Author Topic: XMPlay Last.fm/Audioscrobbler plugin (xmp-scrobbler)  (Read 539798 times)

Dotpitch

Re: XMPlay Audioscrobbler plugin (xmp-scrobbler 0.6)
« Reply #350 on: 24 Feb '07 - 12:58 »
Why the hell does WMA buck the standard with that crappy "author" field?
There's a standard?
No, but artist is more common than author or performer, because it's used in IDv3 tags. Perhaps it's more logical too ;).
« Last Edit: 24 Feb '07 - 13:00 by Dotpitch »

yagood

« Reply #351 on: 24 Feb '07 - 13:13 »
Why the hell does WMA buck the standard with that crappy "author" field?
There's a standard?

Nope, but there's common sense.

amit

« Reply #352 on: 28 Feb '07 - 20:29 »
Yagood , Is the  DSP_function in version 0.6 return the value 0?

yagood

« Reply #353 on: 28 Feb '07 - 20:39 »
Yagood , Is the  DSP_function in version 0.6 return the value 0?

Yes.

Zarggg

« Reply #354 on: 3 Mar '07 - 01:29 »
Something I've just noticed... I always get "[WARNING] No valid MusicBrainz ID found, consider using MusicBrainz taggers to tag this file properly!" for every track I submit, even the ones I've tagged using Picard. Is this normal?

yagood

« Reply #355 on: 3 Mar '07 - 10:43 »
Something I've just noticed... I always get "[WARNING] No valid MusicBrainz ID found, consider using MusicBrainz taggers to tag this file properly!" for every track I submit, even the ones I've tagged using Picard. Is this normal?

You can check in XMPlay's Message window (press F2) for "Unique ID" field in "ID3v2" section - this is MBID - if it's there, xmp-scrobbler should extract it. If it's not and you tagged the file with Picard, then it's probably not a MP3 file - MBID is not displayed in XMPlay's Message for example for FLAC files, because FLAC is handled by a plug-in and MBID is not extracted from the tags, so this would be a good request for plug-in's author. But if it's still a MP3 file and you tagged it with Picard and you don't see MBID in Message text or xmp-scrobbler still gives you a warning about MBID, then this may be a bug.

Zarggg

« Reply #356 on: 3 Mar '07 - 16:19 »
I rarely use MP3 for my computer... the files I was noticing were Ogg Vorbis. That would explain it.

yagood

« Reply #357 on: 4 Mar '07 - 00:32 »
I rarely use MP3 for my computer... the files I was noticing were Ogg Vorbis. That would explain it.

Well, actually, now that I look at this, MBID is in the Message text generated from xmp-flac input plug-in - it's in the MUSICBRAINZ_TRACKID comment field, so next version of xmp-scrobbler will extract MBID from it properly. Thanks for reporting this.

Zarggg

« Reply #358 on: 6 Mar '07 - 01:12 »
Will you check for other plugins, or just FLAC? Wanted to clarify that, as the tag name seems to be the same for all of them. ;)
« Last Edit: 7 Mar '07 - 00:14 by Zarggg »

yagood

« Reply #359 on: 20 Mar '07 - 12:30 »
Will you check for other plugins, or just FLAC? Wanted to clarify that, as the tag name seems to be the same for all of them. ;)

So far I've determined non-standard (where standard is "Unique ID") field names for OGG/FLAC (xmp-flac plug-in) and M4A (xmp-aac plug-in) files.

BTW next version is going to be 0.7 and is going to be released shortly after XMPlay 3.4 comes out. Xmp-scrobbler 0.7 will NOT be compatible with XMPlay 3.3 and earlier.
« Last Edit: 20 Mar '07 - 12:33 by yagood »

Zarggg

« Reply #360 on: 21 Mar '07 - 00:07 »
Ok... I know the tag (MUSICBRAINZ_TRACKID) is definitely the same in APEv2, as well.

yagood

Re: XMPlay Audioscrobbler plugin (xmp-scrobbler 0.7)
« Reply #361 on: 3 Apr '07 - 21:39 »
Version 0.7 (compatible with XMPlay 3.4) is ready.

