Author Topic: "Send to" function?  (Read 5291 times)

Rich Nagel

"Send to" function?
« on: 26 Sep '05 - 05:23 »
I was attempting to add XMPlay to my Windows 98 "SendTo" directory, but can't seem to get it to function properly.

There are several media types that are associated with other players currently installed on my PC (such as MP3s), and occasionally I'd like to be able to temporarily open them using XMPlay via right-clicking on the file within Windows Explorer (or in my case, Total Commander), and then clicking on "Send to" in the popup menu.

I created a shortcut for XMPlay in my "Windows\SendTo" directory, but when right-clicking on a file and then left-clicking on "Send to", XMPlay starts up but does not load in the file.

Am I missing something here, maybe an additional command line parameter that needs to be added to the SendTo shortcut?

Thanks in advance for any help -:)

Jace

Re: "Send to" function?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Sep '05 - 05:46 »
Made me curious.. Why not just use the Context menu option 'Add to XMPlay-list (to add it into any xmplay-able file's right-click menu)?

Rich Nagel

« Reply #2 on: 26 Sep '05 - 05:59 »
Made me curious.. Why not just use the Context menu option 'Add to XMPlay-list (to add it into any xmplay-able file's right-click menu)?

If I'm not mistaken, that would simply add the file to XMplay's current playlist (along with any other media files that are already listed in it). What I was hoping to do was to simply "Send to" XMPlay, and have XMPlay immediately open and play a specific file.

Strange thing, as SendTo support is pretty common with a lot of programs. You can create shortcuts in your "Windows\SendTo" directory for almost anything... Notepad, Wordpad, MSIE, Netscape, Media Player, etc... and when right-clicking on a file within Windows Explorer (or what I like to use Windows/Total Commander), you can "Send to" any supported file to the various specific viewer/utility/player/browser etc...

Jace

« Reply #3 on: 26 Sep '05 - 06:13 »
That is when you check the box '...and play' too ;D

Dotpitch

« Reply #4 on: 26 Sep '05 - 06:58 »
i think the reason it doesn't work with the shortcut is that xmplay prefers DDE ;). if you use Add to XMPlay-list, you can select what xmplay should do, play it directly or not directly, somewhere in options'n'stuff. you can also use Open with XMPlay, but that would clear your whole current playlist :P

Rich Nagel

« Reply #5 on: 26 Sep '05 - 09:27 »
Thanks for the info folks, but I think that I figured out the problem.

What was confusing, is that the "Send to" functions of Windows simply adds a file (as well as complete path) as a command line parameter to any specific program. I knew that XMPlay supported playing a file via command line (i.e. "XMPlay C:\Music\Song.xm"), and even tried that as an experiment. The first tries, it didn't work... XMPlay started with nothing loaded in.

After some twiddling around, I realized that XMPlay seems to have problems (possible bug report?) with strange characters contained within an directory name.

The following works fine:

C:\Weeds Downloads\Song.xm

but this does *not* work:

C:\¥Weeds Downloads¥\Song.xm

(hehe, long story about the "¥" <G>, but I have quite a few files and directories that I use that within the name).

Anyhow, that was the problem, the "Send to" works fine, except for the directories that have that (or possible other screwball) characters in it.