Author Topic: [Request/Suggestion] About listening inet radio stream and saving to disc  (Read 8189 times)

piovrauz

About write to disk option: when listening to a stream, you can save it to disk, but there are issues about separating tracks. So I tought of a nice improvement (well, I think it'll be), to add as an option ;).
Here it is: when writing a radio stream to disk, write a single file without splitting, and -write a cuesheet like "index" file with the info provided in the stream if any-, better in .cue format already.
That way you can split it after ripping/listening, and the difference between trackchange points can be fixed editing the .cue easily. You can even keep it like a big "That-Day-mix" thingy.
What do you think? Is it feasible?

Zarggg

If you're talking about having XMPlay do this automatically, that would only work if the stream itself has some kind of indication of "track borders" that XMPlay would be able to interpret (the existence of the former in no way implies the latter).

However, you can always manually create a CUE yourself. It's just a simple text file.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
If I'm reading it right, the requested option is already there... see "Write CUE sheet" in the bottom-right of the output file selector :)

piovrauz

oh. I must get a new brain... well, thanks anyway. I totally missed it.

Zarggg

see "Write CUE sheet" in the bottom-right of the output file selector :)

Wow, shows how much I use that feature... I didn't even know it existed! ::)

winner

see "Write CUE sheet" in the bottom-right of the output file selector :)

Wow, shows how much I use that feature... I didn't even know it existed! ::)
I'm using XMPlay version 3.4.2.127 and I can't find the "Write CUE sheet" option! I'm looking at Options and Stuff>File writing section, but this doesn't seem to be the correct place. Please help, someone!

raina

I'm looking at Options and Stuff>File writing section, but this doesn't seem to be the correct place. Please help, someone!

The output file selector Ian is talking about pops up when you right click a stream and select Write to disk.

winner

I'm looking at Options and Stuff>File writing section, but this doesn't seem to be the correct place. Please help, someone!

The output file selector Ian is talking about pops up when you right click a stream and select Write to disk.
OK, great! So to go about what thread starter Piovrauz suggested, is there an automated way to take the large written file on disk and separate into individual files per the cue sheet? Or would one have to use a wav/mp3 editor and do this manually?

raina

I don't know if that's possible as Write to disk isn't available for local files.

Dotpitch

OK, great! So to go about what thread starter Piovrauz suggested, is there an automated way to take the large written file on disk and separate into individual files per the cue sheet? Or would one have to use a wav/mp3 editor and do this manually?
You want to split a large file into smaller tracks using the cue sheet? Google for CUE splitter. You can't expect XMPlay to both mow your lawn and split your files ;).

Jimmy Neutron

Get mp3DirectCut.

You take the large mp3 file, lay the cue sheet over it, manually move the split points for finer control, and then press Ctrl-T to writes out all of the individual files with correct filenames (artist - track).  Freeware.

http://www.mpesch3.de

winner

Get mp3DirectCut.

You take the large mp3 file, lay the cue sheet over it, manually move the split points for finer control, and then press Ctrl-T to writes out all of the individual files with correct filenames (artist - track).  Freeware.

http://www.mpesch3.de
Thanks Jimmy! I had used mp3DirectCut on my previous OS, but hadn't installed it yet on Vista.

@Anyone: Will the cue points sometimes be off mark, or from a cue sheet are they reliably accurate?
@Dotpitch: Yep, I didn't expect that XMPlay would split files, just looking for another automated way. My grass looks greener after listening to XMPlay though!

« Last Edit: 29 Sep '09 - 16:49 by winner »

Jimmy Neutron

Thanks Jimmy! I had used mp3DirectCut on my previous OS, but hadn't installed it yet on Vista.

@Anyone: Will the cue points sometimes be off mark, or from a cue sheet are they reliably accurate?
@Dotpitch: Yep, I didn't expect that XMPlay would split files, just looking for another automated way. My grass looks greener after listening to XMPlay though!

Glad to hear about your grass.  The cue sheet marks are close, but often can use some manual tweaking.  All you have to do (with current versions of mp3DirectCut) is to grab the mark with your mouse and drag it to where you want it.  Not too hard.  Oh... use Ctrl-RightArrow to skip to the next cut mark to listen...

winner

Glad to hear about your grass.  The cue sheet marks are close, but often can use some manual tweaking.  All you have to do (with current versions of mp3DirectCut) is to grab the mark with your mouse and drag it to where you want it.  Not too hard.  Oh... use Ctrl-RightArrow to skip to the next cut mark to listen...
OK Jimmy, thanks again for your response!

winner

Drat. The streaming station I recorded uses fading between songs, so it's impossible to get clean cuts between songs using mp3DirectCut.

Jimmy Neutron

Hi-Definition FM Radio
320 - sometimes crossfades for days at a time, sometimes not for days at a time - haven't figured out the pattern, so I check it and then start recording if OK
http://65.60.11.2:8044

blodline
just found it
hiband, source seems to be 128 up to VBR - no crossfades yet, but very short silences, currently seems to repeat at 3hour cycles
http://72.20.52.91:8014

appreciate hearing about any others people find.