Author Topic: XMPlay SID plugin  (Read 300447 times)

FIX94

Re: XMPlay SID plugin
« Reply #575 on: 26 Sep '16 - 19:00 »
Hi, I just wanted to say that for me for whatever reason rev 36 crashes pretty regular when switching between subsongs and sid files regardless of my current settings, this seems to only be a problem in rev 36 since all the older ones I tried work just fine which is pretty weird. I never quite knew if this was a bug with this plugin but it seems like only this plugin and only this revision crashes on switches, it happens with any output plugin I tested and with any samplerate as well so by now I think this has to be some problem with rev 36 specifically. I never found any pattern in it, the easiest way to reproduce this is to just get a bunch of sid files into a playlist and switch between songs and subsongs while playing back, it might be good for 10 switches or just crash on the first one directly. Thanks for any help on this.

raina

« Reply #576 on: 3 Nov '16 - 09:16 »
Locking an NTSC tune (e.g. Bruce_Lee.sid) to PAL makes XMPlay cut it short at the NTSC duration end point leaving loops and written waves incomplete. Should the reported song duration maybe change depending on the clock speed?

Fraggie

« Reply #577 on: 4 Nov '16 - 09:11 »
Locking an NTSC tune (e.g. Bruce_Lee.sid) to PAL makes XMPlay cut it short at the NTSC duration end point leaving loops and written waves incomplete. Should the reported song duration maybe change depending on the clock speed?
It should. Unfortunately SLDB only provides song lengths for the correct speed. Perhaps adding a fixed safety net would suffice?

raina

« Reply #578 on: 4 Nov '16 - 13:48 »
How naive would it be to assume that
50/60 * SLDB for PAL songs forced to NTSC and
60/50 * SLDB for NTSC songs forced to PAL
would work?

Fraggie

« Reply #579 on: 15 Nov '16 - 13:40 »
In theory that should work for PSID VBI songs. I'll look into that for the next revision.

Malade

« Reply #580 on: 26 Jan '17 - 02:44 »
it's an easy fix devide by time if its played ntsc and its a pal etc.

btw i have just downloaded drfiemost's latest trunk from sourceforge , compiled it and its starting to sound very close to a real c64 sid.( tested it on a few sid tunes and they sound identical but galway tunes dont sound the same yet )

great job drfiemost and great job fraggie.

that winamp plugin that that other lad posted sounds as good as this as well another great job.

all 3 of you keep up the good work.

edit just been tinkering with it and added a very nice stereo delay + surround effect

heres the code:

if (!ch && channels==2) // left channel
         {
            //delay left store
            delayLeft[delayLeftCount] = tmp;
            delayLeftCount++;

if (delayLeftCount >= delayLeftMax) delayLeftCount = 0;
            //delayleft end

// delay right mix

tmp += delayRight[delayRightRead];
            tmp -= delayLeft[delayLeftRead]*0.1;
            delayRightRead++;

if (delayRightRead >= delayRightMax) delayRightRead = 0;
            // delay right mix end

}

goes in mixer .cpp doMix()
« Last Edit: 26 Jan '17 - 03:01 by Malade »

Sajadi

« Reply #581 on: 1 Apr '17 - 20:14 »
Any update planned? :D

Dhry

« Reply #582 on: 28 Apr '17 - 19:40 »
Hi Fraggie. I notice that the libsidplayfp version in the most recent SID plugin is 1.8.1. They're up to 1.8.7 right now. Wondering if you have any plans to update the library and release a new build? I'm a big fan and use your plugin on an almost daily basis.

Edit: Library is now up to 2.0.0.

Cheers
DRS
« Last Edit: 9 Sep '17 - 21:33 by Dhry »

HavaR

« Reply #583 on: 15 Jun '17 - 11:41 »
Hi, I just wanted to say that for me for whatever reason rev 36 crashes pretty regular when switching between subsongs and sid files regardless of my current settings, this seems to only be a problem in rev 36 since all the older ones I tried work just fine which is pretty weird. I never quite knew if this was a bug with this plugin but it seems like only this plugin and only this revision crashes on switches, it happens with any output plugin I tested and with any samplerate as well so by now I think this has to be some problem with rev 36 specifically. I never found any pattern in it, the easiest way to reproduce this is to just get a bunch of sid files into a playlist and switch between songs and subsongs while playing back, it might be good for 10 switches or just crash on the first one directly. Thanks for any help on this.
I have this same problem, it crashes more often than not. It happens when starting a new subsong, or when finishing the last one. It can play through a number of subsongs before crashing, but it doesn't always happen. I haven't tried changing any settings to see if it helps though. I use XMPlay 3.8.2.3 on Windows 8.1

slumber

Where to get rev <36
« Reply #584 on: 27 Jan '18 - 12:10 »

Hi there,

as I can't find any earlier version of this plugin using google - is there a way to get an older
version, that doesn't crash?

