Author Topic: A complicated problem with 2MIDI, please help!  (Read 5835 times)

Adir

Hello all,

I'm new here, and just d/led the 2MIDI converter - a great little program, but here is my problem:

I've an S3M file, which I want to convert. I want it to happen in such a way, that all the notes played by the same SAMPLE will be on the same MIDI channel. Of course, S3Ms don't support multi-sampled instruments, and so it happens that this S3M has 7 samples in it, all of whose notes I want to be converted to the SAME midi channel (since they all belong to the same instrument). I went through the painstaking process of assigning each sample a midi channel, and assigning those 7 samples the same midi channel (I also assigned all the drum samples to channel 10). But now, when I convert, the output midi barely has notes in it! I tried a few different settings with the "Channel" window (as both should have accumulative effect), but to no avail. Is there no simple way to bypass the "Channel" window assignment method, and use only the "Sample" window one? If not, what should I do in this case to get the results I want?

Please, I hope for an answer ASAP...

Thanks in advance!

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
Re: A complicated problem with 2MIDI, please help!
« Reply #1 on: 29 Apr '06 - 14:53 »
Please upload the S3M file and your 2MIDI config file, to get a better idea of what's happening...

ftp.un4seen.com/incoming/
« Last Edit: 29 Apr '06 - 14:59 by Ian @ un4seen »

Adir

« Reply #2 on: 5 May '06 - 13:12 »
Hello Ian,

Sorry about the delay in response... I've uploaded the files to that folder as you requested, using Explorer (I don't have any FTP program now) and I hope it worked.

Just to repeat what I want again: I need 2MIDI to output all the notes of the same sample to one midi channel. And as far as I've seen of how the program works, this isn't possible right now...

What I tried to do since my last post, is to turn off ALL channels in both channel assignment windows, and then turn on one midi channel related to a single sample. The problem seems to be that this sample is played on several channels, and it seems that the program can't take all those notes played on different channel (although they relate to the same SAMPLE), and output them on one midi channel. I do hope that I'm wrong....  :-\

Tsorovan

« Reply #3 on: 5 May '06 - 17:07 »
FWIW, I had better luck using ModPlug Tracker's Export to MIDI to output something that's even remotely clean-uppable in a sequencer... still pretty yucky output though.

Your best bet is probably cleaning up the S3M beforehand, or if you're musically savvy, just program the MIDI from scratch. I gave up on transferring my old XM demos and skeletons to MIDI by using converters and I'm presently doing it all by hand.

Edit: But maybe I just sucked at 2MIDI
« Last Edit: 5 May '06 - 21:04 by Tsorovan »

Adir

« Reply #4 on: 9 May '06 - 15:08 »
FWIW, I had better luck using ModPlug Tracker's Export to MIDI to output something that's even remotely clean-uppable in a sequencer... still pretty yucky output though.

Your best bet is probably cleaning up the S3M beforehand, or if you're musically savvy, just program the MIDI from scratch. I gave up on transferring my old XM demos and skeletons to MIDI by using converters and I'm presently doing it all by hand.

Edit: But maybe I just sucked at 2MIDI

Tsorovan, does your edit mean that you have found a proper way to do it with 2MIDI?? If so, please share...

And Ian, what about you? No response from you yet...  ???

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 12 May '06 - 15:20 »
Sorry, I've been very busy, and just haven't had time to look at this. I've had a look now... if I understand correctly, you want the 7 guitar samples to share the same channel? The problem with doing that is that although they may be the same instrument, they are not the same sample, so it won't sound right (there can only be one instrument/sample used at a time on a single MIDI channel). Also, as the green VOL/PAN/FREQ/OFFSET lights indicate, these samples have various effects used which prevents them sharing a channel (again, each MIDI channel has a single volume/pan/etc setting).

Whatever you do, I don't think restricting the channel assignments will help - you can simply leave them all on. 2MIDI will automatically share channels when possible (with SHARE CHANNELS option enabled).