Author Topic: Popping at the beginning of each song  (Read 3604 times)

cbc

Popping at the beginning of each song
« on: 14 Dec '04 - 01:15 »
Started to notice that whenever I play any music track, whether it's mp3, flac, or ape, and then select another before the current tune is done, I am hearing a pretty significant pop or click at the start of each track. Is there any way to prevent this?
I guess it's kinda small potatoes, but still annoying as heck, since other players do not do this. Other than that (beside hoping for scrolling songtitles someday) XMPlay rocks!

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
Re:Popping at the beginning of each song
« Reply #1 on: 14 Dec '04 - 13:59 »
Do you have any DSP on? If so, see if the problem happens without them. And if that helps, try to find which exactly was causing it :)

cbc

« Reply #2 on: 14 Dec '04 - 14:39 »
 @Ian

thanks for your quick reply. Nope, I don't have any "effects" enabled, as I  really don't like them for music. I just have the MAD , flac, & Monkey's plugins installed. Everything else is pretty much at default settings. I went thru all the Options again last night to see if I might have switched something on, but nada.
Running XPPro SP2, P4 2.8E, 1 GB RAM, Audigy NX USB 2.0. Never had this pop issue with any other player. Everything is configged to simple 2 channel playback ???

Tsorovan

« Reply #3 on: 14 Dec '04 - 16:05 »
I got this with my M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496 if I had set it to "reset [sample] rate when idle". Sounds like it could be something like that, maybe? I'm not familiar with Audigy option sets, sorry.

cbc

« Reply #4 on: 14 Dec '04 - 17:54 »

hmm...I think I did change around  the sample rates. Will take a look tonight. Thanks for the idea!

cbc

« Reply #5 on: 15 Dec '04 - 01:10 »

OK..I was able to stop the pop by changing resolution in XMP from 24 bit back down to 16bit. Since the Audigy can do up to 24 bit, I was hoping to be able to play at that bitrate, but oh well.

Pike84

« Reply #6 on: 15 Dec '04 - 09:57 »
I don't have this problem with my Audigy2.. Anyway, you could always try updating your sound card's drivers, if possible.

cbc

« Reply #7 on: 15 Dec '04 - 14:35 »

True, except that it was able to render 24/32 bit resolution using WinAmp & Qintessential without any problems. Not sure why XMplay would need Audigy driver updates to get it to work.    :-\

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: 15 Dec '04 - 15:18 »
I also don't have the problem with an Audigy 2 here. Anyway, if you've not already done so, you could try enabling "DSP volume & balance" (right-click the volume slider).