Aux

« Reply #362 on: 6 Apr '07 - 14:42 »
yagood, 0.7 submits only first track from MP3 with CUE. Looks like time counting is not working.

yagood

« Reply #363 on: 6 Apr '07 - 19:58 »
yagood, 0.7 submits only first track from MP3 with CUE. Looks like time counting is not working.

OK, I'll check it out next week, now I don't have access to my PC.

xpatzex

« Reply #364 on: 7 Apr '07 - 09:51 »
hm the plugin doesn't work, i've tried 07 and 0.6 with xmplay 3.4!! it simply doesnt load up :(

it doesn't even appear in Options / Plugins  :(
could it be that the audioscrobbler plugin doesn't work on winme or something like that?

Dotpitch

« Reply #365 on: 7 Apr '07 - 10:15 »
it doesn't even appear in Options / Plugins  :(
Before claiming it doesn't work, take a look at the DSP section instead of the input plugins section. WinME is fine for XMPlay/xmp-scrobbler :).

OK, so what do I do now?
If you don't have Last.fm account yet, create one before you install xmp-scrobbler. Then download xmp-scrobbler (link below) and copy it to XMPlay directory. Xmp-scrobbler is a DSP plugin so go to the options and add it there, then click Config, enter your username and password and tick Enable plugin checkbox. And that's all! Now just listen to your favorite music like you always do - nothing's changing, xmp-scrobbler works in background and will not bother you with popup windows, dialog box messages etc.

xpatzex

« Reply #366 on: 7 Apr '07 - 10:31 »
looool sorry, thx for ur help, now it works hehe

yagood

« Reply #367 on: 15 Apr '07 - 09:23 »

Could you send me this CUE that you have problem with?

Frosty

« Reply #368 on: 27 Apr '07 - 10:19 »
hey guys

i've got another issue with the scrobbling of cue-mp3 files. since xmplay does not display the cue as a virtual playlist (winamp style) the only way to jump to another position is either to seek to another position or skip to it by right-clicking the 'next-track' button (which in the end is actually seeking). the problem of course is that once the plugin detects position-jumps while playing the file it simply resets itself without making any further scrobbling attempts. that seeking is not allowed is understandable, but isn't there a way to reactivate the scrobbler once the player detects that the mp3 has advanced to the position of the following track?
thing is, i'm using cue files quite often for house/electronic mix compilations as they ensure seamless-playback, but sometimes i like to jump couple of tracks ahead in the album - after all - one has this convenient cue at hand..
it would be great if the plugin would start to scrobble again so one would not have to lose hours of music listening "experience" ;)

hope there is a working solution for this problem..cuz its the only one with this otherwise smoothly working plugin.

cheers

frosty
« Last Edit: 27 Apr '07 - 10:25 by Frosty »

Zarggg

« Reply #369 on: 27 Apr '07 - 18:44 »
yagood will have to weigh in on this, but I think the "problem" you are describing is actually the way it should be, and is not the plugin's fault or responsibility.

This issue would need to be fixed with XMPlay itself so that it feeds the tracks to the plugin as separate "files", rather than a kludge being made within the plugin to achieve the same results. The reason Last.fm does not allow seeking is so that only files that are played to completion are recorded, so that data are consistent.

