Author Topic: Wishlist for XMPlay 3.3  (Read 145644 times)

Jace

Re: Wishlist for XMPlay 3.3
« Reply #50 on: 18 Feb '05 - 18:36 »
Yeah, but one thing's been puzzling me.. How do you right-click close when XMP is minimised? Is it possible to make the menu entry right-clickable?

uRRada

« Reply #51 on: 19 Feb '05 - 12:40 »
F8!
Should show list of tracks that selected green when "search" is active.

Good luck

Alexsource

« Reply #52 on: 19 Feb '05 - 16:20 »
Yeah, but one thing's been puzzling me.. How do you right-click close when XMP is minimised? Is it possible to make the menu entry right-clickable?
actually, you can right click it already and it will close (either in task bar or tray), but it won't continue where it left off.... I think it shold be added, somehow....

Timwi

« Reply #53 on: 20 Feb '05 - 00:23 »
Has anyone requested Unicode support yet? Is this in the works yet? I would have thought it's quite important for a media player. This would also be a significant plus compared to Winamp! ;-)

Torkell

« Reply #54 on: 20 Feb '05 - 01:19 »
Has anyone requested Unicode support yet? Is this in the works yet? I would have thought it's quite important for a media player. This would also be a significant plus compared to Winamp! ;-)
Been there since 3.1. Not always working, but that's mostly the fault of Win98 and plugins from what I've gathered.

m5m5

« Reply #55 on: 20 Feb '05 - 13:03 »
Ok, here's some requests (mostly rehashes from earlier request from people in the forum now or earlier). All of them are related to the skinning issues, user interface etc. I'm very satisfied with sound quality, compatibility and such things. Oh, and I get nausea just by thinking about turning xmplay into a monstrous video player, so please don't do it. :)

1. add option to NOT blink (i) play button and (ii) current time when in pause mode.

2. As requested above, I'd also like snapping of main and playlist window.

3. As requested above, I'd also like to be able to set start position of skins individually (the options could be (i) a fixed XYposition and (ii) last close position). I'd also like the ability to set mini/normal mode of skin individually (with the same options).

4. Option to show track time without fractions of seconds

5. Ability to have separate skin fields for filename (WITHOUT path), title, artist, tracknumber, type, kbps and other values as separate skin objects (with different color, font, size etc)

5b. Ability to stretch the above fields (at least the title and filename ones) over several rows (with some neat auto line break feature).

6. If not 5, then at least the ability to individualize title format settings for each skin.

7. Option to remove the file type column in playlist view (I only use xmplay for mp3-files so that column is entirely redundant for me)

8. More shading options (like change to different color) for on mouse over and pressing of control buttons (play, stop etc)

To exemplify the use (for me) of implementing the above requests, I could mention a skin I hastily put together yesterday. I wanted to be able to see song title etc and change track via wireless mouse five to ten meters away from the computer screen. So the skin is in only two colors, have large lettering and is (almost) fullscreen.
http://img217.exs.cx/img217/2091/screen0020wo.png
http://img217.exs.cx/img217/6389/screen0018kx.png

Normally, I use minimal skin (a mod of xp silver) placed in the lower right corner and in minimode.
http://img217.exs.cx/img217/1581/screen0033pj.png

When switching from the minimal skin, the larger skins top appears at the lower right corner so I have to drag and drop it in place. The same for fitting the minimal skin back after fullscreen skin usage. I also have to switch between mini and normal skin mode. (Oh, I know I might seem, well, plain lazy here, but the player is already so good that mosts requests for improvement will have to be minor things like this)

Also, in the minimal skin, I set title format to track title only. In fullscreen I'd like to see artist, track number, title etc. but it's to much of a hassle to change this back and forth via "options and stuff" each time.

Cheers

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: 20 Feb '05 - 14:45 »

XMPlay does already support Unicode. I'm not aware of any problems with it, so if you've found some, please upload the file(s) to have a look at...

ftp.un4seen.com/incoming/

Note that support for Unicode command-lines has been added for the next update, in case that's what you're complaining about ;)

HyperDrive

« Reply #57 on: 20 Feb '05 - 18:33 »
I'll be repeating myself, but since my request for 3.2 was too late... ;)
I only wish for a tunable FIR interpolator (similar to the Winamp module plug-in) and 88200 Hz sampling rate (or higher, as long as it's a multiple of 44100 :)).

