Author Topic: XMPlay SID plugin  (Read 375914 times)

Zarggg

Re: XMPlay SID plugin
« Reply #275 on: 15 May '08 - 17:13 »
is it possible to choose to add only ONE of the songs in the sid to the playlist? like i only want the second tune in the sid.
if not, then that's a feature request! :D
This is actually something that should be implemented within XMPlay itself. What I'd like to see is sub-tracks of all file types being added to the playlist as separate entries.

Fraggie

« Reply #276 on: 16 May '08 - 15:49 »
I'm not sure if it's possible at the moment, but could you add this feature:
* if song doesn't have song length specified in STIL/SLDB then go to next tune when silence has appeared (this will override the default song length)
I listened to Ben Daglish - Mask tune and it continued even tho it was silent for the 3 minutes I had specified as default song length.
This sounds a bit filthy to me. The seek bar would be pretty useless then. What to do if one seeked to the silent part?

BTW, how is it possible for a SID file to be not collected by HVSC? Maybe you just need to upgrade the collection?

Zarggg

« Reply #277 on: 16 May '08 - 17:19 »
Would it be plausible to scan the file (and subtracks) when loaded and detect the silence ahead of time, then adjust the playback data accordingly?

Elrinth

« Reply #278 on: 16 May '08 - 23:30 »
I'm not sure if it's possible at the moment, but could you add this feature:
* if song doesn't have song length specified in STIL/SLDB then go to next tune when silence has appeared (this will override the default song length)
I listened to Ben Daglish - Mask tune and it continued even tho it was silent for the 3 minutes I had specified as default song length.
This sounds a bit filthy to me. The seek bar would be pretty useless then. What to do if one seeked to the silent part?

BTW, how is it possible for a SID file to be not collected by HVSC? Maybe you just need to upgrade the collection?

hehe I think I had actually turned off the song length... but it seems SID with song lengths enabled crashes xmplay.I find it lame that xmplay shuts down without notifying anything, an error log would've been nice.
if one seek to the silent part, then it starts the timer (5 seconds of silence then switch tune) because it noticed silence.
« Last Edit: 16 May '08 - 23:33 by Elrinth »

Fraggie

« Reply #279 on: 17 May '08 - 08:18 »
Would it be plausible to scan the file (and subtracks) when loaded and detect the silence ahead of time, then adjust the playback data accordingly?
This is how it should've been done in the first place, however loading a SID file would take ages then. That's why they made SLDB.

hehe I think I had actually turned off the song length... but it seems SID with song lengths enabled crashes xmplay.I find it lame that xmplay shuts down without notifying anything, an error log would've been nice.
Then please give examples of troublesome files. (And why would you expect error messages on a _crash_?)
« Last Edit: 17 May '08 - 08:23 by Fraggie »

Fraggie

« Reply #280 on: 30 Aug '08 - 13:27 »
Revision 25c has been released:
Changes:
 - fixed Top100 rank when playing from outside of HVSC,
 - fixed "Repeat short songs" option saving,
 - added support for update notification
 - added the historical "PSID" extension to the integration list
« Last Edit: 31 Aug '08 - 08:41 by Fraggie »

saga

« Reply #281 on: 15 Oct '08 - 21:50 »
I'm not sure if you can do anything about it, but here's a quite troublesome case:
http://www.se2a1.net:81/soasc/SID/MUSICIANS/C/Clarke_Peter/Bubble_Bobble.sid
Especially subtune 7/8 show the problem pretty well:
- in surround mode, the sound gets an *incredible* DC offset which totally destroys the sound
- the together with the snare sound in subtune 8, you hear some clicking, even with surround disabled.

