Poll

new format

ok
2 (100%)
two
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: New format of AUDIO is not MP3  (Read 9002 times)

zipdecode

New format of AUDIO is not MP3
« on: 2 Mar '06 - 14:53 »

raina

Re: New format of AUDIO is not MP3
« Reply #1 on: 2 Mar '06 - 15:17 »
My answer would have to be number 1: The Larch. Too bad you didn't list it.

zipdecode

« Reply #2 on: 4 Mar '06 - 23:59 »
this format of audio is exclusive of www.ATR.com.mx single can reproduced with its system has the same quality that mp3 but but is reduced  DLL of the ATR reproducer
http://rapidshare.de/files/13478133/DLL.rar.html   Ufff This formats of audio are very hard of which somebody can make a reproducer not say impossible

3delite

« Reply #3 on: 6 Aug '06 - 03:36 »
The new format for audio for me is the FLAC - Free Lossless Audio Codec

Zarggg

« Reply #4 on: 14 Aug '06 - 04:54 »
I'm still using Musepak. Lossless takes up too much space for my liking.

Torkell

« Reply #5 on: 14 Aug '06 - 19:36 »
I'm personally using Ogg -q 6. I actually did some quick non-scientific tests, and it's an awful lot better than mp3 even down to -1 (yep, that's minus one) quality. Put it this way: I could hear that it wasn't as good, but I'd happily listen to it at that all day long. Whereas with MP3 and WMA the underwater-metal-warbling is awful.

Tsorovan

« Reply #6 on: 14 Aug '06 - 21:06 »
LAME v3.97b2 --alt-preset extreme. I pee on OGG Vorbis. I can't justify moving to FLAC yet... storage isn't quite there, and even though my iAudio U3 can play FLAC, it's way too large for portables... LAME --alt-preset extreme is transparent anyway. I do have some FLAC encodes though, that I do. MPC as well.

Torkell

« Reply #7 on: 15 Aug '06 - 19:15 »
There speaks someone with far better speakers than me. Then again, my earphones are better than my speakers.

Out of curosity, what have you got against OGG?

Sam_Zen

« Reply #8 on: 16 Nov '06 - 02:15 »
Of course the format will be different. It will be every next time, due to new developments. But we are talking about two different categories here : lossy and lossless. One can have a dispute among the preferred lossy ones, but comparison with the lossless is not quite relevant.
At this moment I prefer the FLAC-format. More and more add-ons and plugins are coming available. It's open-source.
It's a matter of time I think, because speed and bandwidth are still growing. A WAV-file is still huge, so the compression-method was invented for net-traffic. One could say roughly that an Mp3 is about a 10th of the original filesize. A quality FLAC is about a 3rd of the size.

Tsorovan

« Reply #9 on: 16 Nov '06 - 19:34 »
You can certainly discuss the usefulness of lossy vs. lossless with regards to file size. Definitely relevant today. Naturally, lossless will be there in due time as you say, but going all large-scale lossless now is still only a privilege for early adopters.

Lossless is just not possible for me with ~3,000 albums. It (being mostly MP3) already requires a commercial backup solution (which I can't yet afford), and FLAC would also make me require a commercial storage solution, and you can just forget about backup.
« Last Edit: 16 Nov '06 - 19:38 by Tsorovan »

Sam_Zen

« Reply #10 on: 17 Nov '06 - 00:07 »
I think it is necessary to add data about my position in this issue. I understand it's nearly impossible to convert 3000 albums with MP3. But I'm not a collector of songs in that way. I don't have an MP3-player for example. My album-collection is mainly on audio-CD. Of course I have some compressed files on the system, but it's no big deal.
I'm an electronic composer, and my works are of course in WAV-format. So I was looking for a method for archiving, to get files smaller without loosing the original, and found FLAC.

Apart from the discussion about quality and bitrates, my choice for OGG is also an economic one. I publish some of my work on the net, of course in a compressed format. Now, at least in my country, there is a growing chance that everybody with MP3's on a webpage, will have to pay some copyright-tax, maybe asked for by Fraunhofer. So I choose for an open-source alternative.