Also, IIRC, the sinc interpolator is only SSE2 optimized. Is there any reason not to optimize for MMX/SSE? ???

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: 20 Feb '05 - 21:13 »
I'm not sure what you mean by "tunable" (I just see a "FIR" switch in Winamp), but sinc interpolation is a FIR filter. As well as SSE2, it's also optimized for 3DNow. I didn't bother with optimizations for older technology, as I figured those CPUs wouldn't be fast enough anyway, but included the vanilla FPU version so that it could at least still be used when writing to disk on those CPUs.

Regarding the sample rate options... it'll be in the next update :)

Torkell

« Reply #59 on: 20 Feb '05 - 21:35 »
Oh I dunno... it seemed fast enough for a P266-based laptop playing one of Warder's evil modules... though it was killing virtual channels left-right-center and redlining the CPU...

HyperDrive

« Reply #60 on: 21 Feb '05 - 00:42 »
I'm not sure what you mean by "tunable" (I just see a "FIR" switch in Winamp), but sinc interpolation is a FIR filter.

Yes, I'm aware of that. Maybe it was an older version (I stopped using Winamp quite a while ago). I remember it had an advanced configuration dialog for the filter, with a combo-box (where you could select the windowing function, IIRC) and two number input boxes (one for the cut-off coefficient, but I don't remember what the other parameter was).
I requested this because I found that filter to resample at the highest quality I ever heard. Don't get me wrong, the sinc interpolator is very nice. It's just not perfect for very low quality samples (fails my Rhesus Minus' "Daisy Chain" test ;)).

As well as SSE2, it's also optimized for 3dNow. I didn't bother with optimizations for older technology, as I figured those CPUs wouldn't be fast enough anyway, but included the vanilla FPU version so that it could at least still be used when writing to disk on those CPUs.

My P3 @ 650 MHz still has enough computational power to play every module I have on my hard drive (and I'm talking about complex ITs, like Skaven's "The Goblin Returns"), as long as I'm not doing anything else.
I'm assuming you're using floating point sample data for internal mixing, so that would exclude MMX optimization. But perhaps SSE could bring a performance boost, even if only by allowing concurrent MMX/x87 execution (freeing up the FPU registers). :)

Regarding the sample rate options... it'll be in the next update :)

Thank you! I really appreciate it! :)

Edit:
There's something I noticed in resonant filtering. There's a rather long filter sweep at the end of the 7th order of "Drifting Onwards", by Jeffrey Lim (the module that came with Impulse Tracker 2.14, as a resonant filter demonstration). I can't accurately describe it, but XMPlay doesn't sound like Impulse Tracker, as if the resonance became "uncontrolled" (too loud?) at very low cut-off frequencies.
Speaking of resonant filters, are they implemented using SIMD instructions? :)
« Last Edit: 21 Feb '05 - 19:55 by HyperDrive »

WingZero

« Reply #61 on: 21 Feb '05 - 01:48 »
Oh I dunno... it seemed fast enough for a P266-based laptop playing one of Warder's evil modules... though it was killing virtual channels left-right-center and redlining the CPU...

Speaking of Warder's modules, it seems that XeeGee's modules are worse for me. There are noticeable slowdowns, such as choppy moving things (windows, scrolling, etc), and recently, a slowed scrolling title in XMPlay. Warder's modules don't do this. Perhaps it's a bit of a bug?

Zarggg

« Reply #62 on: 21 Feb '05 - 17:54 »

I would not be adverse to a context-menu option for "Close and retain playback info" or whatever on the tray icon.

However, at the moment, double-clicking the tray icon and right-clicking the close button isn't too labor-intensive for me. :P

Philidor11

« Reply #63 on: 21 Feb '05 - 20:27 »
Help file.

Small improvement.
Now I have to go into the XMPlay folder to read the text document.
How about a shortcut to the document inside XMPlay, with a "?" icon?

Also, 3.2 sounds great!  Listening to Mahler's First Symphony now, and enjoying the strings woodwinds and brass coming in sharp and clear from separate places, even at 128.
XMPlay is the best, and with WinAmp and Sonique both dead, who's going to be able to come close?

