Author Topic: Voice Chat  (Read 4369 times)

asmsaifs

Voice Chat
« on: 24 Mar '05 - 16:28 »
I want to know if I can make voice chat software in vb using bass.dll

Dasmius

Re: Voice Chat
« Reply #1 on: 25 Mar '05 - 08:02 »
Yes, you can. I purchased a component for Delphi (I assume a similar one exists for VB) that interfaces to the Microsoft ACM (Audio Compression Manager). I recorded input from the mic, and then ran the input through the ACM to compress it to a GSM 6.1 wave sample (a codec all Windows PC's have already), and resulted in quite good audio quality at about 1.6kb/sec bandwidth requirement one-way. I send the audio in 1 second packets, and on the receiving end I buffer them myself in case their rate of arrival is not consistant. After a couple seconds of audio buffered I start playback through a user-created custom sample stream. BASS simply asks me through a callback function for more audio, I then feed it already uncompressed wave audio (again using the ACM to convert from GSM 6.1 > standard PCM wave) and it plays perfectly.

I wrote all of this in Delphi of course, but that exact same thing could be done in VB.

Wraith

« Reply #2 on: 25 Mar '05 - 09:43 »
DirectX9 SDK contains DirectPlayVoice component wich provides voice chat functionality. Architectures like peer-to-peer and client/server are supported, along with additional DirectSound functionality like 3D positioning. Everything's already done, there's no need to re-invent the wheel... unless you do so for learning purposes. :)

adam

« Reply #3 on: 25 Apr '05 - 14:00 »
How do you access the data buffer? in VB..I want to add live voice to my program also

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 25 Apr '05 - 16:07 »
What "data buffer" are you referring to? If you mean recorded data, your RECORDPROC callback function will receive that.

brown_eagle_fly

« Reply #5 on: 6 Apr '09 - 17:18 »
DirectX9 SDK contains DirectPlayVoice component wich provides voice chat functionality. Architectures like peer-to-peer and client/server are supported, along with additional DirectSound functionality like 3D positioning. Everything's already done, there's no need to re-invent the wheel... unless you do so for learning purposes. :)

Will it (DirectX9 SDK/DirectPlayVoice) run also on Windows Mobile 6/CE ?

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 7 Apr '09 - 15:52 »
Not that I can see. Here's a list of what's included in Windows Mobile 6:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb158483.aspx

nikos

« Reply #7 on: 4 Dec '18 - 10:54 »
there's no need to re-invent the wheel .........

well always need to re-invent the wheel for many reasons.
Otherwise we will keep talking with ICQ instead of skype and viber.

windows directx sdk doesnt support encrypting your buffer like bass can do easy and other components.