Author Topic: bass starts to hickup after a while  (Read 2942 times)

insignis

bass starts to hickup after a while
« on: 4 Oct '02 - 09:02 »
i am the bass.dll on several systems, in which an crystal audio card is build in (Hewlett Packard).
after a while , while playing from a playlist (hour(s)), the music start to hick. Does anyone know what can be the problem of this.

ps. I am using the Windows NT4 operating on all stations (6).

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
Re: bass starts to hickup after a while
« Reply #1 on: 4 Oct '02 - 10:57 »
Hours? I'm surprised it took that long :D

I don't actually have an NT4 system available for testing anymore, but when I did, I do remember that it's DirectSound implementation wasn't all that clever. The biggest problem being that the buffer cursors (that indicate to BASS how much data it should write to the buffer) weren't very accurate, and would sometimes jump backwards!

There have been a couple of new service packs since I had NT4 installed though, so it may well have been improved. If you don't have the latest service pack installed, then you should try that. I could also send you the current build to try, which has a little modification to the update thread that may (or may not :)) help with your problem.

insignis

« Reply #2 on: 4 Oct '02 - 15:52 »
Ian, for what i know i use the latest service pack (sp6a). So we can conclude that the buffer problem is still there.

If you can help me with the new code, i am very gracefull.
p.s. i tried the fmod implementation of the Ogg Vorbis MP3 codec but that one hicks imediately.

paddy

« Reply #3 on: 7 Oct '02 - 07:43 »
I've had a similar problem with a Dell Laptop PII 300Mhz, 64MB RAM loaded with Win2k.

Only occurs when bass is init to use 44.1khz and 2 MP3 songs are loaded. The second song sounds like a very old record with  lot of clicks and distortion.

Reload the song and the problem is gone.

At first I thought it was the timers hogging resources but the problem was still there when I disabled them. Big buffer doesn't help. DX Acceleration setting - nada...

Everything seems to work fine when using 22.05Khz - so I guess its a resource issue. Which leads me to the next question..

What is the recommended minimum setup for CD quality performance when playing Multiple Streams and Recording at the same time?

Rgds.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 7 Oct '02 - 14:29 »
A P2-300 should be fine (so long as it's not a dozen or more MP3s :)). 64MB is a bit low for Windows, but that'd probably be ok too.

Do you still have that laptop? If so, what soundcard does it have, and does it have the latest drivers and DirectX?

theJohn

« Reply #5 on: 11 Feb '03 - 11:34 »
I'm wondering if this issue has been solved yet.

I'm using a Via Epia Eden board with Win98SE and I'm noticing
the same behaviour : After a couple of hours, everything gets
an annoying 'gurgeling' sound.
After closing en reopening the program everything is
fine again.

Anyone has the answer already?

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 11 Feb '03 - 16:30 »
After a couple of hours, everything gets an annoying 'gurgeling' sound.

It only happens with long MP3 files/streams, right? :) ... it'll be sorted in 1.8 (I can send an update to try if you like).

This is not related to the NT problem above, which was fixed (in 1.7, judging by the date of the post).

theJohn

« Reply #7 on: 12 Feb '03 - 10:08 »
Yep, I use Bass to play my CD collection (converted to mp3),
so I guess these could be called 'long'.

I very much like to test an updated version, if possible.
(Testing will be a long process, since the problem only
occurs after several hours :-/)