Author Topic: XMPlay RealAudio plugin  (Read 311549 times)

Fraggie

Re: XMPlay RealAudio plugin
« Reply #25 on: 22 Mar '06 - 14:53 »
Great - I can now play almost all of my favourite streams. The exception is this one:

http://www.voanews.com/real/live/newsnow.ram

Any help with this much appreciated - and many thanks once again.

Fixed.

treefog

« Reply #26 on: 22 Mar '06 - 15:20 »
I can now play all the stream I listed with the exception of the two with PNM protocol.

Do you think you will be able to support the PNM protocol?

I can do some checking for other Canadian stream that will not play if this will help you but have no way to detect the protocol used.

I have RealAudio on one machine and Media Player Classic (Real Alternative) on another machine and both play PNM streams but can't find a way to display the stream protocol with either player. If I could detect the stream protocol I can eliminate the PNM protocol from any stream that don't play.

Thanks.

uRRada

« Reply #27 on: 22 Mar '06 - 15:40 »
What about Quicktime then?
"amr" etc.?

thanks. *-D

Brian

« Reply #28 on: 22 Mar '06 - 16:09 »
Briilliant - all fine now. With luck and at long last, goodbye to bulky codecs packages and to Tara (although I'll keep them stored away safely just in case)! Once more, thanks very much indeed for this most welcome addition to XMPlay's native plugins repertoire.

piovrauz

« Reply #29 on: 23 Mar '06 - 09:21 »
Bug report? If this plugin is "installed", drag&dropping directories crash (close without warning) Xmplay. I found it tries to load .txt files (in the playlist)...

Lumina83

« Reply #30 on: 23 Mar '06 - 11:27 »
I didn't manage to get any .GSF files, so I tested this issue with .MINIGSFs. Do they differ significantly?
Sorry, I did mean MINIGSFs. A MINIGSF file is merely a GSF file without sample data embedded; it references a GSFLIB file for the sample data. This saves disk space by only storing the samples once, instead of in every file.

I'm not surprised you couldn't find any .GSF files, as I haven't been able to either. All the GSF sets I've seen are in the MINIGSF format.

And, unfortunately, the RealAudio plugin is still crashing Highly Advanced. :(

Fraggie

« Reply #31 on: 23 Mar '06 - 12:45 »
I can now play all the stream I listed with the exception of the two with PNM protocol.
Do you think you will be able to support the PNM protocol?
I haven't looked into it yet.

I can do some checking for other Canadian stream that will not play if this will help you but have no way to detect the protocol used.
I have RealAudio on one machine and Media Player Classic (Real Alternative) on another machine and both play PNM streams but can't find a way to display the stream protocol with either player. If I could detect the stream protocol I can eliminate the PNM protocol from any stream that don't play.
If you open the .RAMs in Notepad you'll see which protocol is used.

What about Quicktime then?
"amr" etc.?
Is it that popular? I wouldn't use it anyway. :)

Bug report? If this plugin is "installed", drag&dropping directories crash (close without warning) Xmplay. I found it tries to load .txt files (in the playlist)...
Fixed. (Actually for me it's the MPC plugin that's putting text files into the playlist.)

And, unfortunately, the RealAudio plugin is still crashing Highly Advanced. :(
I have HA v0.11 and it doesn't make any problems at all. ???

New stuff in beta3:
  • Many bugs fixed
  • HTTP streams work again
  • RTSP streams can now be opened via open dialog
  • RTSP streaming now responds to buffer size setting

Brian

« Reply #32 on: 23 Mar '06 - 14:12 »
I'm afraid beta 3 is a step backwards from my point of view. I can play this stream in beta 2 but not in beta 3:

http://www.voanews.com/real/live/newsnow.ram

Fraggie

« Reply #33 on: 23 Mar '06 - 15:35 »
Oops. Sorry for that... It should be fine now.

Brian

« Reply #34 on: 23 Mar '06 - 17:30 »
Yes, it is, thanks very much.

Fraggie

« Reply #35 on: 24 Mar '06 - 08:44 »
The plugin now supports PNM protocol streaming.

Brian

« Reply #36 on: 24 Mar '06 - 10:32 »
XMPlay now crashes when trying to play this stream:

http://abc.net.au/streaming/newsradio.ram

Thank you

Fraggie

« Reply #38 on: 27 Mar '06 - 08:22 »
Oops again.  ;D

Brian

« Reply #39 on: 27 Mar '06 - 09:48 »
All seems fine now when first connecting to any stream, thanks very much. But some streams go haywire after playing for a while, whereas with Tara they never did. This one, for instance, starts juddering badly after about 15 minutes:

http://real.xobix.ch/live/ssatclass.ram

It's hard to be more precise, because unlike Tara, this plugin doesn't generate any error messages within XMPlay.

By the way, all the streams I listen to seem to be Real Audio 6.0, using cook.dll.

What are your plans for the plugin now, I wonder? Thanks again.

« Last Edit: 27 Mar '06 - 10:06 by Brian »

treefog

« Reply #40 on: 27 Mar '06 - 16:25 »
All my streams (Including Real PNM) work ok now.

But Brian's http://real.xobix.ch/live/ssatclass.ram stream stopped playing after 7min. and 21min, no juddering just stopped. Xmplay locked up on each stop and I had to use Windows Task Manager to close Xmplay (ctrl/alt/del).

Played one of my Real PNM streams for 1.5hr with no problems.

treefog

« Reply #41 on: 27 Mar '06 - 18:20 »
I just got the juddering on Real PNM stream http://www.radioowensound.com/liveam.ram .

