Author Topic: Can't edit tags unless file is in library?  (Read 4816 times)

J44xm

Can't edit tags unless file is in library?
« on: 22 Feb '05 - 21:05 »
Why is it that files' tags can no longer be edited unless they're in the library? I don't keep any music logged in the library; I just choose files and folders from my HD to play.

Rah'Dick

• XMPlay Support
Re: Can't edit tags unless file is in library?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Feb '05 - 22:58 »
That is because XMPlay doesn't really modify the tags; it just overrides them for individual use with itself.
The additional info/tag that you entered is only kept by XMPlay's library.
You can't use XMPlay for real tag editing yet, unless you use a special plugin for tag editing.

J44xm

« Reply #2 on: 23 Feb '05 - 01:34 »
Ohhh! Thanks much for the info!

Pike84

« Reply #3 on: 23 Feb '05 - 10:10 »
You can't use XMPlay for real tag editing yet, unless you use a special plugin for tag editing.
...which is what a lot of people do though, I'm sure. I don't really know if anything's changed from the previous versions - you can still edit different tags of files by right-click->plugin file info, if you have the appropriate plugin (ie. in_mp3.dll), just like before.

Jace

« Reply #4 on: 23 Feb '05 - 13:06 »
A semi-related question..
Are the tags saved only by path and filename?
If I rename/move a file, will it lose the tag or is there something cleverer happening?

Knurek

« Reply #5 on: 23 Feb '05 - 14:05 »
A semi-related question..
Are the tags saved only by path and filename?
If I rename/move a file, will it lose the tag or is there something cleverer happening?

Unfortunately yes.
You see now why I was pushing so much for hash+size file identification. :)

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 23 Feb '05 - 14:45 »
If you've made some tag changes that you don't want to lose or re-enter, you could just change the filename in the library entry instead (to reflect what/where the file is now). I know that's still a bit bothersome, but probably less so than retyping everything, particularly with strategic use of shortcuts and copy'n'paste :)