Author Topic: XMPlay Last.fm/Audioscrobbler plugin (xmp-scrobbler)  (Read 539723 times)

Qaz

Is there any plans to upgrade this to the 1.2 protocol? The now playing info is pretty nice addition.

raina

How does that work, now playing?

Qaz

You can see your currently playing track on your profile page.
[img=http://kapsi.fi/~qaz/temp/nowplaying.jpg][/img]

As for technical aspect, see http://www.audioscrobbler.net/development/protocol/

Qaz

You can see your currently playing track on your profile page.
[img=http://kapsi.fi/~qaz/temp/nowplaying.jpg][/img]

As for technical aspect, see http://www.audioscrobbler.net/development/protocol/

Blah. Working URL for the screenshot is http://kapsi.fi/~qaz/temp/nowplaying.png

raina

Ah, simple me, like when you are listening to a last.fm station. Ok, a nice little touch, agreed.

electronic_punk

Well, the plugin doesn't work for me. It crashes xmplay after playing about half track.

1. Why seeking during playback is forbidden? Even official scrobbling rules allow seeking during playback, only minimum half of the track or 240 seconds must be fulfilled to scrobble.

2. Why does it show in logfile some advices about using musicbrainz tagging software? Perhaps it could be one of the reason for the plugin not working correctly. It should be really not important what is the source of tag, what matters is that tag should exist and that's all.

3. Is it possible to make scrobbler compatible with lastfm software?

Dotpitch

Well, the plugin doesn't work for me. It crashes xmplay after playing about half track.
Then it crashes during scrobbling. Try deleting xmp-scrobbler.cache, and enable debug logging to see where it crashes.
2. Why does it show in logfile some advices about using musicbrainz tagging software?
No, that is not the reason it's crashing. Messed up tags mean you won't be scrobbling properly, and Musicbrainz can avoid bad tagging.

electronic_punk

2008-07-23 21:26:07   [WARNING] No valid MusicBrainz ID found, consider using MusicBrainz taggers to tag this file properly!
2008-07-23 21:26:07   [DEBUG] XMP_FetchInfo -- end
2008-07-23 21:26:07   [DEBUG] len = 170, diff = 8
2008-07-23 21:26:07   [INFO] Current track: VNV Nation - Afterfire (Advance And Follow (V2))

I have a proper tag so I don't see the point of reminding me and suggesting what I should do with tag if it is really proper.

Honestly, I think that Winamp's autotagger is great option. It allows quick tagging without any other programs. Is it possible to make autotagger plugin for Winamp work with XMPlay?

Ok, I deleted cache. Perhaps there were too many files in cache, it was written it was going to submit 10 tracks, I think it was the moment of crash.

raina

It's just telling you the MB ID is missing, which would accurately identify an entry in the MB database. I don't know what the overall status is atm, but the apps I use don't yet support MB so I've chosen to ignore the warning for now. I understand Last.fm has been working towards MB integration but I don't know if MB IDs still are any more significant with the recent (messy) update.

Dotpitch

Perhaps there were too many files in cache, it was written it was going to submit 10 tracks, I think it was the moment of crash.
There's a bug that crashes the plugin if you have a lot of cache entries. The only way to get rid of it is delete you cache, presently.

Honestly, I think that Winamp's autotagger is great option. It allows quick tagging without any other programs. Is it possible to make autotagger plugin for Winamp work with XMPlay?
Winamps autotagger is based on Gracenote, which uses audio fingerprints very much like Musicbrainz does. XMPlays current plugin system cannot handle this plugin, and as a player it doesn't really need to either.

electronic_punk

Perhaps quite new tagging system can be made for XMPlay. It could be very useful in my opinion, sometimes files from net don't have tags or are badly tagged, with mistakes. Few clicks and tracks would be properly tagged, this would be nice option for me, all in player, without outer programs.

Original lastfm software corrects some tags in which there are small mistakes, for example if there is Prodigy - Fire Starter, lastfm scrobble it as Prodigy - Firestarter. If there is Pordigy - Frestarter, situation looks the same way. I wonder what about this plugin.

After cache cleaning the plugin seems to work fine :D

I think the first thing to be done is to not stop scrobbling after seeking during playback.

raina

Hmm.. I wonder what's wrong here, the Demovibes Live MP3 and CUE files (available at http://www.demovibes.org/dvlive.htm ) seem to work OK in XMPlay but the only entry in xmp-scrobbler.txt when/after playing the set is

Code: [Select]
2008-07-24 11:25:05 [INFO] CUE sheet found, current file contains 17 track(s)

That is UNLESS I start skipping subsongs, which normally results in "Haha, you seeked, you fail at scrobbling." So it seems the file is unwilling to scrobble when it's played from the very start. Skipping between subsongs 2 and 3 wrote new entries to the log and letting 2 turn into 3 (and into 4) on its own seems to work too.

Zarggg

Perhaps quite new tagging system can be made for XMPlay. It could be very useful in my opinion, sometimes files from net don't have tags or are badly tagged, with mistakes. Few clicks and tracks would be properly tagged, this would be nice option for me, all in player, without outer programs.

There are those of us here who would argue this function has no place in a player program; we just want the player to play, not tag. The rudimentary tagging functions XMPlay already supports are just fine for "correcting" tags (vis a vie, the Library), but if you need to retag (or add tags in the first place) many files, a dedicated tagging program is a much better option.

