Author Topic: XMPlay AHX/HivelyTracker plugin  (Read 96302 times)

Fraggie

XMPlay AHX/HivelyTracker plugin
« on: 17 Jan '07 - 15:36 »
Here's a plugin for AHX, AHX 2.0 and HVL (HivelyTracker) tunes.

What is AHX?
AHX is a protracker-like music editor created in the mid '90s by Dexter and Pink of Abyss. It was designed especially to create C64-like synthetic tunes. There is no support for sampled instruments as chip tunes are made to be as small in size as possible. So an average AHX tune has a length of about 200 bytes - 5 kbytes (unpacked). All waveforms of the C64 are supported: Triangle, Sawtooth, Square and White Noise. Also Hi-/Lo-Pass filtering effects are supported.
(Taken from AHX webpage - http://amigascne.org/abyss/ahx/.)

What is HivelyTracker?
Hively Tracker is a tracker program based upon the AHX format, created by Xeron/IRIS. HivelyTracker can import and export modules and instruments in the AHX format, but it also improves on AHX in several ways and therefore has its own instrument and module formats. HivelyTracker offers the following features over AHX: multichannel (4 to 16 channels), per-channel stereo panning, two commands per note instead of one, ring modulation and a more feature rich editor.
(Taken from HivelyTracker webpage - http://www.hivelytracker.com.)

Plugin features:
  • balls-on playback based on HivelyTracker replay code by Peter Gordon
    all effects, filters, AHX quirks etc. are 100% supported
  • surround sound, interpolation and volume ramping for best sound quailty
  • song play time and looping detection
  • time-based seeking
  • sample texts and other info displayed
  • pattern viewer and dot-mode visualisations
  • takes advance of XMPlay 3.4 enhanced API

You can get this plugin here:
https://ssz.bitbucket.io

Songs can be found here:
ftp://modland.com/pub/modules/AHX/
ftp://modland.com/pub/modules/HivelyTracker/
http://m0d.untergrund.net/
« Last Edit: 26 Sep '16 - 14:00 by Fraggie »

Fraggie

Re: XMPlay AHX/HivelyTracker plugin
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jan '07 - 10:10 »
Beta2 available with following changes:
 - song length calculator fixed
 - subsongs switching fixed
 - added info if song is looped or not

http://dhost.info/pieknyman/download.html

raina

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jan '07 - 11:11 »
The family of bestest XMPlay plugins grows again!

There are some very nice new AHX songs here: http://m0d.untergrund.net/
All the tracks are offered as MP3s as well so you can make your own comparisons.

I told m0d himself about this plugin and he said he liked the instrument text display but also that there are some inaccuracies in the replay, mainly with filters and when bugs of the original AHX tracker are exploited to create new sounds. But they're obviously flaws in the replayers, not the plugin. Apparently there are some fixes available to the old WinAHX source code at http://dbfinteractive.com/index.php?topic=990.0.

Also, the overall sound volume seems a little low compared to streams and even modules.

Good work so far!

Fraggie

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jan '07 - 11:38 »
There are some very nice new AHX songs here: http://m0d.untergrund.net/
Yeah, very nice! Very nice pies. ;)

I told m0d himself about this plugin and he said he liked the instrument text display but also that there are some inaccuracies in the replay, mainly with filters and when bugs of the original AHX tracker are exploited to create new sounds. But they're obviously flaws in the replayers, not the plugin.
The filters should've been corrected with HivelyTracker 1.2, which this plugin is based on. Anyways, I would like to hear about these inaccuracies in detail. I believe Xeron would like too.

Apparently there are some fixes available to the old WinAHX source code at http://dbfinteractive.com/index.php?topic=990.0.
I'm sorry. I've read all the posts twice and I didn't find a single link... Maybe I need to register to see the attachments...ftp://

Also, the overall sound volume seems a little low compared to streams and even modules.
Hmm... I does sound a little bit quiet indeed... :)
« Last Edit: 18 Jan '07 - 11:52 by Fraggie »

raina

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jan '07 - 12:35 »
The filters should've been corrected with HivelyTracker 1.2, which this plugin is based on. Anyways, I would like to hear about these inaccuracies in detail. I believe Xeron would like too.

Hmm, so it's using the Hively replay for AHX too? Why are the AHX replays mentioned in the About box?

