Author Topic: MO3 Error  (Read 11342 times)

Beans-v6

MO3 Error
« on: 25 Sep '05 - 21:47 »
Not sure what is causing this, but it has happened to me quite a few times now.  Actually, since the second time it happened, I haven't been able to use MO3ENC any at all.

I'm making a program that will take a list of files and run MO3ENC with some specified options on all of them, using LAME.  Now of course, the end user may not have LAME calibrated for MO3ENC, so I told my program to calibrate it on startup.  Well, that seemed to work okay the first couple times, and I'm not sure what caused everything to stop working (that might not even be relevant), but eventually when I would run MO3ENC.EXE, instead of printing out the module information and encoding it, it would just print out the top two copyright notice lines.  It wouldn't even tell me the song name and stuff, as if it couldn't find the file.  But I'm sure it would have an error message if it couldn't find the file.  My command line and the output is as follows:

Code: [Select]
C:\Downloads\MuSiC\ModArchive>C:\Downloads\MuSiC\ModArchive\mo3enc.exe -e2 -m7 "
C:\Downloads\MuSiC\ModArchive\A/a-imag.it" "C:\Downloads\MuSiC\ModArchive\A/a-im
ag.it.mo3"
MO3 Encoder 2.1 - IT/XM/S3M/MOD/MTM/UMX to MO3
===== (c) 2002-2005 Ian Luck =========================== www.un4seen.com =====

It has been running for 48 minutes now, and the file is only one meg.  So it isn't that the file is too large, or that I'm not giving it enough time either.  Also, it constantly uses around 87-99% processor power and I can't figure out what it is doing.  I was hoping I could find the source code to the encoder somewhere so that I could figure out what it was doing then, but no such luck.

The very first time this happened, I deleted the registry keys associated with MO3, and that fixed it.  Now, though, that isn't helping.  I don't know exactly what the problem is, but I'm hoping this is something wrong that I'm doing on my part.

BTW...if anyone is wondering, yes, I have the entire ModArchive and I am trying to compress it using MO3 to allow it to be BitTorrent-ed in a reasonable timeframe.

It is also worth mentioning that my program, after clearing the registry, re-calibrates about 2.5 seconds afterward.  Should I be waiting longer, perhaps?  I can see Windows having some potential issues with things like that, using cache or something....  Also, dunno if this matters at all, but I am taking "a-imag.it" and saving it as "a-imag.it.mo3".  Perhaps MO3ENC sees this as the same thing or something?

EDIT:  I think I should mention that it does this on any file, not just the one mentioned above.

Beans-v6
« Last Edit: 25 Sep '05 - 21:51 by Beans-v6 »

Dotpitch

Re: MO3 Error
« Reply #1 on: 26 Sep '05 - 08:42 »
mo3enc hardly ever needs more than a minute to compress a mod, so it looks like it hangs. recalibrating every time is useless, unless you're not sure you still have the same lame :P the code you posted isn't really nice... you can just use "mo3enc -e2 -m7 a-imag.it" to have it work (if the mod is in the same folder as mo3enc, otherwise you can put the path in).
does the mo3 gui still work? it looks like mo3enc misses some files but forgets to report it, or maybe it's corrupted.

btw, BoggyB mentioned something that might be useful to you:
http://www.un4seen.com/forum/?topic=4363.msg29451#msg29451

Beans-v6

« Reply #2 on: 26 Sep '05 - 21:28 »
I only recalibrate every time because I am planning on sending this to some of my friends that have large numbers of MODs.  They want to be able to compress them all at once as well.  But I don't want them to have to calibrate manually, either.  Some of them are...well, you might say, inexperienced with computers?

Anyway, the MO3 GUI works fine until I try to compress a file.  Then, it does the same thing as the MO3ENC...except I can't see the output.  It just uses 87-99% processing power and does nothing.

BoggyB's solution would seem to be good, however this problem also occurs when I manually run the program so at the moment it would not help anyway.  But it is something to look in to.

Thanks.

Torkell

« Reply #3 on: 27 Sep '05 - 11:01 »
Does this only happen with the LAME codec, or does using any codec cause this?