Timwi

« Reply #64 on: 22 Feb '05 - 19:38 »
(Unicode Support) Been there since 3.1. Not always working, but that's mostly the fault of Win98 and plugins from what I've gathered.
I have Windows 2000, and I cannot type non-Latin-1 characters in the "Find" box. The Find box also doesn't display any non-Latin-1 characters in the list.

Tsorovan

« Reply #65 on: 23 Feb '05 - 14:12 »
(Some points are stolen. Some features are things I personally don't care about or would use (like everything concerning the Media Library for example), but I realize others would care about.)

Being able to choose what info to be in the Playlist info popup

Let Write to Disk in the track context menu double as an automatic chooser of the WAV Writer and write the module to disk with the default settings. It's always annoying having to manually change the output device and stuff for the odd track. One foreseeable quirk is determining what settings to use... I guess one could have a "Default Disk Writer" setting in the Options and Stuff dialog...

Snapping/dockable/magnetic windows. At least make the Info window dockable with the main/mini panel. And make it move with the edge of the panel it's sitting flush with when switching between Mini and Main mode (and panels).

Sort files on load option.

Remove/don't add duplicates on load option.

Range looping. Just right-click+drag on the track slider and it'll automagically loop between the loop points. "Drop loop point" shortcut might be cool too. Another right-click/"Clear loop points" shortcut press to clear. If dropped on different files, XMPlay will loop the selection of files between, and including, these files plus automatically create a queue for you, so you'll easily know what's happened. [this stricken-out part is stupid]

Tenth of seconds option.   : D

Simple/lean/unobtrusive multiple playlists solution: alt+1-5 (or whatever you choose) to switch between 5 playlists. When switching to another playlist, XMPlay will automatically pause playback on the previously active playlist. The number of allowed playlists is made-up on the spot, but I think 5 is a pretty good number, no?

Bookmarks. 1 through 0 for setting bookmarks. Ctrl+1 through 0 to recall them (or whatever you choose). Especially handy for talkshow streams or other long files. 10 slots should suffice I think. Preferably, they would work over multiple playlists detailed above. Maybe also add an option for whether they should persist per session or be saved to disk.

Periodic saving of playlist(s). Maybe with configurable delay. Would cut down on the aggravation accumulated when losing your playlist(s) due to a crash.*

*: preferably, crashes should never occur, but they do. Also, even if you manage to one day get XMPlay to be rock solid, Windows might crash heh.

"Prevent multiple instances" option.

Option for average VBR bitrate display versus dynamic VBR bitrate display for MP3s (updating could be 1 or 2 Hz or something). in_mpc.dll outputs the dynamic one, so it should be trivial, yes? Both Info Display and Info Window -> General. With the dynamic chosen, an average bitrate could be shown in parenthesis in the Info Window -> General for good measure.

( Right-click menu option or hotkey thing: Move selection to top/bottom (of playlist))

Playlist track numbering option. (I don't waaaaant it!)

Right-hand side Playlist track count... let it show amount of files selected (when there's a selection) instead of which number track you're on, or flash it like the time display. I find myself never ever ever caring about just which number track I'm on at the time... I can already see that as it is, but I often want to know just how many files I'm currently selecting. The current setup is kind of "eh?".

Info Window auto-sizing should preferably be settable as Horizontal, Vertical or Both. Either by clicking through all options, or let left mouse button control vertical and right horizontal. I want vertical, but not horizontal, so thus I can't use it at all. Actually, I think it might be best if right-clicking brings up a menu with 3 choices (Horizontal, Vertical, Horizontal & Vertical) and let left-click toggle it. Nice and simple. Won't require any more bitmaps or anything either.

Make "Size" in Info Window -> General thousand separated, either with EU-standard  spaces or American commas. Right now, it's kind of difficult to see if a file is tens of MB or hundreds or whatever. You have to count the digits/divide them up into groups of 3; it's not instantly recognizable/overviewable.

e.g.:
Current: Size: 16598464 bytes
Proposed: Size: 16,598,464 bytes or Size: 16 598 464 bytes

(Do the same with Hz/frames/whatever that will have thousand separators listings. (e.g. Sample rate: 44,100 Hz).) This is not really as important.