Quote from: #MilkyTracker @ EsperNet
11:45   <redheat> man its really making one of my tracks blow though
11:46   <redheat> pienataur
11:46   <redheat> play the mp3 then the ahx
11:46   <raina> ok
11:46   <redheat> it gets the filtering wrong - and it sounds interpolated
---
12:26   <redheat> damn, ths plugin gets the filters totoally wrong on the lead in Children of the Pie
12:26   <redheat> its supposed to be a lovely soft sound
12:27   <redheat> this is really quite dissapointing, i hope there will be a willingness to fixifie this burnt pie
12:29   <redheat> it completely misses an entire lead section out at 1:00 onwards!
---
14:24   <redheat> unlike the xmp-plugin, deliplayer gets the lead instrument in `happie happie pie` correct
14:24   <redheat> the 'bling' on the beginning of the instrument is too long in the xmp-plug

I'm sorry. I've read all the posts twice and I didn't find a single link... Maybe I need to register to see the attachments...ftp://

That could be it, it seems they're using SMF too. m0d  uploaded the stuff here: ftp://m0d.untergrund.net/users/m0d/utils/AHX.zip, but..

14:14   <redheat> unfortunatly that ahx player i linked to is still far from perfect
14:15   <redheat> but at least it addresses a few key issues that caused the winahx original source compiled bins to crash

EDIT:

14:44   <redheat> Can i correct the part about the bling in happie.xxxx... the problem seems to be the filter aswell, not the length
« Last Edit: 18 Jan '07 - 12:47 by raina »

Fraggie

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jan '07 - 13:09 »
Hmm, so it's using the Hively replay for AHX too? Why are the AHX replays mentioned in the About box?
Because Hively is based on WinAHX. ;D

That could be it, it seems they're using SMF too. m0d  uploaded the stuff here: ftp://m0d.untergrund.net/users/m0d/utils/AHX.zip, but..
This version has only a few crash fixes, so no cookie. XMP-AHX is crash-free as far as I've tested. :)
« Last Edit: 18 Jan '07 - 13:22 by Fraggie »

Knurek

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jan '07 - 15:29 »
Klisje paa Klisje.ahx is fucked up almost beyond recognition (all lead samples don't play).
Also, any hope for fade-outs, as with xmp-sid?

Fraggie

« Reply #7 on: 18 Jan '07 - 16:46 »
I believe I've fixed the filtering. But I don't have a clue why it's loosing those samples... For now. There must be another major issue behind this.

redheat

« Reply #8 on: 19 Jan '07 - 07:58 »
I believe I've fixed the filtering. But I don't have a clue why it's loosing those samples... For now. There must be another major issue behind this.

Any chance you will be posting up a beta with the filter fix for me to test? :)

Fraggie

« Reply #9 on: 19 Jan '07 - 11:35 »
changes in beta3:
 - fix for filters
 - fix for missing lead instruments
 - weaker surround effect
 - a little bit louder playback :)

I think your songs sound pretty good now, m0d. What do you think?
« Last Edit: 19 Jan '07 - 12:06 by Fraggie »

redheat

« Reply #10 on: 19 Jan '07 - 12:00 »
changes in beta3:
 - fix for filters
 - fix for missing lead instruments
 - a little bit louder playback :)

I think your songs sound pretty good now, m0d. What do you think?

:D The filter issue sounds like it's been cleaned up perfectly. I see you're also participating on the Hively forum :) It's weird coincidence, your name... pie-knyman hehehe. Thanks for the work to fix the filter :)

Fraggie

« Reply #11 on: 19 Jan '07 - 12:04 »
Beta3 has been updated just a while ago with a little weaker surround effect. It sounds better now.

:D The filter issue sounds like it's been cleaned up perfectly. I see you're also participating on the Hively forum :) It's weird coincidence, your name... pie-knyman hehehe. Thanks for the work to fix the filter :)
We all like pies I suppose. ;D  (Greetings to Oskar.)

