Author Topic: weird noise at the beggining of an mp3  (Read 4946 times)

Alexsource

weird noise at the beggining of an mp3
« on: 19 Feb '05 - 21:54 »
I'm uploading a file that play just fine in videolan client, but not in xmplay 3.2. Actually, i've noticed this a long time ago, and kept forgetting to report it :P. Maybe is the file and not xmplay, but just to be sure...
The file (Hilda_of_Polaris.mp3), starts with a weird buzz-noise-thing in xmplay, then the music starts. There's no further noise after that. Also, the track duration seems to differ in one second, 4:04(vlc) and 4:05(xmplay), wich is probably just a minor thing.
[edit]it also seems to play just fine in quintaessential cd 4.51a[/edit]
« Last Edit: 19 Feb '05 - 22:14 by Alexsource »

Vesh

Re: weird noise at the beggining of an mp3
« Reply #1 on: 19 Feb '05 - 22:19 »
Is it a very quick, mid-to-high pitched "Grzzrrrzzt" type of noise? I've noticed it on a couple of my tracks as well, but I'd have to listen some more to find one that does it. I cant remember one off the top of my head.

Alexsource

« Reply #2 on: 19 Feb '05 - 23:35 »
Yeah, that's what it sounds like.  This is the only one of my files i 've found this on.

Vesh

« Reply #3 on: 20 Feb '05 - 00:00 »
Ok. I've heard it on... maybe about three of my tracks with 3.2.  Later tonight when I start listening to tracks, I'll find em and upload em to FTP del Debuggo.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 20 Feb '05 - 14:36 »
I don't have QCD, but I tried playing your file in the latest VLC, and the weird noise was there. It's also there in Winamp and Foobar. Windows Media Player won't even play the file :)

Anyway, it's caused by a corrupt frame near the start of the file. As of 3.2, XMPlay will remove most of those "corrupt MP3" sounds, but not all.

Alexsource

« Reply #5 on: 20 Feb '05 - 16:06 »
Kinda weird, I have downloaded the latest vlc nightlie, and pumped the volume to the max, and i can't hear it... neither on the stable 0.81 build... :P:P:P All i notice is a small "pop" sound, and that could have been becuase the volume was at the max ..... maybe the noise somehow never gets to my soundcard on anything but xmplay? ??? (an integrated SiS 7018 sound card, crappy, i know).
Well, anyway, it's nice to know what that noise was  :) ;)

ghammer

« Reply #6 on: 20 Feb '05 - 20:09 »
You could run MP3Utility and let it find the bad files in your collection.
Then you can re-rip them.
Or if the bad frames are at the very beginning or very end, you could use another tool to simply 'fix'/remove them.

Alexsource

« Reply #7 on: 24 Feb '05 - 14:33 »
Cool, i'll look iinto this ;)