Author Topic: XMPlay closing while playing some songs  (Read 4279 times)

Knurek

XMPlay closing while playing some songs
« on: 18 Nov '04 - 23:22 »
That one's kinda strange.

With some files, XMPlay just closes. No crash info, no nothing. Just stops playing and exits.

The weird thing is, the files play fine. Provided that XMPlay isn't minimalized to tray. If you (like me), have it always in tray it will just exit at the beginning of the file.

If your XMPlay is focused or just minimalized it will play fine. Until you'll try to send it to the tray. Then it will exit.

(Told ya it was weird)

The playlist position the file is on has no impact on this behaviour. Also tried it with and without input plugins - doesn't make any difference. Nor the skin used (tested with default and Flatline).

I tried to upload the file to ftp://ftp.un4seen.com/incoming. Not sure if it got through though. If not, and Ian's interested in this, I'll reupload it.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
Re:XMPlay closing while playing some songs
« Reply #1 on: 19 Nov '04 - 16:23 »
Strange, there's no problem doing that here. What Windows version are you using and what's your title format? Does changing the title format stop it happening?

Knurek

« Reply #2 on: 19 Nov '04 - 22:50 »
>What Windows version are you using and what's your >title format?

XP SP2 POL
"%1 - %2 - %3 - %4"

>Does changing the title format stop it happening?

Actually yes.
"%1" is good. As is "%2". And "%3". And "%4".
"%1 - %2" - good.
"%3 - %4" also good.
"%1 - %2 - %4" - no problems.
"%1 - %3 - %4" - no problems.
"%2 - %3 - %4" - no problems.
"%1 - %3 - %2 - %4" - no problems!
"%1 - %3 - %3 - %4" - no problems either.
"%1 - %2 - %4 - %3" - still no problems.
"%1 - %2 - %3" - exits.

Hope this helps somehow.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 21 Nov '04 - 15:14 »
Yep, sorted for the next release :)

Knurek

« Reply #4 on: 21 Nov '04 - 17:08 »
Great. The fabled next release keeps getting sweeter and sweeter by day.

What was exactly wrong? It's always good to read some tech talk once in a while. ;)

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 23 Nov '04 - 17:29 »
Tray "tooltips" have a maximum length of 63 characters (64 including null-terminator), so XMPlay needs to chop the title text if it's longer than that. The problem was that XMPlay wasn't adding the null-terminator when it did that.

That alone probably wouldn't cause a crash, but if there happen to be any '&' characters (which have to be expanded to be displayed correctly) after the 63rd character... trouble ;)

Roj

« Reply #6 on: 13 Dec '04 - 21:43 »
Tray "tooltips" have a maximum length of 63 characters (64 including null-terminator), so XMPlay needs to chop the title text if it's longer than that. The problem was that XMPlay wasn't adding the null-terminator when it did that.

That alone probably wouldn't cause a crash, but if there happen to be any '&' characters (which have to be expanded to be displayed correctly) after the 63rd character... trouble ;)

I just encountered the title bug of this thread.  Glad to see it's been cured.  When's 3.2?

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 14 Dec '04 - 13:57 »
I was originally hoping to have it ready for Chrimbo, but it'll probably be January now, what with the seasonal distractions/etc... :)

Torkell

« Reply #8 on: 14 Dec '04 - 16:04 »
Tray "tooltips" have a maximum length of 63 characters (64 including null-terminator)

I think they increased that to 128 including null-terminator in Win2k/XP/later, so maybe XMPlay could check OS version and use the longer tooltip if possible?

Tsorovan

« Reply #9 on: 14 Dec '04 - 16:56 »
Those 2K/XP (and ME?) "speech bubble" type of thingies can have much longer strings. I believe.
« Last Edit: 14 Dec '04 - 16:56 by Tsorovan »

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: 15 Dec '04 - 15:21 »
I think they increased that to 128 including null-terminator in Win2k/XP/later, so maybe XMPlay could check OS version and use the longer tooltip if possible?

Yep, indeed it has been increased to 128... it'll be supported in the next release :)

Roj

« Reply #11 on: 15 Dec '04 - 17:20 »
I was originally hoping to have it ready for Chrimbo, but it'll probably be January now, what with the seasonal distractions/etc... :)

Kewl - and the best of the Season to you and yours. :)