Author Topic: XMPlay SID plugin  (Read 299841 times)

saga

Re: XMPlay SID plugin
« Reply #475 on: 22 Oct '12 - 11:51 »
The SID plugin is not hosted by un4seen. I don't think that the update check will work with plugins which Ian doesn't have control over.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #476 on: 22 Oct '12 - 13:48 »
The update notification system does actually cover some 3rd-party plugins too, including the SID plugin (and Sebastian/Fraggie's other plugins). The plugin author just needs to include version info in the plugin and then let me know when that changes :)

Fraggie

« Reply #477 on: 20 Nov '13 - 15:35 »
SID plugin has been updated to rev.31.

Changes:
 - updated libsidplayfp to v1.1.0
 - added music driver recognition via sidid
 - bug fixes (including the wds bug)

It appears that all compatibility issues reported here have been resolved with libsidplayfp update. Please test.

« Reply #478 on: 23 Nov '13 - 11:14 »
Could plugin also display message from MUS file?

« Reply #479 on: 29 Nov '13 - 21:32 »
Another problematic WDS:
\CGSC\Pinkfloid\Comfortably_Numb_A.wds

« Reply #480 on: 30 Nov '13 - 12:16 »
SIDId V1.09 detects player in
  \MUSICIANS\G\Glover\Worktunes\Test_Player_1.sid
as "Glover" but plugin doesn't.

Andreasvb

« Reply #481 on: 8 Dec '13 - 10:43 »
XMPlay freezes a short time when seeking, has done so the last few releases, rev.26 is working good.

saga

« Reply #482 on: 8 Dec '13 - 13:49 »
Unlike an MP3 file where you can just literally seek to a different file position, seeking in SID files is done by emulating the song playback as fast as possible without outputting any sound. This can not be prevented (except maybe by decoding every file as fast as possible in the background, which would create quite a high CPU load even when you don't intend to seek, so that's not a solution).

Andreasvb

« Reply #483 on: 8 Dec '13 - 16:41 »
Yes, I'm aware how it works, and it works fine in rev.26, so something happened after that.
It's very sad when the whole program freezes 1-3 seconds each time you want to seek.
Not sure if it's same for everyone or if it's something with my setup.

If someone got revisions after 26 I would be happy to try which ones that work and see when it stopped working.
Thanks.

My full specs:
Generated by Piriform Speccy v1.24.632
Operating System: Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center 64-bit
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.40GHz: 43 C
RAM: 16,0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 800MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G43 (MS-7758) (SOCKET 0): 28 C
Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 (ASUStek Computer Inc): 44 C
Storage: 119GB SAMSUNG SSD 830 Series (SSD): 27 C
Optical Drives: TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-222BB
Audio: USB Sound Blaster HD

saga

« Reply #484 on: 8 Dec '13 - 16:43 »
I'm pretty the switch to a more accurate SID library happened around rev.26, so if it was faster before that, it's probably because the old library was simply less accurate and did things in a different way.

Fraggie

« Reply #485 on: 27 Dec '13 - 17:19 »
XMP-SID plugin has been updated to rev.32.

Changes:
 * Upgraded to libsidplayfp v1.2.0
 * Added support for separating subsongs before playing
 * Made STIL tags complement PSID tags for title display
 * Added MUS comment display
 * Bugfixes
« Last Edit: 27 Dec '13 - 17:22 by Fraggie »

Andreasvb

« Reply #486 on: 27 Dec '13 - 17:37 »
Still takes seconds to seek and XMPlay freezes during that time, up to 10 seconds.
Tried with bare minimum: xmplay.exe and xmp-sid.dll, unchecked Disable seeking in SID Configuration.

Any info I could provide to help you locate the issue?

« Reply #487 on: 27 Dec '13 - 19:15 »
Still many drivers aren't detected, for example:

MoN/Bjerregaard
\MUSICIANS\B\Bjerregaard_Johannes\Balloon.sid

LordsOfSonics/MS (XTracker_V4.2x)
\MUSICIANS\S\Sonic\Castlevania_64_Mixes.sid

piovrauz

« Reply #488 on: 1 Jan '14 - 21:17 »
Not sure if it's a bug, but I stumbled on this one:

- If I set a song to play indefinitely (putting 0 on the default duration) it still reads from the SLDB and ignores it. If I check "force" the file won't play and XMPlay will just show zeroes (it's forcing zero lenght?) I tried this with /MUSICIANS/R/Randy/Illusion.sid. Is this expected?

