Author Topic: "Now Playing" signature thing...  (Read 8220 times)

Zarggg

"Now Playing" signature thing...
« on: 18 Jun '05 - 18:40 »
Does anyone here know of some kind of daemon-type program I could download that would allow me to put what I currently have playing in XMPlay on a forum signature, or something along those lines?

Sebastian_Mares

Re: "Now Playing" signature thing...
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jun '05 - 21:52 »
The only thing you need is a plugin which either writes to a text file or feeds a database with information about the currently played song. Then you have to write something in PHP or ASP (not sure if it works with the later) which fetches the data and generates an image using GD, IM or another extension.

So, you need three things: a plugin which exports data from XMPlay, a PHP script which generates an image based on the exported data and a server which is able to run PHP+GD/IM (and eventually *SQL if your plugin updates an SQL table rather than writing to a text file). The server should also be configurable to handle "playing.png" for example as PHP script rather than serving it as raw image (since the file contains the PHP code for outputting the image).

I had a signature like what you are looking for which worked with foobar2000 and foo_text, but the text writer plugin is no longer compatible to foobar2000 0.9.

Torkell

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jun '05 - 10:44 »
Well, to get the currently playing track from XMPlay you can either get the current window title of XMPlay (which will give you the window title with whatever formatting you have), or you can pull all the data through DDE. In theory you could do this all in the ASP/PHP script (npot sure how you'd do it with PHP, but with ASP the easiest solution would be to make it call a COM component to read the info).

As far as getting the browser to display an image and not think it's an html page, all you need to do is set the Content-Type header from within your script (easy in ASP, probably easy in PHP) to "image/png" or whatever the mime type for your image is. So the signature url would be something like my.server.com/xmplaysig.asp but the header would be set by the script to tell the browser "actually, I'm a image" (good browsers don't use the extension for working out file types, they use the headers sent in the http response).

Zarggg

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jun '05 - 21:30 »
Well, blah. I'm no good at that kind of scripting. Thanks anyway. :)

CappY

« Reply #4 on: 6 Mar '11 - 11:33 »
You can try my project : http://npsig.sok4e.eu - you can use it with winamp and amarok so far.

CappY

« Reply #5 on: 6 Mar '11 - 14:26 »
If somebody could write plugin for XMPlay to retrieve information about current song and send it to me, I will make it work with project.

saga

« Reply #6 on: 6 Mar '11 - 16:23 »
The "MSN Now Playing" plugin source code is shipped with the plugin, so you can use that as a base for your project.

Chinese Sausage

« Reply #7 on: 9 Mar '11 - 00:02 »
I would like "Now Playing" support for ARES P2P and cbot Ares Chat Client.