Author Topic: [SKIN] WMP10  (Read 77275 times)

Helpermonkey

Re: WMP10 Skin WIP
« Reply #25 on: 24 Apr '06 - 15:30 »
Y@nekŪ: You've made the same posts in the past. You always "want" better skins and you ask for oldschool designs, maximum usability, small and clear designs.

The picture you posted reminds me very much on the typical Winamp v2.x skin layout. The position of the main navigation buttons is given and remains often the same. To many people this is annoying. You like plastic. That's fine. Please understand that others may not like it and that is why there are different types of skins. The big plus of XMPlay is, that you are not limited to any fixed button position.

Speaking for myself I didn't like most of the skins existing for XMPlay. That's why I created one which fits all my needs. I suggest you do the same and show us your masterpiece.

Rah'Dick

• XMPlay Support
« Reply #26 on: 24 Apr '06 - 16:24 »
I agree on Helpermonkey's post.

Actually, I don't make skins because I want to please the community but I make skins primarily for me and myself. It's just a bonus that some people seem to like the stuff I made. This also applies to the new support site (a bit at least) - I always wanted to have a site at which I just can look up and use stuff for whatever task I might have to accomplish. And of course to give people more of a clue about XMPlay, so they don't clutter up the forum with questions to most of which the answer would be "RTFM". :P

I'm quite busy with annoying stuff for the university at the moment, so please excuse my little rant.
« Last Edit: 24 Apr '06 - 16:28 by Rah'Dick »

Y@nekŪ

« Reply #27 on: 24 Apr '06 - 16:35 »
"I suggest you do the same and show us your masterpiece."

I think about this, but this is not so easy :( I can make many designs of skin but I can't make from this pictures a skin. I think that many peoples have this same problem - practicaly no skins for XMPlay in Internet.

Y@nekŪ

« Reply #28 on: 24 Apr '06 - 16:40 »

I'm quite busy with annoying stuff for the university at the moment, so please excuse my little rant.

:) I am waiting for variations of Plastic skin :)

Dotpitch

« Reply #29 on: 24 Apr '06 - 17:27 »
Man, get a grip... there are lots of skins available and you can always make your own skin if you're picky about what you want/need and what not. Furthermore, there are people like Maserati, who publish the progress of their skin to see want other people miss in it, so it becomes a useable skin. Plenty of choice I'd say ;).

WMP is probably one of the most-used players (since it's included in practically every Windows installation ;)), and it has a practical default skin. Now with the engine of XMPlay underneath, it can hardly get any better ;D. Looking forward to the actual release :).

Brian

« Reply #30 on: 25 Apr '06 - 10:04 »
I must say that unfortunately there still isn't an XMPlay skin that I'm sufficientlly happy with to use it all the time. I'd especially like to see a highly finished metal & glass medium-size rectangular skin, with dark olive green as the predominant colour. I'm quite good at customising skin colours to my liking if the author is kind enough to provide the source and permission, but designing my own skin from scratch would be beyond me.
« Last Edit: 25 Apr '06 - 20:46 by Brian »

Torkell

« Reply #31 on: 25 Apr '06 - 19:47 »
Meh. I'm happy with Flatline for the most part - it does exactly what I want it to and I think there's only one thing I want to change about it (the relative positions of mini-mode and normal mode). I usually have it in the top-right corner in mini-mode, about 40-50px out from the right (the width of the taskbar - yes I have my taskbar on the right of the screen). When I want something a bit larger to work with, I tend to use one of Graphite, X-RD2506 or Windows Classic.

Maserati

« Reply #32 on: 27 Apr '06 - 21:45 »
I've done some more work on the skin...

The main_panel width was reduced a little and the playlist is more 'wmp' like.
[old screenshot removed]

To Do:
Add some buttons to the ext.playlist/library
Add "Total time / count" - any ideas on where to put this?  :P
Add Random Button
Add Equalizer Panel
Improve level.bmp
I don't understand what the que feature is, so i haven't added it yet.  ???

btw along the top: the XMP logo is the options button and the 'down-arrow' is the info_panel.
« Last Edit: 8 Jun '06 - 22:47 by Maserati »

Rah'Dick

• XMPlay Support
« Reply #33 on: 28 Apr '06 - 00:18 »
You can put the "total time/count" into the upper right of the window, right next to the title... If you want to sacrifice some title space.

