Author Topic: XMPlay RealAudio plugin  (Read 320323 times)

Brian

Re: XMPlay RealAudio plugin
« Reply #125 on: 7 Dec '06 - 10:03 »
As the bug reports and suggestions aren't exactly pouring in, perhaps you would consider issuing an updated version in the near future, please. Many thanks.

farcus

« Reply #126 on: 13 Dec '06 - 03:02 »
Using the xmplay real audio plugin to listen to Virgin Radio's Real 10 AAC stream. The memory footprint starts out at around 3MB but over the course of about 30 min - 60 min the memory foot print creeps up to about 40MB. Also, audio begins to stutter a little when memory footprint gets this large.
Using the plugin with real alternative (latest release)

Using other streams from Virgin (ogg, mp3, aac+) the memory used is around 3mb and doesn't change.

Is this a plugin bug or a real audio problem?

Fraggie

« Reply #127 on: 13 Dec '06 - 10:57 »
The stuttering, as you call it, is obviously the plugin's fault (RTSP implementation doesn't handle lost packets during streaming). This problem is going to be fixed with the next release. Memory usage is increasing while playing, because the plugin caches all downloaded data to allow seeking when the streaming is over and to allow saving the stream to disk. The next version will have an option to disable this behaviour.

farcus

« Reply #128 on: 17 Dec '06 - 02:55 »
any timeframe on the next release?

Fraggie

« Reply #129 on: 17 Dec '06 - 09:28 »
January.

Fraggie

« Reply #130 on: 3 Jan '07 - 18:29 »
Beta 6 of RealAudio plugin is now available. Here are the changes:

- RealAudio 10 RALF (RealAudio Lossless Format) codec support
- RealAudio 10 WHRL/COOK multichanel files support (with multichannel output on multispeaker systems)
- Fragmented VBR interleaver ("vbrf") support
- lpcJ, 28_8 and DNET codecs support in RMFF container
- Audio header version 3 support in RMFF container
- SIPR codec support in plain RA files
- Non-standard interleaver/codec combinations support

- Faster file scanning
- Reliable format detection (won't throw accidental files onto playlist)
- SMIL and RAM parsers highly improved
- Unlimited RAM/SMIL redirections (no matter how badly the real stream is nested)
- Support for SMIL's over RTSP
- Manual and automatic stream selection when SMIL or RAM points to multiple sources
- No file format checking when no decoders are available

- Smarter buffering process
- Small memory usage on live streams (option to turn of cache'ing)
- Faster connection establishment
- Strange noises or crashes on sudden connection failure fixed
- Quicker response to user connection cancel wish (pressing STOP)

- Juddering on lost keyframes fixed
- Juddering on badly encoded/downloaded/ripped files fixed
- Random juddering on playback start fixed
- Fixed seeking when entire remote file has been downloaded
- Many memory problems fixed

- Multiple logical file-info's displaying
- Buffering progress displaying
- Server name displaying
- Interleaver type displaying

- Stream saving has been disabled

BTW, to my knowledge this plugin makes XMPlay the only player (apart from RealPlayer itself) that can play files compressed using the RALF codec! :D

Note: You need the RALF.DLL for RALF codec support. Available with RealAlternative.

Please tell me if you have any problems with this release (many parts of the code have been rewritten, so some old bugs may reappear).

http://dhost.info/pieknyman/download.html
« Last Edit: 8 Jan '07 - 09:41 by Fraggie »

Brian

« Reply #131 on: 3 Jan '07 - 21:29 »
This is excellent news - thanks very much indeed. I look forward to trying it out over the next few days. One thing I've noticed straight away is that I have to change the URLs in my saved radio station playlist files (the ones that worked with the previous beta don't work with this version), but that's no great hardship.

« Reply #132 on: 6 Jan '07 - 00:54 »
Firstly thanks for excellent plugin!  ;D
But there is a problem, this stream won't play:
rtsp://audio.chinabroadcast.cn/spread/smil/russian/2006/12/russian_Tuesday-xfqy_20061226.smil

Fraggie

« Reply #133 on: 6 Jan '07 - 10:41 »
Your stream's server is painfully slow. After about a minute (if it doesn't time out) the connection gets eventually established and some sound is played, but is dropping every couple of seconds.

Media Player Classic stays forever on "Opening...' and RealPlayer10 just throws an error in the very beginning.

