Author Topic: Extracting xm's from EXE (XM-EXE question)  (Read 9113 times)

El_Guapo

Extracting xm's from EXE (XM-EXE question)
« on: 22 Aug '06 - 15:44 »
I made a collection of xm's into an exe using the XM-EXE way back. The problem is, that the version of xm-exe was win95-compatible, so winxp doesn't seem to like it. ("not a valid win32 application" or something) Is there any way of picking out the xm's from the exe-file?

Dotpitch

Re: Extracting xm's from EXE (XM-EXE question)
« Reply #1 on: 22 Aug '06 - 17:09 »
According to the manual, running the exe with -e as commandline options will extract the original xm. Provided that it works, obviously. Try running it in compatibility mode.

El_Guapo

« Reply #2 on: 22 Aug '06 - 20:05 »
Compability-mode doesn't work. Tried win95&98

The manual leaves me puzzled though, since its more than one xm in the exe-file.
I cant really remember the actual names of the xm's, which seems to be needed
for usage of the -t switch. (-e seems to be if there's only one xm in the file)
I'm pretty slow with computers, and has figured these songs to be lost forever.

XM-EXE tells me -e and -t is an unknown option

>>> -e     Extract the original XM file
>>>         Multi-XM: select the track with the "-t" option.

What's the proper usage?
« Last Edit: 22 Aug '06 - 20:29 by El_Guapo »

Dotpitch

« Reply #3 on: 22 Aug '06 - 20:29 »
First thing you should do, is get the exe with the xm's inside running on a pc. Then you launch a commandprompt (or the Windows Run dialog, if you prefer that), and you execute that exe:
Code: [Select]
%file%.exe -e -t %tracknumber%in which you replace %file% by the filename and %tracknumber% by the number of the track you want to extract. I've just tried it, works fine over here. And btw, the compression program has no -e option, it's the player that has it.
Also, the changelog mentions there was a problem on Windows NT with previous versions, so if the compatibility mode (rightclick the exe, compatibility tab, select the OS it does work on) doesn't work properly, you should find yourself a pc with win95/98/ME.

El_Guapo

« Reply #4 on: 22 Aug '06 - 20:35 »
I'm afraid it is loss then. Because compability-mode isn't working, and the exe containing the files can't be run at all.
Guess I'll have to look around for a win95 compu :)

But thanks a lot for the help

Torkell

« Reply #5 on: 22 Aug '06 - 23:39 »
You can still play them with XMPlay, using the xm-exe decompressor (see the support site for XMPlay).

El_Guapo

« Reply #6 on: 23 Aug '06 - 11:39 »
You can still play them with XMPlay, using the xm-exe decompressor (see the support site for XMPlay).
That would been true, if it (the exe) wasn't as old as it is. That decompressor supports xm-exe 1.5-1.6. Mine is earlier than that.

Alexsource

« Reply #7 on: 24 Aug '06 - 17:00 »
You can use a virtualization program like virtualpc, vmware or quemu. You make a virtual machine with a virtual hard disk, and you install an old windows on it, then you move the .exe to the virtual machine, run it there, and then move the extracted tracks out.
Of course, you need a windows 9x installation cd. The process is pretty much the same as installing windows on a brand-new hard disk that needs to be formated, i'm told.

El_Guapo

« Reply #8 on: 25 Aug '06 - 19:54 »
Oh christ, that sounded like a lot of work for a couple of half-assed xm's.
Still appreciate the effort in helping out though. Not sure I have the energy to do
just that, but thanks!

Isn't there anyone reading this thread that has access to win95, that could extract them for me?
It would be extremely appreciated!

Dotpitch

« Reply #9 on: 25 Aug '06 - 23:28 »
Nope, but I do have a 98SE ;). Just zip/rar them and send them to me, or use You Send It if it's too large.

El_Guapo

« Reply #10 on: 26 Aug '06 - 17:47 »
Nope, but I do have a 98SE ;). Just zip/rar them and send them to me, or use You Send It if it's too large.

Thanks a lot for the help!!!
There's an evil little mail waiting for you :)

Dotpitch

« Reply #11 on: 27 Aug '06 - 09:05 »
You've got mail ;).