Fraggie

« Reply #282 on: 18 Oct '08 - 10:29 »
The second issue seems to be a problem with the SID filters. You can try disabling them for now.
The first issue I cannot reproduce. Please post your [SID] part of xmplay.ini. Also a recording of what you hear would be cool. :)

saga

« Reply #283 on: 18 Oct '08 - 11:35 »
okay, here are the files :)
(temporary link removed)

EDIT: Disabling SID filters seems to fix *both* problems...
« Last Edit: 19 Nov '08 - 10:15 by saga »

Fraggie

« Reply #284 on: 18 Oct '08 - 13:17 »
So does the surround option have anything to do with the problems? If it does and if you are using ASIO, please switch to Wave Out and try if it makes any difference.

saga

« Reply #285 on: 18 Oct '08 - 16:18 »
I use DirectSound and this is what happens:
- Filters + Surround: Clicks, huge incredible DC offset
- Filters + NO Surround: Clicks
- NO Filters + Surround: Works perfectly!

modrobert

« Reply #286 on: 18 Nov '08 - 11:15 »
I got xmplay 3.4.2.1 crashes (app just disappear in my win xp sp3) like every 15 minutes or so using SID rev.25c (also rev.25b before that) on the HVSC #49, tried to change just about every setting this plugin has. Usually the crash came in the first seconds of a sid tune, other than that I failed to see any pattern. My first guess was the fade-in and fade-out settings or the filter settings, but it didn't matter. I also tried to upgrade to xmplay 3.4.2.72 (stuff version), didn't help either, though it seem a bit further between crashes (probably placebo effect). Playing only mp3 or various amiga mods was no problem, so the crash was triggered by the SID plugin somehow.

Today I installed the DirectSound plugin for xmplay and now it works perfect!

I have the ASUS P5K SE motherboard (and Intel Quad Core 2 CPU) with Realtek HD Audio driver for Windows XP. The selected "Output Device" now reads "DirectSound - Realtek HD Audio output", before it was "Realtek HD Audio output".

BTW:

There is significant sound improvement in my setup using the linear interpolation sampling method with external filter setting.
« Last Edit: 18 Nov '08 - 11:41 by modrobert »

Elrinth

« Reply #287 on: 19 Nov '08 - 16:00 »

so what you're saying is that if I change to DirectSound then sids won't crash xmplay any more?
because I've had random crashes with it... I'll give it a chance when I get home! thx!

EDIT: I was already using DirectSound as output.. so the crash issue is still here
« Last Edit: 19 Nov '08 - 17:24 by Elrinth »

modrobert

« Reply #288 on: 20 Nov '08 - 05:55 »

so what you're saying is that if I change to DirectSound then sids won't crash xmplay any more?
because I've had random crashes with it... I'll give it a chance when I get home! thx!

EDIT: I was already using DirectSound as output.. so the crash issue is still here

Yes, works for me, haven't had a crash yet and been letting it run continiously with randomplay on HVSC #49 (36081 sid's in playlist). I'm using XMPlay 3.4.2.72 (stuff version), SID plugin rev.25c, and DirectSound output Plugin (revision 1).

XMPlay stuff version:
http://www.un4seen.com/stuff/xmplay.exe

EDIT:

Here are my associated settings from the xmplay.ini file:

Code: [Select]
[SID]
PathsHvscFolder=C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Music\hvsc
PathsDocsFolder=C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Music\hvsc\documents
EmuSidEnvironment=3
EmuSidModel=0
EmuSidClock=0
EmuOptimizeEnable=1
EmuSeekingEnable=1
FiltersSidFiltersEnable=0
FiltersExternalFilterEnable=1
FiltersExternalFilterPassband=0
OutputSampleRate=4
OutputChannels=1
SamplingOversampling=0
SamplingMethod=1
SamplingPassband=0
SamplingFilterScale=970
SonglenLoadDb=1
SonglenDefaultDuration=300
SonglenAddFadeOut=0
SonglenRepeatCount=1
SonglenRepeatTimeMin=20
SonglenRepeatTimeMax=60
SonglenRepeatOnlyLooped=1
MixerPanning=80
MixerSurroundEnable=1
MixerVoiceOneVolume=100
MixerVoiceTwoVolume=100
MixerVoiceThreeVolume=100
FadeInEnable=1
FadeOutEnable=1
FadeOutTime=300
FadeOutJingleTime=30
StilLoadDb=1
StilProcessOutsideHvsc=1
StilShowComposer=1
StilShowFile=1
StilShowSong=1
StilShowBugList=1
StilShowTop100=1
LoaderSkipJingles=1
LoaderJingleTime=10
LoaderFilterPeriod=0
LoaderPeriodMin=1995
LoaderPeriodMax=2006
MiscShowFingerprint=0
MiscShowAddresses=0
SonglenRepeatShortSongs=0