FIX94

Re: Where to get rev <36
« Reply #585 on: 28 Jan '18 - 02:54 »
as I can't find any earlier version of this plugin using google - is there a way to get an older
version, that doesn't crash?
Here you go, this is the older r35 I am currently using:
https://mega.nz/#!h1QzRIpR!CvqzyPR3vkrueKDoe-7VkZrk_vDrTDQh3kGURWW8QnE

slumber

Re: Where to get rev <36
« Reply #586 on: 2 Feb '18 - 11:23 »
Here you go, this is the older r35 I am currently using:
https://mega.nz/#!h1QzRIpR!CvqzyPR3vkrueKDoe-7VkZrk_vDrTDQh3kGURWW8QnE
Yeah, you made my day :-)
Thank you very much.

Fraggie

« Reply #587 on: 9 Mar '18 - 20:35 »
The SID plugin has been updated to revision 37.

Changes:
  • fixed crashing on subsong change
  • updated sidid signatures
  • introduced song length adjustment based on PAL/NTSC settings
  • introduced Songlengths and STIL files loading from plugin's directory if HVSC folder is not specified

Dhry

« Reply #588 on: 9 Mar '18 - 20:41 »
The SID plugin has been updated to revision 37.

Thank you!

Unfortunately the new plugin version crashes on every single SID I try to play.

Faulting application name: xmplay.exe, version: 3.8.3.7, time stamp: 0x5a8dbcb7
Faulting module name: xmp-sid.dll, version: 0.0.37.0, time stamp: 0x5aa2e9e0
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0002a027
Faulting process id: 0x2618
Faulting application start time: 0x01d3b7e6abae6051
Faulting application path: J:\Utils\xmplay.exe
Faulting module path: J:\Utils\Plugins\xmp-sid.dll
Report Id: eeec003f-23d9-11e8-bef8-408d5cbfdd98

Regards
DRS

Fraggie

« Reply #589 on: 9 Mar '18 - 21:02 »
Right, for some mystery reason it crashes when the dll is UPX-ed. It's uncompressed now. Please retry.

Dhry

« Reply #590 on: 9 Mar '18 - 21:04 »
Aha, there we go. Works perfectly now. Thank you for the update!

DRS

« Reply #591 on: 10 Mar '18 - 09:03 »
Still crashes on Windows XP SP2.

deus-ex

« Reply #592 on: 10 Mar '18 - 10:54 »
v0.37 (uncompressed) works fine here, except for one RSID tune where it does not generate any audible output. The previous release v0.36 processes it fine, though.

The file in question: ftp://ftp.modland.com/pub/modules/RealSID/Heatbeat/one%20for%20reed.rsid

Dhry

« Reply #593 on: 11 Mar '18 - 17:42 »
v0.37 (uncompressed) works fine here, except for one RSID tune where it does not generate any audible output. The previous release v0.36 processes it fine, though.
The file in question: ftp://ftp.modland.com/pub/modules/RealSID/Heatbeat/one%20for%20reed.rsid

I too tried this rsid and can confirm it's a problem. However it DOES play sometimes, and other times it doesn't. I tried to start it about five times in v37 and it suddenly started playing. Then started it again and got silence. Tried to narrow down options which might be causing it but couldn't - tried with and without SID filters, changing power-on delay, sampling method. Listening to the track it sounds like it's been written with an extremely fast module speed, not sure whether this is feeding into the issue.

DRS

deus-ex

« Reply #594 on: 12 Mar '18 - 10:05 »
This appears to be a regression, the plugin had similar issues with this tune in the past which got fixed with the release of v.030.

I had downgraded to v0.36, but unfortunately I just noticed that this release is affected by the issue as well. Just like v0.37 it will play the tune sometimes, yet most of the attempts fail.

I verified this with a separate installation of XMPlay using an empty xmplay.ini and Xmp-SID being the only installed plugin. None of the plugin config options seem to help to improve the issue.

Fraggie

« Reply #595 on: 12 Mar '18 - 22:09 »
That Heatbeat's song should be sorted now.

Also the plugin has been rebuilt with an XP-compatible toolset. Does it help?

FIX94

« Reply #596 on: 12 Mar '18 - 23:02 »
r37.1 does not show up here in xmplay as it is right now, I noticed though the file was compressed with upx so I tried decompressing it and guess what, then it shows up again, seems like upx really dislikes the plugin at the moment for some reason.

deus-ex

« Reply #597 on: 12 Mar '18 - 23:09 »
Yes, "One for Reed" appears to be fixed now. I have witnessed no further issues during the tests. Thank you, Fraggie.

Btw, I uncompressed the plugin right away before first usage. I just rechecked the UPX-ed plugin and can confirm that it does not load. I think you should get rid of runtime compression altogether, it's a thing of the past now. I wished Ian would also stop compressing XMPlay and his plugins with his own compressor Petite for the same reason. It's just not reasonable anymore these days.
« Last Edit: 12 Mar '18 - 23:15 by deus-ex »

Fraggie

« Reply #598 on: 13 Mar '18 - 22:48 »
I cannot reproduce that problem, but since I don't have the time or desire to debug UPX, I've restored the original DLL.

« Reply #599 on: 13 Mar '18 - 23:10 »
XMPlay displays error window for each .sid on Windows XP SP2:
The "SID (rev. 37.1)" plugin crashed while attempting to open the following file: ...
The crash will now be passed on to Windows.
Code: [Select]
Exception Information
Code: 0xc0000005    Address: 0x0000000010023ffc