The stream played ok for over 100minís and then started juddering.

Tried to restart the stream but it would not play. Tried to play other streams with no success.

Xmplay closed ok with its close button (X), but would not reload.

Checked Windows Task Manager:
  Windows Task Manager/Applications did not show xmplay.exe .
  Windows Task Manager/Processes showed xmplay.exe running.

Killed xmplay.exe Process and Xmplay loaded ok.

treefog

« Reply #42 on: 27 Mar '06 - 22:01 »
I got the same juddering problem on Real PNM stream http://www.radioowensound.com/liveam.ram after a 45min. run. This time I could not load Xmplay after killing the xmplay.exe process, had to reboot to get Mxplay to load.

Got the same juddering problem after a 90min. run. This time I did not kill the xmplay.exe process, I just rebooted. On windows shutdown the Not Responding Ending Program form came up. After clicking End Now a form came up showing an xmplay.exe memory allocation error. As the form closed quickly and the machine rebooted I could not capture the address information for you.

Hope this info helps you.

Fraggie

« Reply #43 on: 28 Mar '06 - 08:43 »
I have no idea what's going on. Please try to increase "internet streaming buffer" in XMPlay options and see if that helps.

Brian

« Reply #44 on: 28 Mar '06 - 11:23 »
Yes, buffering certainly seems to be part of the problem. I tried pushing the level up to the max of 30 (previously I had it at 5) and the Swiss Classic stream I mentioned above has now been playing cleanly for over an hour. Of course this means that it also takes that much longer for the stream to start playing at the outset, but I guess I can live with that; and I can try progressively reducing the buffer again and seeing what happens. However, I think it's fair to say one would expect underbuffering to produce breaks in the stream, not the kind of weird behaviour treefog and I have been experiencing, so it would be very helpful if you could continue to wrestle with the problem, please. Perhaps there's some aspect of XMPlay's architecture involved here that Ian or Sebastian Mares could comment on, please?  Many thanks.

Fraggie

« Reply #45 on: 28 Mar '06 - 11:39 »
Perhaps there's some aspect of XMPlay's architecture involved here that Ian or Sebastian Mares could comment on, please?
I fairly doubt it would crash on HTTP streams... :)

treefog

« Reply #46 on: 28 Mar '06 - 16:42 »
I increased the internet streaming buffer from 15 to 30 for this test with stream http://www.radioowensound.com/liveam.ram.

Stream started juddering after 47min's.

Notes:
When the stream is juddering the time continues to count. Clicking on the pause button stops the juddering sound and the time counting, and the play/pause button rapidly switches back and forth between pause and play. When I click the flashing play/pause button Xmplay switches to play mode and the juddering sound starts and the time starts counting. Clicking the play/pause button back and forth between modes several times caused Xmplay to lockup and required End Task (ctrl/alt/del) to close XMplay.

For a test of Xmplay I let an .ASX stream run continuously for 12hr's over last night and had no problems.

My Hardware:
Home built machine, Intel motherboard P4, 1.8Ghz, 512Mb, XP Pro (sp2)
HP ZE5475 laptop, Intel P4, 2.4Ghz, 512Mb, XP Home (sp2)
Two old HP Vectra's, Intel P2, 600Mhz, 256Mb, XP Pro (sp2)

Testing XMplay ver 3.3.0.3 with xmp-ra.dll(beta 3):
I use the two HP Vectra's for testing my software (my sand box) and have one setup for testing XMplay.
When testing Xmplay on this machine I reboot the machine (clean start) then start Xmplay and let it run untouched until it crashes.

I can also reproduce the juddering crash/lockup problem on my Home built machine and HP Laptop. Doesn't look like a hardware problem.

« Last Edit: 28 Mar '06 - 22:30 by treefog »

treefog

« Reply #47 on: 28 Mar '06 - 18:03 »
Internet streaming buffer set at 30 for this test with stream http://www.radioowensound.com/liveam.ram.

Stream started juddering after 38min's.

This time I let XMplay continue running the juddering stream for another 20min's and it did not lockup or crash, just kept playing the juddering sound. As before when I clicked the pause/play button several times XMplay locked up.

Do you think a Beta tester familiar with the inner workings of XMplay would help you resolve the problem? All I can do is report what I see as I have no clue of what's going on within XMplay.

If you have anything specific you would like me to check or report feel free to ask.

treefog

« Reply #48 on: 28 Mar '06 - 19:36 »
Just had a thought, am I using the same DLL's as you?

My DLL's:
14_43260.dll ver 6.0.7.4994
28_83260.dll ver 6.0.7.4995
atrc.dll        ver 10.0.0.2567
cook.dll       ver 10.0.0.1873
ddnt3260.dll ver 6.0.7.2737
dnet3260.dll ver 6.0.7.2737
raac.dll        ver 10.0.0.790
sipr.dll         ver 10.0.0.2564
pncrt.dll       ver 6.0.0.0

If my DLL's don't match yours, zip yours up and I will do a test with your DLL's.

Fraggie

« Reply #49 on: 29 Mar '06 - 09:24 »
I have been playing http://www.radioowensound.com/liveam.ram for over 2 hours with buffer setting 3 with no problems.

Here is a debug version which will try to catch any probable problems while streaming from PNM protocol (so please test only with PNM) and report them by message boxes. So if anything gets reported please post it here.

http://dhost.info/pieknyman/bin/debug/xmp-ra.dll

Thanks for your time.

PS. Your DLLs are the same as mine.