Beans-v6

« Reply #4 on: 27 Sep '05 - 21:35 »
If I remember correctly it happens on LAME and OGGENC, at least.  I'm not sure about others, but definitely those two.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 28 Sep '05 - 13:52 »
Not sure what is causing this, but it has happened to me quite a few times now.  Actually, since the second time it happened, I haven't been able to use MO3ENC any at all.

I'm making a program that will take a list of files and run MO3ENC with some specified options on all of them, using LAME.  Now of course, the end user may not have LAME calibrated for MO3ENC, so I told my program to calibrate it on startup.  Well, that seemed to work okay the first couple times, and I'm not sure what caused everything to stop working (that might not even be relevant), but eventually when I would run MO3ENC.EXE, instead of printing out the module information and encoding it, it would just print out the top two copyright notice lines.  It wouldn't even tell me the song name and stuff, as if it couldn't find the file.  But I'm sure it would have an error message if it couldn't find the file.  My command line and the output is as follows:

C:\Downloads\MuSiC\ModArchive>C:\Downloads\MuSiC\ModArchive\mo3enc.exe -e2 -m7 "
C:\Downloads\MuSiC\ModArchive\A/a-imag.it" "C:\Downloads\MuSiC\ModArchive\A/a-im
ag.it.mo3"

If that's all the output, it looks like it's stuck loading the file for some reason. You say it happens with every file? If you've not already done so, you could try changing the rogue '/' to '\'.

Beans-v6

« Reply #6 on: 3 Oct '05 - 02:51 »
I tried that, and it still didn't work.  But the GUI version seems to work now..so now it is just MO3ENC.  I don't know what the differences are, but... that should make it easier to pinpoint.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 3 Oct '05 - 16:51 »
Strange. The file loading is identical in both versions, so I'm puzzled. I'll have to send you a debug version to find out where/why it's getting stuck there.

Beans-v6

« Reply #8 on: 3 Oct '05 - 21:50 »
Hmmm, well I'm testing it as I'm writing so I might contradict myself later, but as of now the debug version you sent me seems to be working fine when called from my program.  However, the normal version still hangs...let me see if I can manually run the debug version and find something out.

Alright, running it from the command line returns nothing.  It exits instantly.  I don't know why...

I tried running the other version from command line and it got stuck as usual...but now neither version is working.  The debug version still exits instantly.  The GUI version works, though.

Debug version output:
C:\Downloads\MuSiC\ModArchive>mo3enc -e2 -m7 a0d_agep.xm a0d_agep.xm.mo3

C:\Downloads\MuSiC\ModArchive>mo3enc -e2 -m7 .\a0d_agep.xm .\a0d_agep.xm.mo3

C:\Downloads\MuSiC\ModArchive>mo3enc -e2 -m7 ..\a0d_agep.xm .\a0d_agep.xm.mo3

C:\Downloads\MuSiC\ModArchive>mo3enc -e2 -m7 .\a0d_agep.xm .\a0d_agep.xm.mo3

C:\Downloads\MuSiC\ModArchive>mo3enc -e2 -m7 .\yeahright.blah .\ASDF.3hr98

C:\Downloads\MuSiC\ModArchive>mo3enc asdklfj;asldk

C:\Downloads\MuSiC\ModArchive>mo3enc YO!!!?

Normal version output is same as usual...just the top two copyright lines.  GUI works fine.

I think it has something to do with calibrating it...?  Maybe calibrating twice without clearing the registry causes issues.  But why would the debug version return instantly?

And it worked fine a couple times when I restarted my computer.  Maybe Windows caches the registry, so calibrating twice gets some old data in memory?

Is there something I'm missing?

E.D.I.T.: !
    The debug version is working again when called from my program.  I still can't get it to work through the command console...

Edit the Edit:
    The debug version is working, but it is quite strange.  It was running in the background doing the 99% processor usage thing, but in a command window I typed "mo3enc.exe -e2 -c" and now it seems to be working... I don't know what is going on, but I think it may have flushed the Windows registry cache or something...
« Last Edit: 3 Oct '05 - 21:55 by Beans-v6 »

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 4 Oct '05 - 11:29 »
Guess I should've tried it myself before sending it ;D

I'll send another one.

Beans-v6

« Reply #10 on: 4 Oct '05 - 22:57 »
Thanks.  I sent you the output, Ian, but in case anyone else wants to see it, I'll post it here.

open(a0d_agep.xm)
opened
loaded
init 0
init 1
init 2