« Reply #67 on: 17 Oct '03 - 21:49 »
-Playing history.
I think sometimes, especially with big playlists, it'd be nice to see what has been played recently. Showing something like 10-20 last played tracks would be nice.

Something like this would be essential for a better random-track system, I think. Keep track of which track was played when and where in the playlist it fell.

That is VERY VERY important!!!! I always use random play, and is imposible to back tho the inmediate song played... that is bad.
En español: Es muy importante que se pueda reproducir el tema anterior (aunque sea 1 solo) al que se esta reproduciendo en la Reproduccion Aleatoria, ya que siempre que escucho temas, voy pasando y por ahi me paso de un tema y nunca mas lo puedo volver poner porque el listado de temas no se posiciona en el tema que se esta reproduciendo.
AutoLocate Playlist to current playing song!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kyle

« Reply #68 on: 18 Oct '03 - 01:33 »
My father and I have a home network with several computers throughout the house, we'd like it if there was a network synchronization feature.

TronixA

« Reply #69 on: 19 Oct '03 - 18:20 »
I do have just a couple of suggestions for XMplay and also a request for Ian, but first let me outline a couple items that would make XMPlayer awesome.
 -I believe that XMPlay could use a realtime sound equalizer which will process the outgoing signal as a module plays. This would effectively allow one to not have to manually set the eq for each individual song. When you have nearly over 400+ mods like I do and you add 20 or so every month it makes life a lot easier.  ;)
-Advanced surround effects. Is it possible to synthesize a surround environment ala QSound or to create something that is able to expand the sound a little more? Something that would make each instrument stand out and seem like it's coming from some certain direction (for those of us who have 5.1). What I notice is that the sound as a whole is usually sent to all 5 channels equally with most of the sound appearing to come from the front speakers. I never hear any particular instrument playing predominately from the rear channels.
          I do want to say that I like XMPlay- It's been one of my favorite players since ModPLug had ceased development (which was a crappy module player actually- it sounded muffled in comparison to XMPLay). To be honest however, Winamp does have great audio processing capability- unfortunately it has a crappy module processor which fails to play 15% of the modules out there correctly and also will not accept Zip as a valid file exention for a mod file (must be named using the ModPLug name convention which makes no sense).
           On that note Ian, I was going to ask you if I could possibly get the latest beta version that you have on XMplay?
           And one last question for everyone- What site would you recommend to get the latest and greatest Mod files these days? With the closure of many of the great Mod sites (hornet archive etc..) I've been left with just the Modarchive as a source however the webmaster is looking like he's getting tired of keeping his site maintained (he hasn't done any Top 10 lists for a very long time). Anyone know of a good site to get mods created for competitions (they are usually the highest quality)?
                                             Thanks all and thank you Ian for making a great mod player!!

Paul

« Reply #70 on: 19 Oct '03 - 18:59 »
          And one last question for everyone- What site would you recommend to get the latest and greatest Mod files these days? With the closure of many of the great Mod sites (hornet archive etc..) I've been left with just the Modarchive as a source however the webmaster is looking like he's getting tired of keeping his site maintained (he hasn't done any Top 10 lists for a very long time). Anyone know of a good site to get mods created for competitions (they are usually the highest quality)?
                                             Thanks all and thank you Ian for making a great mod player!!

Here are some links from my bookmarks, if this helps ;)

http://www.botteaap.net/~te/
http://www.activeinteractive.nl/rbi/flash/load_allmusic.html
http://www.exploitation.nl/tracks.asp?query=0
http://ftp.uk.kde.org/pub/aminet/mods/
http://www.dc5.org/demodulate/
http://www.back2roots.org/Music/
http://www.chiptune.com/

Alexsource

« Reply #71 on: 19 Oct '03 - 21:15 »
I came up with this since some ago and had completely forgot about it until recently, when i downloaded the newly added casablanca skin.
How about an option in the playlist tab in the options and stuff dialog, to automatically scroll the playlist/extended playlist towards the area where the file that is currently being played is? it would be useful for people that have huge playelists and use skins wich does not show the track lenght in the main window, like the aforementioned casablanca and pager. ;)

Pike84

« Reply #72 on: 19 Oct '03 - 21:55 »
Yeah, that would be cool :). With the small playlist, having scroll lock on will make XMP follow the currently playing track, but would be nice with the extended one too.
« Last Edit: 19 Oct '03 - 22:05 by Pike84 »

Walter

Scroll in Playlist
« Reply #73 on: 20 Oct '03 - 05:12 »
 ;D A Cool tip is the ability to scroll the playlist with MID Mouse button  :-*
An  sort songs by Autor.

Kyle

« Reply #74 on: 22 Oct '03 - 04:41 »
Back to CD's...I can't get XMplay to load music from mixed mode CD's, it would be nice if XMplay could do this in the future. I own the game "Descent II" The CD has some audio on it that I can play with windows Cdplayer, but no other applications (other than the game itself, and my cd-burner utility) can read the music, it'd be nice if XMplay would be able to read these.