So I guess you have to be in China to comfortably listen to this stream... ? ;D

« Reply #134 on: 7 Jan '07 - 10:54 »
ок, thanks for help.  ;D

Zarggg

« Reply #135 on: 8 Jan '07 - 03:50 »
Download does not work, Fraggie. :(

Fraggie

« Reply #136 on: 8 Jan '07 - 09:34 »

Brian

« Reply #137 on: 12 Jan '07 - 14:45 »
Please assist me with a problem. I've just had to do a clean install of Windows XP. I've installed XMPlay exactly as it was before, but now when I try to launch the player I get an error message saying that pncrt.dll can't be found. In fact this file is in a real codecs folder along with all the others, to which I have pointed the real audio plugin. I wonder what's going on here, please? Many thanks.

Edit: Panic over! I'd forgotten to copy pncrt.dll to my Windows\System 32 folder. Everything works fine now.
« Last Edit: 12 Jan '07 - 14:52 by Brian »

Brian

« Reply #138 on: 21 Jan '07 - 18:18 »
I'm still having problems with this stream, and others from the same server. The stream goes on buffering for ever, and never starts playing:

http://vodreal.stanford.edu/opa/philo/070114.ram

This happens whatever settings I choose in the plugin config.

Many thanks.

Fraggie

« Reply #139 on: 21 Jan '07 - 19:46 »
Yes, this is a strange case. The server sends only a one second long video stream (which the plugin bypasses) and when that video stream is over, it refuses to send the audio data giving EOF all the time. I think it must be a problem with the RTSP implementation I ripped off of MPlayer which is not sending the correct request. When I have some free time, I'll try to eavesdrop on Media Player Classic to get what it tells the server. ;D
« Last Edit: 21 Jan '07 - 19:47 by Fraggie »

Brian

« Reply #140 on: 21 Jan '07 - 21:19 »
Thanks - I'll wait for further news.

petersw

« Reply #141 on: 7 Feb '07 - 22:01 »
First, thanks for this great plug-in!

Second, I've been having trouble with the beta 6 version timing out.  This seems to happen with every Real stream that I play.  For example, when I play:

rtsp://rmlive.bbc.co.uk/bbc-rbs/rmlive/ev7/live24/worldservice/livenews_v8.ra

It plays fine for about 1.5 minutes, and then stops.  I can easily reconnect, but it will never play for more than about 1:30 minutes.  Is there something I can adjust to correct this?

Thanks!

Fraggie

« Reply #142 on: 9 Feb '07 - 13:30 »
Yup, it happens here the same. But only the BBC streams are not working for me (I could've however sworn that I used to listen to them with this plugin). This is very strange. The connection drops exactly after 90 seconds. Funny, it looks like the server cuts the connection on purpose after this time... I try to look into it.

Brian

« Reply #143 on: 9 Feb '07 - 15:18 »
I'm not having any trouble with BBC streams these days, although I did with the early versions of the plugin.

petersw

« Reply #144 on: 9 Feb '07 - 17:04 »
Thanks for checking into this.  Here's another Real stream that cuts out early.  This one seems to last about 80 seconds:

http://kqedrm.streamguys.us/ramgen/encoder/885live.rm

Fraggie

« Reply #145 on: 10 Feb '07 - 10:59 »
If you know any other streams with this problem, please let me know. I'll look for a common pattern..
« Last Edit: 10 Feb '07 - 11:11 by Fraggie »

Fraggie

« Reply #146 on: 10 Feb '07 - 11:11 »
Brian, can you confirm that both streams from petersw are working on your end?

Brian

« Reply #147 on: 10 Feb '07 - 16:34 »
No, they aren't - they cut out at 90 seconds and 80 seconds respectively. But I listen to this BBC stream most days, without any problems:

rtsp://rm.bbc.co.uk:554/worldservice/newshour2000.ra

This is a recorded programme, so it may be that the cutting-out behaviour is specific to live streams, if that's of any help.

petersw

« Reply #148 on: 11 Feb '07 - 05:41 »
Here are some more I've found:

85 Seconds: rtsp://helix.advance.net:554/broadcast/olive/haldir/one.rm (Helix Mobile Server Version 11.0.2.2358)

80 Seconds: rtsp://199.184.237.181:554/encoders/kapu.rm (Helix DNA Server Plus Version 11.0.0.1051)

85 Seconds: rtsp://real2.commedia.org.uk:7554/encoder/glosfm.rm (Helix Server Version 11.0.2.2358)

BBC (Helix Server Version 11.1.1.1099)

KQED (Helix Server Version 11.0.1.1884)

So far, the only thing that I've found in common with all of these is that they use various releases of version 11 of the "Helix Server".  I don't seem to have any problem when a stream uses the RealServer.

I hope this helps!

Brian

« Reply #149 on: 4 Apr '07 - 09:44 »
An update before we're much older would be very welcome, please. For the time being I've had to revert to using Tara to play real audio streams, as they consistently cut out after 90 seconds with this version of the native plugin.