Investigating, I noticed that that song at the end has some unwanted sound, so I set the time to 2:55 in the SLDB file (cut down the duration); seems fine now.
So I did obtain looping track as I wanted, but you may want to check it anyway. and thanks for the new release(s), I was like 3 versions behind! XD

piovrauz

« Reply #489 on: 2 Jan '14 - 13:15 »
Another one from me.
if I close XMPlay while a song is playing, then reopen XMPlay, it'll hang.
I think it's the song that starts to play, but for some reason fails.
If the song is stopped then XMPlay starts fine.

lukop

« Reply #490 on: 4 Jan '14 - 12:51 »
Hi all,
I have installed the new SID plugin rev.32 (by replacing the old xmp-sid.dll with the newest one in plugins directory of XMPlayer) and it dont work completely to me. I have tried all options of XMPlayer if some of them can not be the source of the problem, also cleared my playlist and tried to run the XMPlayer again without success. The plugin is not in the list of Input and archive plugins but while I put the rev.31 here back it is present and working normally.
Can there be some wrong setting of SID plugin in registry somewhere or anything else that causes the player can not run the plugin?
What I am doing wrong? How it is possible that other guys in here has not this issue like me?
Thanks
Lukas

lukop

« Reply #491 on: 4 Jan '14 - 13:23 »
Aha, I have got it!
It needs the newest XMPlay.
But rev.32 is very buggy and freezes a lot to me :( Sometimes while I press Stop I can not continue to play, it also happened that the player closed self while I pressed Stop button and also that while it was not possible to continue play after stop the player crashed while pressing the cross - quit button. It can also be because of the player upgrade (to latest version 3.8 from 3.6.x.x)
Lukas

WillGraham

« Reply #492 on: 4 Jan '14 - 22:05 »
I have to add my confirmation to those stating that the .3x releases seem very slow - with stuttering sound, sudden freezes, etc. The .26 still works as splendid as it always has.

This happens on two systems, and at least one is definitely powerful enough to handle very demanding applications, so I'm not sure if it's really an issue of resources.

piovrauz

« Reply #493 on: 4 Jan '14 - 22:15 »
I remember fraggie sayng he changed the lib or something like that, maybe the new one is more demanding?
I have no performance issues right now, last rev here so >.3x, but I do have that issue while starting XMPlay (resuming a .sid hangs XMPlay).
I hope it's not related to the subsong support.

saga

« Reply #494 on: 4 Jan '14 - 23:02 »
Yup, rev.27 switched to resid-fp, which requires a much beefier system than the older versions to play some sound... Disabling filters and other stuff should help a little bit with performance issues.

Andreasvb

« Reply #495 on: 4 Jan '14 - 23:04 »
More demanding, should work with Intel Core i5 3570K? :D

As I said, I would gladly help with any info I can provide that can help to pinpoint the issue.
I tried rev.27 and it got same problem, not as bad, just 2-3 seconds freeze. Doesn't matter what settings you use.

foobar2000 with foo_sid 1.31 based on residfp is faster and doesn't freeze, but the older is instant.
Hopefully it can be made faster.
« Last Edit: 4 Jan '14 - 23:28 by Andreasvb »

piovrauz

« Reply #496 on: 4 Jan '14 - 23:11 »
link the .sid that has issues, I'll see if it behaves different from what it should.
but be aware that when seeking, the plugin has to emulate the -HW- till the new point and all of that is cpu intensive.
ok, a i5 should cope, but still it's not like seeking in a .xm for example.
I think I was saying the same for the >.26 rev some time (years?) ago... XD

BTW: I think the plugin is single threaded, or at least it seems to go 100% only on one core here. If it's like that, it's single core performance... XD
« Last Edit: 4 Jan '14 - 23:15 by piovrauz »

Dhry

« Reply #497 on: 4 Jan '14 - 23:36 »
What saga said on Dec 8th is absolutely correct. The new sidplay library requires far more CPU to do seeking due to the more realistic filter distortion. Unless some sort of metadata could be generated for each track to facilitate faster seeking, you just can't get around it. Changing the sampling method to "normal quality" helps but there is still a delay when seeking. Pieknyman's plugin is definitely slower than Acid64/jSidDevice when it comes to seeking. Don't know why, maybe it's because Acid deactivates the filter, does the seek, then reactivates it before resuming play. (shrug)

In this post on 10th June 2011, I observed that the seeking is slow. http://www.un4seen.com/forum/?topic=3838.msg88139#msg88139
Edit: I just realised that in 2009 I actually ASKED for the new code to be incorporated! :-\ http://www.un4seen.com/forum/?topic=3838.msg71756#msg71756

I myself no longer use XMPlay for SIDs - kode54's SID plugin for foobar2000 is just as good sound-wise, although it lacks a few of the bells and whistles of the xmp version. Just as slow seeking, too.

Dhry
« Last Edit: 5 Jan '14 - 05:40 by Dhry »

piovrauz

« Reply #498 on: 5 Jan '14 - 09:08 »
Well, if I'm not mistaken, sids were not intended to be seek-able anyway, so being able to seek is already a plus.

saga

« Reply #499 on: 5 Jan '14 - 13:44 »
Well, SID files are basically program code, so naturally they are not "seekable" in the sense that you have random access to the song position. The only way to seek such files is to decode them as fast as possible.