Maserati

« Reply #34 on: 28 Apr '06 - 01:07 »
I played alot with the title area, but i wanted to keep the look as simple and accurate as possible. ty though.

i updated the screenshot: "total time / count" is in the bottom right of the playlist, just as it is in wmp10. :)
This way looks the best imho.  I also made a volume_knob for better accuracy.
« Last Edit: 28 Apr '06 - 01:09 by Maserati »

piovrauz

« Reply #35 on: 28 Apr '06 - 07:54 »
Maybe you should make a "new" button for the info_panel, using the 'down-arrow' may be a little confusing...

But this will brobably be the first "big" skin that I will use, along with is great minimode!

Keep up with the good work!
« Last Edit: 28 Apr '06 - 14:58 by piovrauz »

raina

« Reply #36 on: 28 Apr '06 - 09:17 »
An "i" would work great in place of the arrow thing.

markcs

« Reply #37 on: 10 May '06 - 06:04 »
Any updates on your WMP skin Maserati??  :)

Maserati

« Reply #38 on: 10 May '06 - 19:14 »
this weekend/ next week.  finishing up the semester first.  skinning takes hours.  ;)

Maserati

« Reply #39 on: 17 May '06 - 08:37 »
almost done. ty for your patience  ;)
(removed old screenshot)
« Last Edit: 17 May '06 - 17:48 by Maserati »

raina

« Reply #40 on: 17 May '06 - 09:58 »
Ouch with the Windows icons! Otherwise it looks superb but the + and x icons hurt and the buttons they're on seem a bit heavyish.

Rah'Dick

• XMPlay Support
« Reply #41 on: 17 May '06 - 12:06 »
I agree on that. The button shading is a bit heavy... And the icons don't fit there, somehow...

Maserati

« Reply #42 on: 17 May '06 - 16:45 »
well the + icon is very close to the true wmp10 "Add to Now Playing List", but i don't mind removing it if you think its gaudy or whatever.  :)

pic without shading (edits: changed mark_play.bmp and mark_queue.bmp)
« Last Edit: 17 May '06 - 17:39 by Maserati »

Rah'Dick

• XMPlay Support
« Reply #43 on: 17 May '06 - 17:02 »
Now that looks a lot better already. The icons don't look so out-of-place anymore, either.

Maserati

« Reply #44 on: 29 May '06 - 03:06 »
i havent done much with it lately.  All thats left is the equalizer panel.
I think I will have to make it open out on one of the sides.

Anyone want to voice which way it should open?  Left/Right/Up/Down ?

lingenfr

« Reply #45 on: 29 May '06 - 14:09 »
If there is no issue of matching WMP10, my suggestion would be left as that seems to be common among the skins.

Maserati

« Reply #46 on: 8 Jun '06 - 16:44 »
Here are some new previews, after messing with the output panel a lot, its back where I wanted it originally :)

updated

- 'Eq' grabber has subtler background and pic.
- on/off added for equalizer and reverb and autoload settings.  Its tight.
- misc minor color changes
- knob_volume.bmp greatly improved.

« Last Edit: 9 Jun '06 - 06:47 by Maserati »

Lashiec

« Reply #47 on: 8 Jun '06 - 17:35 »
If you left the XMPlay text behind, you could also change the icon (if you can) to something matching the whole skin better... maybe replacing it with the tray icon minimizer symbol, which seems to be the first one. Apart from that, the skin is very nice, more if you fill the playlist with a soundtrack like that  ;)

Maserati

« Reply #48 on: 8 Jun '06 - 18:44 »
I know the icon isn't a perfect fit, but its close enough and I think it belongs there. 
So people can see it and know its XMPlay  8)  I think I will keep the text there as well.

Level.bmp is now multi-state and final I think.
Also fixed the scroller for the info window.
« Last Edit: 8 Jun '06 - 21:03 by Maserati »

Dotpitch

« Reply #49 on: 8 Jun '06 - 22:05 »
This skin looks awesome! Nice to see it's almost done :).
I just don't like that "Eq" hanging around in the bottom left corner ::). It's got to be somewhere, but IMHO it doesn't fit in with the rest of the playlist.
I'll defenitely download this skin when it's finished ;D.