Thanks for help (and the lava burnt pie).
« Last Edit: 19 Jan '07 - 12:33 by Fraggie »

redheat

« Reply #12 on: 19 Jan '07 - 15:14 »
Something else came up:

<raina> redheat, does m0d_-_meowmeowmeow.ahx make xmplay crash for you?
<redheat> raina, checking
<redheat> yes
<raina> redheat, it crashes here except when xmplay is closed, and I click on the ahx file
<redheat> it crashes when i drag it on xmplay
<raina> what about other methods of opening the file?
<redheat> using file requester it crashes still
<redheat> 10003DAD   movzx       edi,byte ptr [edi+ebp]
<redheat> thats where it crashes
<raina> redheat, 01C23DBE  movsx       edi,byte ptr [edi+ebp+10h]  here :D

:o
« Last Edit: 19 Jan '07 - 15:16 by redheat »

Fraggie

« Reply #13 on: 19 Jan '07 - 16:09 »
It doesn't want to crash here... But I see the plugin has trouble figuring out the duration of subsongs 2, 3 i 4. It gives different values each time. :D

redheat

« Reply #14 on: 19 Jan '07 - 19:51 »
It doesn't want to crash here... But I see the plugin has trouble figuring out the duration of subsongs 2, 3 i 4. It gives different values each time. :D

How odd, i don't remember making any subsongs in that one (i don't know how yet  :-X)

arfy

« Reply #15 on: 20 Jan '07 - 03:16 »
Hi there, fantastic! All the original bugs I found in the delix plugin are gone now. :)
But, as always, old bugs gone, new ones pop up. :( So here's what I've found.
Check out these files at http://tbrn.net/arfy/test.zip
There seems to be a missing command in the replayer, as certain files seem to lose their echo effects, and instead have very muddied leads or arpeggio lines. You'll here what I mean if you compare with deliplayer or the delix plugin, both of which played the files here correctly. Also the plug seems to have trouble with ahx.holla2, where it only plays the first second or so of the effect.

Keep the good work up.

Fraggie

« Reply #16 on: 20 Jan '07 - 10:29 »
Oops, I turned off TrackVolume command by mistake... It's fixed for the next release.

Fraggie

« Reply #17 on: 20 Jan '07 - 11:06 »
How odd, i don't remember making any subsongs in that one (i don't know how yet  :-X)

You have created four subsongs, three at position 100, while the file has only 60 positions! I have no idea how did you manage to do that, as the AHX editor 2.3 doesn't allow this. :D It's sorted for the next release of the plugin, anyways...

redheat

« Reply #18 on: 20 Jan '07 - 13:55 »

You have created four subsongs, three at position 100, while the file has only 60 positions! I have no idea how did you manage to do that, as the AHX editor 2.3 doesn't allow this. :D It's sorted for the next release of the plugin, anyways...

??? Hmmm. A theory: maybe caused by the way I opened a song of someone else, cleared it's POS and TRACK data (leaving insturments intact), added a few more instruments and then composed the tune and saved it without optimization - I made the tune within an hour (very early on in my composing stage) so quick and dirty was the fastest - i now suspect the subsongs were already preset in the file and didn't get cleared when i cleared all of the POS's.  ::)

« Reply #19 on: 20 Jan '07 - 16:40 »
Lines with some chars like are displayed incorrectly in sample list.

Fraggie

« Reply #20 on: 20 Jan '07 - 17:46 »
Lines with some chars like are displayed incorrectly in sample list.
Sorted for next revision.

Fraggie

« Reply #21 on: 22 Jan '07 - 09:38 »
Beta4 is now available.
Changes to previous version include:
 - track and global volume commands fixed
 - invalid subsongs loading fixed
 - displaying funny charaters in sample names fixed

redheat

« Reply #22 on: 22 Jan '07 - 10:00 »
Yay! :) Awesome.   8)

A note to those who have been following the progress of this plugin. Downloading this plugin via proxyservers can lead to some confusing situations where the file you keep getting is a cached old version, so keep an eye on the version in the about box in the plugin options submenu, because the name of this file is the same every time you download the stupid caching proxy servers kept on giving me the last version I downloaded, so just keep an eye on that   :-\

Edit:
Btw I've found another replayer bug :( I'll PM you this one thought because it involves a song for a pending music disk release.  Can you let me know if you received the PM, I have sent it already. Didn't show up in my outbox though.

« Last Edit: 22 Jan '07 - 10:08 by redheat »

Fraggie

« Reply #23 on: 22 Jan '07 - 12:46 »
I've PM-ed you a solution for the problem, redheat.

redheat

« Reply #24 on: 22 Jan '07 - 22:53 »
Fantastic! Really good!