Author Topic: XMPlay SID plugin  (Read 307644 times)

piovrauz

Re: XMPlay SID plugin
« Reply #125 on: 19 Jan '06 - 11:18 »
Ehm, when I launch XMPlay I get an info box telling me that MSVCP71.DLL is missing or improperly registered, even if it's Windows/System32... Since I needed to format, now I can't play SIDs anymore. :'(

Please help this poor soul...

Dotpitch

« Reply #126 on: 19 Jan '06 - 13:27 »
Have you tried rebooting? Dll's aren't exactly hot-pluggable, especially not in windows\system ::).
« Last Edit: 19 Jan '06 - 14:36 by Dotpitch »

Mr_Rabid_Teddybear

« Reply #127 on: 19 Jan '06 - 14:07 »
Code: [Select]
regsvr32 MSVCP71.DLLto register

Code: [Select]
regsvr32 /u MSVCP71.DLLto unregister

piovrauz

« Reply #128 on: 19 Jan '06 - 15:19 »
My problem is that when I register this dll I get a message that says "entry point not found", and so I can't get it working...
I Know it's not really a SID plugin related things, but I'd like to solve this issue.
(in the past it worked, what I installed to get this working?)

raina

« Reply #129 on: 19 Jan '06 - 18:42 »
Did a search on the .dll's and found them, ironically enough, on Sidplay2/w's folder. Ironically in the sense that I only downloaded Sidplay2/w as a temporary replacement for the seemingly defunct xmp-sid. Moving the libraries into %windir%\system made everything all peachy again.

Torkell

« Reply #130 on: 19 Jan '06 - 19:44 »
They're not the sort of dlls that can be registered with regsvr32. All that needs to be done with them is to make sure they're either a) in the same directory as the program/plugin/dll that wants them (in this case, same folder as the sid plugin), or b) somewhere in your path (which includes system32).

They can be just dropped in there without rebooting - Windows checks for dlls whenever a program requests one.

denial

« Reply #131 on: 19 Jan '06 - 23:48 »
I have a really odd problem.. XMPlay doesn't seem to be loading the plugin AT ALL. No SIDs get played. It is sad. :(

I have the same problem, XMplay (3.3) doesn't load the plugin, nor i'm not able to play SIDs. I'm using windows 98 and have all system patches, updates and also the Msvcp71.dll and Msvcr71.dll files in path ... :(

Zarggg

« Reply #132 on: 20 Jan '06 - 04:43 »
Well, it works now, but now it said "SLDB: Not Loaded". STIL is loaded, however. Are they mutually exclusive, or am I doing something wrong?

Edit: Never mind. Just now noticed the silly little checkbox. ::)
« Last Edit: 20 Jan '06 - 04:53 by Zarggg »

piovrauz

« Reply #133 on: 23 Jan '06 - 08:01 »
Resolved! Now I can play SIDs like than before.

I've put in \Windows\ the dlls named: msvcp71.dll, msvcr71.dll and MFC71.dll taken from "Programs\Common\ACD Systems" (Acdsee 8 demo); without regsrv32 them or rebooting I got the plugin working. I had to copy all 3 of them, and voillą.

Tanks for the hints.

Fraggie

« Reply #134 on: 23 Jan '06 - 08:28 »
MFC??? :)

piovrauz

« Reply #135 on: 23 Jan '06 - 08:47 »
Don't ask me... I don't know what I've done, I've just copy&pasted some files (guessing about the *71.dll), now it works, I dunno why... But I'm happy.

raina

« Reply #136 on: 23 Jan '06 - 10:33 »
I don't think the MFC one was required at all to get it working. He simply copied it too because of the version number match.

@piovrauz, How's your system running if your system folders are not in the path. Just curious.
« Last Edit: 23 Jan '06 - 10:36 by raina »

piovrauz

« Reply #137 on: 23 Jan '06 - 11:04 »
@ Raina

True, I simply copied the tree files with the number version 71, just after finding them, I don't know if all of them were necessary, but I wanted to let people know that here it solved all problems.

Btw, what do you mean by "your system folders are not in the path"? My folders are where they must be (I suppose); maybe an error by me translating from localized version?

raina

« Reply #138 on: 23 Jan '06 - 11:28 »
Btw, what do you mean by "your system folders are not in the path"? My folders are where they must be (I suppose); maybe an error by me translating from localized version?
By path I mean the PATH environment variable (check My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced). The variable specifies in which locations Windows should look for files and executables if they're called and not found in the working directory. By default this includes at least %SystemRoot% and %SystemRoot%\System32, but yeah, seems like on my work comp (W2K) %SystemRoot%\System isn't there. So if you'd put the dll's in System32 instead of System it would have worked. On Win9x there's also System and System32 but they both are in PATH, or it might be that the situation is reversed and System32 is missing.

piovrauz

« Reply #139 on: 23 Jan '06 - 11:51 »
Ah, I got it.

