Author Topic: "ASIO"?  (Read 21112 times)

Dotpitch

Re: "ASIO"?
« Reply #25 on: 21 Apr '05 - 18:46 »
last time i checked the highest frequency i could hear was in our physics class. the teachers (both over 50 i guess) couldn't hear anything above 16,5 kHz, students all went up to 18,5~19kHz ;)

as Rah'Dick says, mp3 cuts out some frequencies; even on 320 kbit there's a lowpass filter active in lame (unless you disabled it...). if you can hear the psycho-acoustic model cut something out and you're annoyed by it, you shouldn't be using mp3 or ogg, but flac or ape. i doubt ASIO would be able to close the gap between lossy and lossless :P

[edit]
btw, Ian, what's that "BASSASIO beta"-thread doing on the BASS-board? ::) (looks like ASIO to me ;))
[/edit]
« Last Edit: 21 Apr '05 - 18:49 by Dotpitch »

Roj

« Reply #26 on: 21 Apr '05 - 19:13 »
last time i checked the highest frequency i could hear was in our physics class. the teachers (both over 50 i guess) couldn't hear anything above 16,5 kHz, students all went up to 18,5~19kHz ;)
Yup.  Up to 25 or so you can do those frequency ranges unless you're highly unusual or have an underlying medical condition (like diabetes).  As you get older, you definitely lose that capability.

as Rah'Dick says, mp3 cuts out some frequencies; even on 320 kbit there's a lowpass filter active in lame (unless you disabled it...). if you can hear the psycho-acoustic model cut something out and you're annoyed by it, you shouldn't be using mp3 or ogg, but flac or ape.

I can, on occasion it does and I again on occasion I do.  mp3s are used for my portable player, my car and background music in the house or while I'm on my machine.

i doubt ASIO would be able to close the gap between lossy and lossless :P

It most assuredly will not in and of itself.  From what I understand, it does help those unfortunate enough to own Creative Labs cards because it bypasses some of CL's poor resampling built into their drivers.  I can't verify this however because I do not and never will again own one of that vendor's cards.  :P

Rah'Dick

• XMPlay Support
« Reply #27 on: 22 Apr '05 - 06:32 »
I assume you've ABX'd it too ;). If that's true, you have some pair of golden ears, I'd say.
It was a song that had many short high-frequency clicks in it... After encoding, those sounded more like "flick" than "click".  :-\
Anyway, I'm actually pretty happy with MP3 or OGG at the moment because I don't have infinite HDD space to waste and because both my car stereo and discman can play MP3 CDs. I'm still waiting for an [affordable] hardware OGG player, tho.

To come back to ASIO: I use ASIO with Orion Platinum when mixing my songs but I haven't heard any differences yet between Orions ASIO output and the rendered WAV file... (and yes, I do own one of the aforementioned headphones with max. 30 kHz range.)