Author Topic: XMPlay SID plugin  (Read 374770 times)

Mr.Eeh

Re: XMPlay SID plugin
« Reply #250 on: 23 Mar '07 - 17:10 »
I know it's a bit off-topic, but I gotta tell you all sidaholics, that one guy recorded the whole HVSC into mp3 on both sidchips..

check www.6581-8580.com

Fraggie

« Reply #251 on: 24 Mar '07 - 13:41 »
It seems SLDB entry for this file is missing! (At least I couldn't find it in Songlengths.txt.)

I've found in HVSC 46:
Code: [Select]
; /MUSICIANS/B/Blues_Muz/Reel_Fishing_preview.sid
a201d88d9c2ca0067f9e93202cfc4a30=1:34 1:57 1:02 0:44 0:40 1:07 3:05 1:08 1:09 0:22 1:10 1:21 0:04 0:02(G) 0:01(G) 0:01(G) 0:01(G) 0:18 0:18 0:18 0:18 0:02(G) 0:02(G) 0:01(G) 0:01(G) 0:01(G) 0:01(G) 0:01(G) 0:08 0:02(G) 0:01(G) 0:02(G) 0:01(G) 0:01(G) 0:02(G) 0:02 0:01 0:01 0:16 0:16 0:13 0:15 0:15 0:15 0:01(G) 0:04 0:04 0:01 0:01(G) 0:01(G) 0:01(G) 0:01(G) 0:01(G) 0:02(G) 0:02(G) 0:02(G) 0:01(G)
Right. I took the wrong database. :) Anyways, you probably noticed that MD5 fingerprint from the SLDB is different to the one calculated by the plugin. That is probably because of the speed issue you also mention.

sidplay2w displays VBI for 33-44 and CIA for 45-57
I'd say sidplay2w is wrong with this.

Here's why. There are two speed setting interpretations for tunes above subsong 32. First method uses speeds from songs 1-32 for songs 33-64, 65-76, etc. Which means song 33 gets speed of song 1, song 34 gets speed of song 2 and so on. This method was used by the orignal PlaySID. When using the second interpretation, all songs above number 32 get speed of song 32. This method is used with PSID2NG sids unless a flag states the old method should be used. (Actually the first method is a result of a bug in the PlaySID. It was intended to behave like the second method!)

To make this long story short -- all PSID v2 files should use the new method unless it is explicitly specified in the header. The old method should be used also for PSID v1 files. Your file is in PSID2NG format and flags in it's header don't say that the old method is better.

I'd guess that sidplay2w and HVSC's songlength tool aren't completely PSIDv2NG compliant. (This new (correct) speed interpretation was introduced to libsidplay2 in May 2006, while the latest sidplay2w version is from June 2005.)

I know it's a bit off-topic, but I gotta tell you all sidaholics, that one guy recorded the whole HVSC into mp3 on both sidchips..
A great source of reference!

(Timbaland could've waited a bit, with this site composing would've been even easier for him.)

Knurek

« Reply #252 on: 24 Mar '07 - 16:08 »
(Timbaland could've waited a bit, with this site composing would've been even easier for him.)

Never thought I'd see someone mention Timbaland and composing in one sentence...

deus-ex

« Reply #253 on: 24 Mar '07 - 19:05 »
Never thought I'd see someone mention Timbaland and composing in one sentence...

;D ;D ;D

Fraggie

« Reply #254 on: 24 Mar '07 - 21:14 »
Sorry.

saivert

« Reply #256 on: 16 Jul '07 - 15:20 »
On a Pentium III 700MHz system the XMLPlay program consumes 50% CPU time when playing SIDs.
sidplay2/w (stand-alone SID player for windows) only consumes around 12%.

How come? Both are using full C64 environment and the same engine. Is there any overhead when playing through XMPlay's output engine?

Fraggie

« Reply #257 on: 18 Jul '07 - 11:25 »
Switch the plugin to mono mode.

saivert

Something *is* wrong!
« Reply #258 on: 28 Jul '07 - 02:49 »
I might have seen this the wrong way. I thought the XMPlay SID plugin was written badly such that it was inefficient. I have used Process Explorer (which is way better than task manager) and discovered that in fact sidplay2/w has the same CPU utilization during playback, but still sidplay2/w does not make the mouse cursor lag.
I think this is down to XMPlay SID plugin not yielding enough to other threads/processes during playback. It kinda holds on to the CPU for far long while sidplay2/w more easily lets other processes use the CPU too.
This should be easy to fix.

saga

« Reply #259 on: 16 Jan '08 - 16:53 »
If i check "Repeat short songs [   ] time(s)", the actual value will be saved when XMplay quits, but the checkbox before that option will be unticked again when I restart XMplay, so songs' won't be repeated anymore :-\

Fraggie

« Reply #260 on: 17 Jan '08 - 20:47 »
If i check "Repeat short songs [   ] time(s)", the actual value will be saved when XMplay quits, but the checkbox before that option will be unticked again when I restart XMplay, so songs' won't be repeated anymore :-\
This one, for a change, is systematic... :)

Anyways, t'is fixed for next release.

Elrinth

« Reply #261 on: 13 Mar '08 - 14:04 »
First comment:
Dragging the C64music folder (of latest HVSC 47) into XMPlay crashes XMPlay. My solution? I made a .pls and .m3u with the help of winamp, so first dragging in all sids and save playlist then opening that in XMPlay.. Works, yay so I can play sids.. wohoo

Onto next comment:
I use revision 25b and have the following settings changed from default:
HVSC paths:
  HVSC: C:\C64Music
  DOCUMENTS: C:\C64Music\DOCUMENTS
STIL:
  everything marked here
Song Lengths:
  load song lengths from SLDB checked, add fade-out time 300 ms

my problem? yes well XMPlay starts playing the next sid tune after listening through a bunch of tunes and only like a second in on it XMPlay closes without any notify or anything. Is it possible to get any kind of error report?