My PATH variable should include both %SystemRoot% and %SystemRoot%\System32 (if I remember correctly), since I put the dll in C:\Windows.

I have both System and System32 dirs.

My OS is XP with added SP2 (nLite), the only environment variable I changed are TEMP and TMP (to point to the same goo ol' dir...); I guess it's a standard setup, even at work it's the same.

Piovrauz

raina

« Reply #140 on: 23 Jan '06 - 12:39 »
I think it's interesting that they left the System dir out of the default path. I'd say it seems a bit illogical for anyone who's an experienced Win9x user and upgrades to XP.

Yeah, the first thing I configure on an XP machine is to point TEMP and TMP to c:\temp. I mean who cares to look for some leftover temp files under Windows' folders?

Torkell

« Reply #141 on: 23 Jan '06 - 13:29 »
I think it's interesting that they left the System dir out of the default path. I'd say it seems a bit illogical for anyone who's an experienced Win9x user and upgrades to XP.
It stems from the days of WfW 3.11 and NT 3.5. WfW was 16-bit, and used C:\Windows\system. NT 3.5 was 32-bit, and so used C:\Windows\system32.

It helps to remember that Windows 95, 98 and ME are basically 32-bit versions of Windows 3.11, and 200 and XP are NT 5 and 5.1 in disguise.

piovrauz

« Reply #142 on: 23 Jan '06 - 13:32 »
So I'll expect a system64 and a system128 dir soon or later...

Torkell

« Reply #143 on: 23 Jan '06 - 17:02 »
(edit: me wrong. WinXP-64 stores 64-bit stuff in system32, and 32-bit stuff in WOW64 (redirected as needed for 32-bit programs)).
« Last Edit: 23 Jan '06 - 17:04 by BoggyB »

denial

« Reply #144 on: 27 Jan '06 - 21:58 »
hello,

can somebody CONFIRM that this SID plugin works or NOT in windows 98?
because not at me.......

thanks

raina

« Reply #145 on: 28 Jan '06 - 13:36 »
It works. I'm currently running the Windows (98) Millennium Edition. Try running XMPlay from another folder that doesn't have any extra components except the SID plugin so you can rule out the possibility it's caused by another plugin.

denial

« Reply #146 on: 31 Jan '06 - 15:24 »
>  I'm currently running the Windows (98) Millennium Edition

what does mean (98) ME .......... ???

windows 98 is one windows and windows MILLENIUM (ME) is another one - newer......

i'm running Windows 98 [Version 4.10.2222]  and NOT millenium......... if it works on ME it does not mean it works also on 98 ................

i copied into EMPTY folder this TWO files:
XMPLAY   EXE       260 338  13.01.06  14.43 XMPLAY.EXE
XMP-SID  DLL        82 432  10.01.06  12.42 XMP-SID.DLL

ran the xmplay.exe, tried open a SID file and without any effect - i canNOT play it  (i get no errors)

raina

« Reply #147 on: 31 Jan '06 - 16:20 »
It was a joke. ME and 98 are basically the same thing and Millennium Edition just continues the naming convention Second Edition started. They just couldn't keep calling it 98 anymore because it was already 2000, so they dropped it out. ME only adds drivers, USB data storage support out of the box and small cosmetic changes (256-color tray shows the XMPlay icon correctly 8)). Technically ME has no advantages over 98. I'll be damned if there's a piece of software out there that runs on ME but not on 98 (and doesn't execute on the condition that operating system version is 4.10.2222 or lower).

Hmm, it seems I confused your post with piovrauz' one before. In addition to the files you mention, do you or do you not have the files MSVCP71.DLL and MSVCR71.DLL? They should be placed in either the same folder with the plugin, or in a dir that the PATH variable refers to, like C:\WINDOWS or C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM.

DoomRater

« Reply #148 on: 8 Feb '06 - 23:09 »
I had a problem with it until I made sure I had both of those dlls in my system folder.  (They were required for SLADE, a Doom map editor, so that finally motivated me to get them)  Now the plugin works fine.

I think it should throw an error if it doesn't find the plugins- it's leaving a lot of people clueless!

Zarggg

« Reply #149 on: 15 Feb '06 - 00:01 »
I think it should throw an error if it doesn't find the plugins- it's leaving a lot of people clueless!

Seconded.