Author Topic: Wishlist for XMPlay 3.3  (Read 145658 times)

Svante

Wishlist for XMPlay 3.3
« on: 13 Feb '05 - 19:56 »
I was first this time :P

I know it would be hard to implement but if XMPlay ever get video support there is no need for another media player ;)

Also I think hardware accelerated DirectSound output would be great for my SB Audigy 2 :D
« Last Edit: 13 Feb '05 - 20:17 by Svante »

Knurek

Re: Wishlist for XMPlay 3.3
« Reply #1 on: 13 Feb '05 - 20:12 »
Identyfing Library entries by hash+filesize and Crossfaded/Definable gap/Gapless output selector.

And some other small ones, but those two above are the most urgent. :)

Roj

« Reply #2 on: 13 Feb '05 - 20:19 »
Crossfaded/Definable gap/Gapless output selector.

That gets my vote too.

Brian

« Reply #3 on: 13 Feb '05 - 21:04 »
You might have given the guy a few days' breather before starting this thread...

Torkell

« Reply #4 on: 13 Feb '05 - 21:12 »
You might have given the guy a few days' breather before starting this thread...
It's become an un4seen tradition to post the request list for the next version as soon as a new one appears.

Anyway, where was I... oh yes...

Give us MIDI support! *waves pitchfork

Edit 1: And on a less fanatical note, how about adding an option to display the samples, instruments and order numbers in hex? Considering that they're currently in decimanl in the sample list, and hex in the pattern display...

Edit 2: Technical question: does the maximum text width (misc tab in settings box) affect DDE queries for the message tab in the playlist?

Edit 3: The readme could do with a bit of clarification - in this bit
Saved settings
--------------
Note the new system is not compatible with the old saved settings system. There is also no specific "default" setting any more - a "" path setting can be used instead, as that will match all files.
I'd suggest changing it to refer to the "pre-3.1" system or whenever it was changed.

Edit 4: BUG The title format string isn't saved when you exit XMPlay. Actually, registry updates are generally screwed. XMPlay is creating keys by mistake for string values at least. Ian?
« Last Edit: 13 Feb '05 - 21:42 by BoggyB »

merlus

« Reply #5 on: 13 Feb '05 - 21:36 »
Hey, where did the 'recent' option go to?
That one is on my wishlist for sure (or is it still there somewhere hidden?  ??? )

Torkell

« Reply #6 on: 13 Feb '05 - 21:43 »
Hey, where did the 'recent' option go to?
That one is on my wishlist for sure (or is it still there somewhere hidden?  ??? )
Right-click on the playlist toggle (in the expanded list window) to get at the library.

Keltic Danor

• XMPlay Support
« Reply #7 on: 13 Feb '05 - 21:52 »
It's become an un4seen tradition to post the request list for the next version as soon as a new one appears.
If not sooner. ;D

merlus

« Reply #8 on: 13 Feb '05 - 21:59 »
AAaahhh! got it  ::)

Vesh

« Reply #9 on: 13 Feb '05 - 22:06 »
I'd like a wavetracing engine so that we can all hear our music in realistic environments such as:

Room of Foam
Solid Concrete Slab
Milk
Room Full of Applicable Craft Moving Eyes

Torkell

« Reply #10 on: 13 Feb '05 - 22:15 »
BTW, I've finally decided to update XMPlaySecret (should have done it ages ago, but you know how it is when there's this one annoying bit of code that won't behave). I should have the package built and uploaded soon, and I'll let you know when that happens.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: 13 Feb '05 - 22:23 »
Edit 2: Technical question: does the maximum text width (misc tab in settings box) affect DDE queries for the message tab in the playlist?

Yep, it does.

Edit 3: The readme could do with a bit of clarification - in this bit...

Oops. I've removed that old stuff now.

Edit 4: BUG The title format string isn't saved when you exit XMPlay. Actually, registry updates are generally screwed. XMPlay is creating keys by mistake for string values at least.