XMPlay's sidplugin is much better than the winamp one. winamp's sidplugin has alot more errors, like sid error on different songs.

Winamp randomizer is better than XMPlay as if I heard a good song recently I can easily just press previous in winamp. but in XMPlay I only have randomize next tune :/

CPU comparison between winamp and xmplay on Paul Kubiszyn -Musical Weirdness:
winamp -> 04 CPU, XMplay -> 12 CPU
winamp -> 30 984 kB memory, XMplay -> 14 240 kB memory
tehn again memory doesn't matter as it's probably all my plugins I have for winamp which I don't have yet for xmplay.

batman caped crusader tune 1
06 CPU xmplay
02-04 CPU winamp

winamp starts MUCH faster than xmplay...

so there, a bit of comparison. sidplugin = better for xmplay, but sadly like winampplugin shuts down the program randomly (or perhaps at a place which I can't find)
winamp = better program than xmplay in a bunch of stuff except subtune playing control :D

Keep up the great work!
« Last Edit: 13 Mar '08 - 16:11 by Elrinth »

Dotpitch

« Reply #262 on: 13 Mar '08 - 14:11 »
Winamp randomizer is better than XMPlay as if I heard a good song recently I can easily just press previous in winamp. but in XMPlay I only have randomize next tune :/
Add all your SIDs to XMPlay's library and activate the 'Last play'-column. It's not the same, but at least you can see the previous track now :).

Zarggg

« Reply #263 on: 13 Mar '08 - 16:09 »
Add all your SIDs to XMPlay's library and activate the 'Last play'-column. It's not the same, but at least you can see the previous track now :).
Or just use the shuffle function on the playlist, rather than "random play".

Dragging the C64music folder (of latest HVSC 47) into XMPlay crashes XMPlay. My solution? I made a .pls and .m3u with the help of winamp, so first dragging in all sids and save playlist then opening that in XMPlay.. Works, yay so I can play sids.. wohoo
This happens because XMPlay chokes on the sheer number of files to verify/scan. Try adding them one or two sub-directories at a time, giving XMPlay time to scan them, and save your playlist occasionally in the event of an unexpected crash. I did this for release number 43 (I haven't really updated a master playlist since then) and it worked just fine for me. :)
« Last Edit: 13 Mar '08 - 16:13 by Zarggg »

Elrinth

« Reply #264 on: 13 Mar '08 - 16:14 »
sweet, the shuffle function was actually lightning fast! thanx!

Fraggie

« Reply #265 on: 13 Mar '08 - 16:33 »
so there, a bit of comparison. sidplugin = better for xmplay, but sadly like winampplugin shuts down the program randomly (or perhaps at a place which I can't find)
If it's easy for you to reproduce the problem, please try to crash it with STIL and SLDB disabled. If you're able then maybe it's something wrong with libsidplay2 then...?

boobuts

« Reply #266 on: 15 Mar '08 - 10:05 »
Disabling only STIL cures the crashing problem (played about 100 or so sids without a problem).

Fraggie

« Reply #267 on: 15 Mar '08 - 10:49 »
Thx. I'll look into it...

heechee

« Reply #268 on: 16 Mar '08 - 08:42 »
Hey, a new resid version is out: http://bel.fi/~alankila/c64-sw/

Just to inform the author of the world's best SID plugin. :)

Fraggie

« Reply #269 on: 16 Mar '08 - 09:21 »
This is a third party modification.

Dhry

« Reply #270 on: 18 Mar '08 - 23:28 »
Hey, a new resid version is out: http://bel.fi/~alankila/c64-sw/

Just to inform the author of the world's best SID plugin. :)

The changelog on that site says that he's making changes in April - when it's still March! :)
Not sure I'd trust any code written by a coder who doesn't know what today's date is..

Dhry

Zarggg

« Reply #271 on: 19 Mar '08 - 16:12 »
At least he started that changelog with the right month. ;D

Elrinth

« Reply #272 on: 14 May '08 - 08:15 »
I'm not sure if it's possible at the moment, but could you add this feature:
* if song doesn't have song length specified in STIL/SLDB then go to next tune when silence has appeared (this will override the default song length)

I listened to Ben Daglish - Mask tune and it continued even tho it was silent for the 3 minutes I had specified as default song length.

*has totally converted to xmplay
« Last Edit: 14 May '08 - 08:18 by Elrinth »

Zarggg

« Reply #273 on: 14 May '08 - 17:09 »
* if song doesn't have song length specified in STIL/SLDB then go to next tune when silence has appeared (this will override the default song length)
Better idea, since default song length only takes effect if STIL/SLDB are unloaded or length not defined:

Secondary option under default song length:
[ ] Advance after (input box) seconds of silence

Elrinth

« Reply #274 on: 14 May '08 - 19:31 »
is it possible to choose to add only ONE of the songs in the sid to the playlist? like i only want the second tune in the sid.
if not, then that's a feature request! :D

if you don't have intention of continuing any work, then I would want the source and see if I can do anything with it.
I saw on your site source code available by request. however if you intend on adding this yourself, it'll probably be alot better if you handle it :)

keep up the good work.
« Last Edit: 15 May '08 - 10:10 by Elrinth »