[DirectSound]
Software=0
NoEmulated=1

I hope it helps.
« Last Edit: 20 Nov '08 - 07:37 by modrobert »

saga

« Reply #289 on: 23 Nov '08 - 18:33 »
i got another random crash... tried to play C64Music\MUSICIANS\M\Mitch_and_Dane\Dane\Peek-a-Boo.sid from HVSC. the first time, XMplay crashed, the second time it worked.

Fraggie

« Reply #290 on: 23 Nov '08 - 20:07 »
I'll rewrite STIL and SLDB routines when I have some free time on my hands...

modrobert

« Reply #291 on: 24 Nov '08 - 15:04 »
It has been almost a week since I changed to the DirectSound output Plugin, still no xmplay crash (the pc runs 24/7), works great.

fanoush

« Reply #292 on: 5 Dec '08 - 07:36 »
Hi, I've come across interesting new technique of sampled sound in action.
see http://c64music.blogspot.com/2008/11/new-revolutionary-c64-music-routine.html or http://noname.c64.org/csdb/release/?id=72563

When playing that sid in rev25c I hear nothing. Would be nice to update reSID engine :-) From comments on page linked above "Sounds correct in vice 2.05 (sources from Sourceforge) setting reSID-fp and any alankila patch."

Sajadi

« Reply #293 on: 24 Dec '08 - 22:31 »
had the same problems with the plugin 25b - only a bit different...

i played a sid at anytime in the playlist, some more songs where played correctly and then xmplay closes itself at the end at some song later.. the song is not corrupt, seems that the old plug corrupts anything for upcoming tracks.

Does this happen also in the new 25c version or should i update to the new version? :)

Ugoff

« Reply #294 on: 6 Mar '09 - 05:01 »
I don't suppose you'd consider HardSID support for the next release, would you?

Fraggie

« Reply #295 on: 7 Mar '09 - 09:33 »
If I ever buy a HardSid device I will support it.

piovrauz

« Reply #296 on: 10 Mar '09 - 11:37 »
Now I don't know if it's a bug, but I'm listening (1 song looped in XMPlay) to "Randy - Progressiva" and some other sid from this author and can't get to have the correct songlenght. I have songlenght database setup, but at the end it always play a little bit of the start, then starts again... in sidplay2/w it loops correctly. Can someone help me here?

Fraggie

« Reply #297 on: 10 Mar '09 - 12:52 »
This is because SLDB information is inaccurate. One second granularity is really not enough...

As far as I remember sidplay2/w does not support SLDB and plays indefinitely, so the song loops by itself "naturally", while XMP-SID will restart the song when it reaches the presumed end point.
« Last Edit: 10 Mar '09 - 20:32 by Fraggie »

piovrauz

« Reply #298 on: 10 Mar '09 - 12:58 »
mmm, ok. but: how can I setup (if it's possible) the sid plugin to play the song like sidplay2/w (no SLDB, play one song forever)?

Jace

« Reply #299 on: 10 Mar '09 - 14:48 »
Options and Stuff -> Plugins -> Input -> SID, config. Go to 'Song lengths' and uncheck the first box. :)
(I believe this'd do it.)