Oops with knobs on! A corrected EXE is in the ZIP now. You may want to use the "Clean reg" option for a fresh start.

Torkell

« Reply #12 on: 13 Feb '05 - 23:01 »

Yep, it does.
That might break stuff which relies on line breaks for parsing it...

Oh, and XMPlaySecret 2.0 is now available! Link will be posted shortly (as soon as i dig the old topic out).

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: 13 Feb '05 - 23:16 »

Yep, it does.
That might break stuff which relies on line breaks for parsing it...

True... so I've changed that now :)

J44xm

« Reply #14 on: 14 Feb '05 - 03:01 »
I know it would be hard to implement but if XMPlay ever get video support there is no need for another media player ;)

Merciful heavens, if this program ever tries to be a video player, I'll be so disappointed.

Roj

« Reply #15 on: 14 Feb '05 - 03:53 »

Merciful heavens, if this program ever tries to be a video player, I'll be so disappointed.

Heaven ain't got SQUAT to do with it.  The last thing we need is another player going down the road to I'm-gonna-be-a-cutesy-swiss-army-knife-of-all-players-omigod-yes-I-am bloated banality.

And that's being polite.
« Last Edit: 14 Feb '05 - 10:38 by Roj »

Zarggg

« Reply #16 on: 14 Feb '05 - 05:12 »
You know... all I can say right now is thank God we're on Ian's side. :p

Tsorovan

« Reply #17 on: 14 Feb '05 - 06:04 »
I'll wait with my suggestions. It'll actually contain pretty much 100% of all my suggestions for v3.1 (and future versions), I think hehe.

Svante

« Reply #18 on: 14 Feb '05 - 20:20 »

Heaven ain't got SQUAT to do with it.  The last thing we need is another player going down the road to I'm-gonna-be-a-cutesy-swiss-army-knife-of-all-players-omigod-yes-I-am bloated banality.

And that's being polite.

I don't really think that would bloat the application, I've just made a Directshow video player (supporting DivX with codecs etc.), size: 8 kb ;)

Edit: After some optimazion, 7.5 kb
« Last Edit: 14 Feb '05 - 20:46 by Svante »

Roj

« Reply #19 on: 14 Feb '05 - 22:23 »
I don't really think that would bloat the application, I've just made a Directshow video player (supporting DivX with codecs etc.), size: 8 kb ;)

Edit: After some optimazion, 7.5 kb

Yeah, but this is a MUSIC player, not a MEDIA player.

I would be VERY concerned if it went that route.  I've had it with all the Media Player wannabes.  To those people who want a player that does absolutely everything and tucks them in bed besides, I have only one thing to say:

Do Windows Media Player - Any Version.

You Deserve It.
« Last Edit: 14 Feb '05 - 22:45 by Roj »

J44xm

« Reply #20 on: 14 Feb '05 - 22:34 »
I don't really think that would bloat the application, I've just made a Directshow video player (supporting DivX with codecs etc.), size: [7.5] kb ;)

Admittedly, that's pretty damn cool. But I do share Roj's concerns.

Kmuland

« Reply #21 on: 14 Feb '05 - 22:35 »
Would be cool editing modules into the pattern view window :)

Keltic Danor

• XMPlay Support
« Reply #22 on: 14 Feb '05 - 23:54 »
Would be cool editing modules into the pattern view window :)
It's not XMTracker. :P

Zarggg

« Reply #23 on: 15 Feb '05 - 17:32 »
Quote from: Roj"
Do Windows Media Player - Any Version.

Media Player Classic. It works better, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: 16 Feb '05 - 19:06 by Zarggg »

Roj

« Reply #24 on: 15 Feb '05 - 17:54 »
Quote from: RojDo Windows Media Player - Any Version.[quote

Media Player Classic. It works better, in my opinion.

Mine too. :)

I mentioned Windows Media Player because it's the biggest example of do-everything bloat I could think of other than Real Player filth.  The latter I wouldn't wish on anyone.