Author Topic: xmplay.exe won't appear in my xmplay directory  (Read 183 times)

JimFlasch

No matter how many times I try to extract it into my xmplay directory, the xmplay.exe file does not appear there. Whitelisting the folder in Avast did nothing, and I cannot whitelist the app under that program's blocked and allowed apps unless it appears in the directory.

Keltic Danor

• XMPlay Support
Re: xmplay.exe won't appear in my xmplay directory
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jul '21 - 09:25 »
It probably gets caught in the temp folder or something instead.

You don't need the file there to allow it though, I'm pretty sure in the exclusions list of Avast you can type in any file name instead. Perhaps this will help https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/Antivirus-scan-exclusions

Rah'Dick

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jul '21 - 13:05 »
I think it's Windows not allowing external applications to write to the Programs\ directory (or subdirectories) without Admin consent. Archival apps such as 7-Zip or Winrar just silently fail to extract there. The solution is to extract xmplay.exe to your downloads first, then copy/move it to the final target directory with Explorer, which will possibly pop up an Admin consent box.

saga

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jul '21 - 16:26 »
Note: WinRAR (at least any recent version from the last few years) does not have this issue - it will show a UAC prompt when trying to extract to Program Files. But 7-zip definitely has this problem. Going through Explorer is probably the safer (less surprising) option, though.

JimFlasch

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jul '21 - 23:15 »
Actually, my XMplay directory in not in /programs or /programs (x86). And I did what Keltic Danor suggested before posting this note, and it didn't help. xmplay.exe still disappears right after I extract it into the directory.

Rah'Dick

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jul '21 - 09:44 »
Huh, didn't know WinRAR pops up a UAC prompt. You never stop learning. :-)
Ok, in that case it sounds like a virus scanner issue. xmplay.exe is a packed executable and these are often used by malicious software, too, so this must be a false positive. I'd suggest checking your antivirus package for any activity - maybe disable it for testing. Also see if MS Defender is still running (even though it shouldn't if it detects another antivirus).