Option to have XMPlay NOT select the files you just added to the playlist, or only select them if they're added to a playlist with other tracks already present.
Code: [Select]
[X] Automatically select files added to playlist
  |-[X] Only if not alone in playlist

Focus options. (Apparently not easy to fix, if even possible at all, according to Ian)

Code: [Select]
[X] Don't steal focus when loading a new file
  |-() In Always-on-Top mode
  |-( ) Ever

More extensive CUE support. This might be a tricky one. If you open a .CUE instead of the actual playable files, virtually "cut up" cuesheet songs (regardless of format... plugin-played ones too) into tracks in the playlist with the correct tags brought in from the .CUE. Myself, I don't like tags so I always use filename display... which would suck for this (filename would just be [c:\mongoloidmusic\]retardsong.flac,numericoffset) ... so, have alternate Track Display formatting for albums with cuesheets? It's no huge deal, but it could be a nice touch. Basically, treat .CUEs as mini-playlists. Or, do it automatically... Or even better, option between this and the current way, which could also be an option for sub-song MODs.

Media Library: For those who don't want to rely on ID3 tags being correct (since they rarely are), being able to deconstruct path/filename into relevant fields (artist, album title, tracknumber, track title and year of release blablabla)? Either as a simple %Artist% blabla thing, or with a neat regexp. Outlined here.

Find Tracks dialog should be separate from the Options and Stuff dialog. An additional, more specialized dialog like Winamp's "Jump to Track" dialog would also be nice (or it could supersede it), with quick-filtering. A la this thread:
      http://un4seen.com/forum/?topic=2888.msg18902#msg18902
It could be skinnable too, or maybe construct itself from the Info Window bitmaps (with a few additional bitmaps), but that's just icing on the cake.

"Disable flashing time display when paused" option.

Shorter tooltip delay if possible (possibly hardcoded in Windows? But I believe Ian is using his own tooltips). Making it configurable would be total boss, man!

Options and Stuff redesign. Tree control or like Photoshop CS's.
        http://un4seen.com/forum/?board=2;action=display;threadid=1923;start=msg15901#msg15901

Configurable icon for every plugin filetype, so you can still use XMPlay's integration settings instead of having to make your own.

Width/Height presets for the different Info Window subwindows. Usually, you might probably want to have the Media Library/Pattern View way wider (or in the case of other visualizations, smaller) than the playlist, but still have it restricted since the auto-sizing might do way too drastic size changes for you. Maybe even have Max/Min settings that override the auto-sizing where chosen.

I made a thread regarding future skin system improvements, but I decided to add this here because it's fairly trivial and it's kind of more immediate: Font stuffs: http://un4seen.com/forum/?topic=3022.msg20304#msg20304   Make separate font_ settings for every single field and "status", please. And I mean all possible ones, like colour, size, bold, align (and shadowstuffs (mentioned in the skinning thread)).

I know, I rock. I have PayPal if you want to show your appreciation of my well-honed intellect! (:

Added on Dec 7, 2005:

How about adding a configurable list in XMPlay on FORBIDDEN filetypes? Apart from working around the highly annoying case when plugins for some reason think it's a good idea to add non-playable files to the playlist, I'd like to be able to block any adding of .m3us for instance... I add albums on mostly a per-directory basis, via drag 'n' drop or the context menu, and why would I want that pesky .m3u that I haven't tracked down and deleted yet added when I'm already getting the files added anyway?
« Last Edit: 8 Dec '05 - 10:47 by Tsorovan »

Pike84

« Reply #66 on: 23 Feb '05 - 15:27 »
Most of these suggestions didn't really touch me in any way, so you can just add "whatever" by me after them :P. But if they are actually to be implemented, this suggestion is one of the most important:
Options and Stuff redesign. Tree control or like Photoshop CS's.

And here are the other ones that did touch me in some way :):

Sort files on load option.

Remove/don't add duplicates on load option.
Nice ideas.

Range looping. Just right-click+drag on the track slider and it'll automagically loop between the loop points. "Drop loop point" shortcut might be cool too. Another right-click/"Clear loop points" shortcut press to clear. If dropped on different files, XMPlay will loop the selection of files between and including these files plus automatically create a queue for you, so you'll easily know what's happened.
Uh.. Don't know if it's just me, but this is probably one of the most irrelevant suggestions I've read so far. Sounds like a lot of work for, like, one user :P. Well, who knows, perhaps you'll get a huge support from other people here ;D.