yagood

« Reply #370 on: 27 Apr '07 - 23:56 »
Well, short answer is - it should work just like Frosty described it and "CUE sheet support" means just that. So even though XMPlay doesn't separate tracks from CUE into what could be seen as individual songs for xmp-scrobbler, plug-in should submit every track from the CUE sheet. When xmp-scrobbler detects that currently played file contains CUE entries, it parses the information about it from XMPlay's Message window storing track tags and lengths for future use. That required quite a lot of messy code, but I (with great help from Aux) managed to make it work. Now, this code is quite experimental, I myself don't use CUEs that much, so I didn't even have anything to test it on. Like I said - it should work pretty much like in Frosty's description. So if the user just listens to whole CUE-enabled file from start to end - all songs (which are more than 30 seconds long) should be submitted. If the user skips some songs (using right click on Prev/Next buttons), plug-in should detect that. So basically it should work just like the regular playlist. If it doesn't submit some songs, please send me the log file contents and the CUE file if possible, then I'll test it and fix any bugs.

Zarggg

« Reply #371 on: 28 Apr '07 - 15:01 »
Kudos for trying to make it work, but I still think that should be Ian's issue to fix, rather than yours. Just trying to ease your workload a little. ;)

yagood

« Reply #372 on: 28 Apr '07 - 15:33 »
Kudos for trying to make it work, but I still think that should be Ian's issue to fix, rather than yours. Just trying to ease your workload a little. ;)

Yes, ultimately it would be nice to have CUE entries extracted into the playlist, but it's still on Ian's "to do" list while some users have requested CUEs to be supported in xmp-scrobbler. Fortunately, Aux has stepped up and contributed the CUE support implementation code, then all I had to do was minor code clean-up and now testing, so not that big workload as one might think. Although I admit that supporting CUE entries submission required implementing some rather dirty (and potentially buggy) techniques - extracting and parsing CUE sheet data, manually setting up timers to properly handle track lengths (XMPlay doesn't notify xmp-scrobbler when one CUE track ends and another begins), not to mention handling seeking within CUE file etc. I would love to remove all of this code in the future and enjoy native support for separate CUE tracks in XMPlay, but for now I can focus on fixing what is already implemented, so please report any problems in the form of log file and CUE sheet.

In general, two words on xmp-scrobbler's future. Obviously there is not much else to be implemented as this plug-in has to accomplish very simple task and it already does its job well as far as I can tell. Of course bug reports are always welcome :) Anyway, from technical point of view I would like to get rid of libcurl and use Windows API for handling network stuff - that would reduce DLL size probably to only 100-200 KB. Also there are a few things still on "to do" list:

- Exclude/Include Directories option - just like in Winamp plug-in - user can specify which directories to exclude from submitting or narrow submissions to some directories - that would eliminate possibility of some Britney Spears stuff being submitted accidentally to your profile while little brother/sister uses PC :)

- more diagnostic information being displayed - recently submitted tracks, cache size, cache contents, Last.fm server status etc. directly in Options window

- auto-update feature - integrated with XMPlay Support Site

Of course any feature request can be added to this list. Unfortunately, I don't have much free time these days, so development progress is rather slow. Any help is always appreciated, I'm willing to assist and explain plug-in code to some brave soul who decides to contribute :)

That's about it. Comments, suggestions etc. are welcome as always.

Zarggg

« Reply #373 on: 30 Apr '07 - 18:12 »
Either way, it sounds like you're very close to a v1.0 release. You've done an awesome job, and we're grateful you have even done this much. :)

KaMan

« Reply #374 on: 19 May '07 - 01:13 »
Hello all.

There's only one thing that keeps me from using xmplay constantly and it is the audioscrobbler feature :D
I installed the plug-in but I'm having some problems submitting the tracks correctly.

In the log file it says :

2007-05-19 01:34:03   [DEBUG] Submitting...
2007-05-19 01:34:03   [DEBUG] Submission failed: bad authorization.

But, of course, the login/password are correct. Actually, many tracks were submitted at the beginning and then it stopped working. :/
Any idea?

Also, I have this other line that shows after every track:

2007-05-19 01:52:45   [WARNING] No valid MusicBrainz ID found, consider using MusicBrainz taggers to tag this file properly!

What does it mean?

Thank you in advance for your help :)