Original lastfm software corrects some tags in which there are small mistakes, for example if there is Prodigy - Fire Starter, lastfm scrobble it as Prodigy - Firestarter. If there is Pordigy - Frestarter, situation looks the same way. I wonder what about this plugin.

This is not done by the software; it is done by the website itself. In your example, AudioScrobbler sends "Pordigy - Fire Starter" to Last.fm, then Last.fm says "No, this track is really 'Prodigy - Firestarter'."

Also, regarding MusicBrainz and "proper tags", that "warning" is only that -- a warning notice (not an error; in programming, "warning" just means "fyi, this might cause problems") that the MusicBrainz PUID is not found in the file's sags. Last.fm uses the MusicBrainz database, so if it finds a proper PUID, it can immediately associate that track with the database on the site.
« Last Edit: 24 Jul '08 - 17:22 by Zarggg »

raina

Hmm.. I wonder what's wrong here, [...] it seems the file is unwilling to scrobble when it's played from the very start. Skipping between subsongs 2 and 3 wrote new entries to the log and letting 2 turn into 3 (and into 4) on its own seems to work too.

Got it working by adding a missing album PERFORMER line to the very start of the .cue file. This PERFORMER doesn't even get scrobbled since every track has its own PERFORMER line.

Y@nekŪ

My XMPlay crash exactly when audioscrobbler trying submit track to last.fm.
Problem exist only when plugin is enabled. Maybe something was changed in last.fm server?

I have XMPlay 3.4.2.59 and Audioscrobbler 0.8. Everything was fine 9 hours ago. Nothing was changed in my computer from this time.

This is log:

2008-08-16 00:33:26   [DEBUG] DSP_SetFormat( 1, NULL )
2008-08-16 00:33:26   [DEBUG] DSP_StopTrack
2008-08-16 00:33:26   [INFO] Track stopped
2008-08-16 00:33:26   [DEBUG] DSP_NewTrack (CLOSE)
2008-08-16 00:33:26   [DEBUG] DSP_NewTrack (OPEN)
2008-08-16 00:33:26   [DEBUG] DSP_SetFormat( 1, 96000, 2 )
2008-08-16 00:33:32   [DEBUG] XMP_FetchInfo -- start
2008-08-16 00:33:32   [WARNING] No valid MusicBrainz ID found, consider using MusicBrainz taggers to tag this file properly!
2008-08-16 00:33:32   [DEBUG] XMP_FetchInfo -- end
2008-08-16 00:33:32   [DEBUG] len = 137, diff = 6
2008-08-16 00:33:32   [INFO] Current track: Khan - Our Way Home (Soul Edge Original Soundtrack - Khan Super Session)
2008-08-16 00:33:32   [INFO] Submitting in 131 seconds...
2008-08-16 00:35:42   [DEBUG] DSP_Process -- sec <= 0
2008-08-16 00:35:42   [DEBUG] XMP_SubmitProc start
2008-08-16 00:35:42   [DEBUG] Resizing cache array - new length: 22
2008-08-16 00:35:42   [DEBUG] AddTrack (cache_size = 12, tracks_size = 22)
2008-08-16 00:35:42   [INFO] Track added to the cache for submission
2008-08-16 00:35:42   [INFO] Preparing to submit 10 track(s) from the cache
2008-08-16 00:35:47   ----
2008-08-16 00:35:47   [INFO] Hello, this is xmp-scrobbler 0.8
2008-08-16 00:35:49   [INFO] Number of entries in the cache: 12
2008-08-16 00:35:49   [INFO] Handshake with Last.fm server successful!
2008-08-16 00:35:55   [WARNING] No valid MusicBrainz ID found, consider using MusicBrainz taggers to tag this file properly!
2008-08-16 00:35:55   [INFO] Current track: Khan - A Continental Gale (Soul Edge Original Soundtrack - Khan Super Session)
My last.fm: http://last.fm/user/nti

raina

Sounds like the cache got corrupted. Delete the file and it should work again. Unfortunately, but naturally, the songs that were in the cache won't get scrobbled.

Y@nekŪ

Still the same problem :(

raina

It works here. :/

Dotpitch

Still the same problem
And what if you remove xmp-scrobbler from the DSP-list, restart XMPlay and add it again?

amit

I stopped using the plugin a while ago. It kept on crashing xmplay .Eventually I lost my patience and turned it off.

Y@nekŪ

Still the same problem
And what if you remove xmp-scrobbler from the DSP-list, restart XMPlay and add it again?

If i will uncheck [ ] Enable Audioscrobbler plugin and click OK - XMPlay not crash.

Dotpitch

If i will uncheck [ ] Enable Audioscrobbler plugin and click OK - XMPlay not crash.
Obviously it doesn't crash then, that's because it's disabled. That's not what I was talking about. Go to DSP > Plugins, select xmp-scrobbler, click Remove, close XMPlay, delete xmp-scrobbler.cach, start XMPlay, add xmp-scrobbler, give it you username and password and play a file. Does it crash then?

route66

massive damnage, same crashing problem here.. =(

Zarggg

Just to confirm, it is crashing after the xmp-scrobbler.cache file has been deleted?

amit

Ian has just solved the last issue with INFO tag support for wav files. Is it possible to add support for such tags in the audioscrobbler plugin?

Thank you.

(btw I followed Dotpitch advice and xmplay doesn't cransh with the plugin anymore)