Simple/lean/unobtrusive multiple playlists solution: alt+1-5 (or whatever you choose) to switch between 5 playlists. When switching to another playlist, XMPlay will automatically pause playback on the previously active playlist. The number of allowed playlists is made-up on the spot, but I think 5 is a pretty good number, no?
I still think this is a good idea too. It was first suggested in January 2003 btw, so it's about time to get it through :).

Bookmarks. 1 through 0 for setting bookmarks. Ctrl+1 through 0 to recall them (or whatever you choose). Especially handy for talkshow streams or other long files. 10 slots should suffice I think. Preferably, they would work over multiple playlists detailed above. Maybe also add an option for whether they should persist per session or be saved to disk.
Why not.

More extensive CUE support.
"Extensive support" always sounds good :).

Find Tracks dialog should be separate from the Options and Stuff dialog. An additional, more specialized dialog like Winamp's "Jump to Track" dialog would also be nice (or it could supersede it), with quick-filtering.
Gets my vote.

I know, I rock. I have PayPal if you want to show your appreciation of my well-honed intellect! (:
Yeah right :).

Tsorovan

« Reply #67 on: 23 Feb '05 - 15:35 »
Range looping. [...]
Uh.. Don't know if it's just me, but this is probably one of the most irrelevant suggestions I've read so far. Sounds like a lot of work for, like, one user :P. Well, who knows, perhaps you'll get a huge support from other people here ;D.
Hehe, actually, I probably wouldn't use it much. The 2nd part of that, with queue stuff, is kind of unnecessary considering how easy it is to create a queue nowadays... I can still see some people use it, for example if they want to sit and play an instrument to a certain piece of a song without having to use another program. If there'll ever be a Chronotron-like plugin for XMPlay, it'd be even more wanted, I'm sure. But yeah, I, personally, probably wouldn't use it much.

Jace

« Reply #68 on: 24 Feb '05 - 06:47 »
Range looping:
Another way it could be usable:
As I occasionally do when I lack lyrics from a song, I sit, listen and write them down.
If there's a particularly difficult bit somewhere, it's good to listen through it lots and lots of times. Also, people usually sing faster than I can type, so that's another thing. ;D

But I don't do that often and I don't believe other people would be doing it much (consider how lazy people are these days ;D) for it to be added to an all-around player like XMP. There are other more efficient progs for that kinda specialised task. :)

m5m5

« Reply #69 on: 24 Feb '05 - 14:13 »
here's two more suggestions:

- control for scroll up/down in playlist through mouse wheel up/down

- remove entries from playlist with delete button on keyboard

Tsorovan

« Reply #70 on: 24 Feb '05 - 14:42 »
Either you're not being clear enough, I'm stupid like a stone, or my XMPlay already does that.

m5m5

« Reply #71 on: 24 Feb '05 - 18:12 »
You're right about the scrolling. Weird! Don't know where I got that from now. ??? I'm beyond stone stupidity it seems! ;D

But I still request this:

- remove entries from playlist with delete button on keyboard

Because that still does not work in my xmplay 3.2 (right clicking and selecting 'remove' is the only way).

I could add a similar request for

- move selection up/down in playlist with up/down key

Rah'Dick

• XMPlay Support
« Reply #72 on: 24 Feb '05 - 18:37 »
You can set yourself a shortcut for removing the selected track. Just look at the "Shortcuts" tab in the options.

Brian

« Reply #73 on: 24 Feb '05 - 18:52 »
I can delete single entries from a playlist with the delete key. I didn't have to configure this, it just does it.

I'd like to repeat an earlier request, please: I'd like the ability to select a contiguous block of entries for deletion by holding down Ctrl + Shift, selecting the first entry in the block and hitting the Page Down key. Many thanks.

Rah'Dick

• XMPlay Support
« Reply #74 on: 24 Feb '05 - 19:38 »
There are a couple predefined shortcuts... But I don't know what they are since I deleted all of them and created my own ones a couple of months ago...  ::)