Author Topic: 3.4 reports, queries and bugs  (Read 358082 times)

Nick_NSK

Re: 3.4 reports, queries and bugs
« Reply #150 on: 25 Apr '07 - 08:47 »
Hello Ian ,

I found the bug with Net streaming:
when sample rate is changed (one song 44100 and the next 48000)
the XMPlay begin to perform buffering in loop (from 0% to 100%)
and don`t play!

Thanks for nice player

Cosworth

« Reply #151 on: 26 Apr '07 - 10:11 »
Are you possibly drag'n'dropping from some special file manager, not Explorer? If so, maybe that is passing the directory contents to XMPlay (instead of the directory itself), and so the "ignore playlists" option isn't coming into play.

I have this problem too. When I drag'n'dropping music, I don't use file manager. Previous versions of XMPlay don't have this problem.
« Last Edit: 26 Apr '07 - 10:14 by Cosworth »

amit

« Reply #152 on: 26 Apr '07 - 13:10 »
When using ASIO output , the sound sometimes stutters. It happens when certain vis are working or even in (long) playlist scroll. I know it is possible to lengthen the buffer of my ASIO driver even more than I already did but I have seen another solution in other applications. In other players' ASIO plugin there is an option to give higher priority to the plugin process.

Isn't it a good idea to implement it also in xmplay plugin?

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #153 on: 26 Apr '07 - 16:05 »
I found the bug with Net streaming:
when sample rate is changed (one song 44100 and the next 48000)
the XMPlay begin to perform buffering in loop (from 0% to 100%)
and don`t play!

In that situation, I'm afraid you will have to reconnect. Netradio stream shouldn't change sample rate mid-stream.

Are you possibly drag'n'dropping from some special file manager, not Explorer? If so, maybe that is passing the directory contents to XMPlay (instead of the directory itself), and so the "ignore playlists" option isn't coming into play.

I have this problem too. When I drag'n'dropping music, I don't use file manager. Previous versions of XMPlay don't have this problem.

I can't reproduce the problem here, so I'm not really sure what it could be. Does it also happen there when using the built-on "Open/Add directory" options, or when using the folder context menu options (see Integration options) in Explorer?

When using ASIO output , the sound sometimes stutters. It happens when certain vis are working or even in (long) playlist scroll. I know it is possible to lengthen the buffer of my ASIO driver even more than I already did but I have seen another solution in other applications. In other players' ASIO plugin there is an option to give higher priority to the plugin process.

Isn't it a good idea to implement it also in xmplay plugin?

XMPlay's decoding thread and the ASIO thread already run at the highest priority, but here's an updated plugin that'll automatically use a larger ASIO buffer than chosen (up to 50ms) when possible...

www.un4seen.com/stuff/xmp-asio.dll

Tsorovan

« Reply #154 on: 26 Apr '07 - 18:06 »
When running heavy low-latency ASIO apps (XMPlay isn't that heavy so this might not apply), it's recommended to optimise processor scheduling for background services as opposed to programs. You can find this setting in system properties -> advanced -> performance options -> advanced.

Might help if you have a slowish computer. I'm no expert on what this actually does behind the scenes though.

amit

« Reply #155 on: 26 Apr '07 - 19:16 »
XMPlay's decoding thread and the ASIO thread already run at the highest priority, but here's an updated plugin that'll automatically use a larger ASIO buffer than chosen (up to 50ms) when possible...

thanks, It seems to be working better now.

About a different subject ...
I tried earlier today for the first time the folders monitoring. I added two folders and didn't pay any more attention to it.
After a few hours I looked at the library and saw all the age counts had been reset. Is this correct and intentional?

Cosworth

« Reply #156 on: 26 Apr '07 - 22:52 »
I can't reproduce the problem here, so I'm not really sure what it could be. Does it also happen there when using the built-on "Open/Add directory" options, or when using the folder context menu options (see Integration options) in Explorer?
It happens in both events.

piovrauz

« Reply #157 on: 27 Apr '07 - 12:26 »
mmm, I recall someone asked about this already: when MOD sorround mode is changed via keyboard shortcut, "info bubbles" doesn't inform about if and what sorround mode (1 or 2) is selected. It'll be good to have this info, cause some skins don't have the MOD sorround button, namely: the ones I use... ;)

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #158 on: 27 Apr '07 - 16:47 »

thanks, It seems to be working better now.

Jolly good. The updated ASIO plugin (rev.2) is now up on the XMPlay page.

For Vista users, a WASAPI output plugin is also up now.

I tried earlier today for the first time the folders monitoring. I added two folders and didn't pay any more attention to it.
After a few hours I looked at the library and saw all the age counts had been reset. Is this correct and intentional?

Do you mean the files were already in the library? If so, no, their ages shouldn't be reset due to the monitoring.

In case there's any confusion, "age" indicates when the track was added to the library, not the file's age. This makes it easy (by sorting) to see the latest tracks added to the library, eg. from monitored directories.

I guess I'll have to send you a debug version to find out what's happening there.

mmm, I recall someone asked about this already: when MOD sorround mode is changed via keyboard shortcut, "info bubbles" doesn't inform about if and what sorround mode (1 or 2) is selected.

Are you sure it doesn't? :)

r

« Reply #159 on: 28 Apr '07 - 18:32 »
same thing here... i'm also using explorer and i used xmplay's built-in "add directory" function and both duplicated the entries.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #160 on: 1 May '07 - 17:07 »
The bug reports seem to have dried up, so I guess it's safe to release 3.4.1 now :)

An updated MSN plugin is also up, with support for cue and internet stream titles.

same thing here... i'm also using explorer and i used xmplay's built-in "add directory" function and both duplicated the entries.

For some reason (I don't recall making any changes to the "ignore playlists" stuff), the latest version seemed to sort things for Cosworth. Please let me know if you still have the trouble with 3.4.1.

Brian

« Reply #161 on: 1 May '07 - 17:41 »
Ian - many thanks for the update.

piovrauz

« Reply #162 on: 2 May '07 - 08:25 »
ups, sorry Jan, I said the thing about surround while using Xmplay from usb key, it was an outdated one. the new one (home one) is ok!

jan_c

« Reply #163 on: 2 May '07 - 08:31 »
Hello,

I want to start by thanking Ian for writing such a great piece of software -- keep it up!  :)

And now a small bug report:

I'm having some trouble with SNESamp 3.2 in XMPlay 3.4/3.4.1.  I'm using English WinXP Home SP2.

After opening an .RSN file (RAR archive of SPCs), the track titles do not show up in the playlist -- only the filenames do.  Only once the file (.SPC) has been played do the titles appear.

SNESamp has worked fine in XMPlay 3.3.x; track titles appeared right after the .RSN has been opened and decompressed.

Can anyone confirm this bug?

Thanks!

- Jan

Knurek

« Reply #164 on: 2 May '07 - 15:30 »
SNESamp has worked fine in XMPlay 3.3.x; track titles appeared right after the .RSN has been opened and decompressed.

Can anyone confirm this bug?

Confirmed, with both the old and updated xmp-rar plugin.

Dotpitch

« Reply #165 on: 2 May '07 - 18:41 »
When switching on a Bluetooth device while XMPlay is playing, a new sound device is added and XMPlay halts the playback. Clicking play makes it crash. Happens with WaveOut and DirectSound, and also when the device is switched off and on when XMPlay is running. I've uploaded the crashlog.

Not that I often use Bluetooth audio, but I guess it happens with usb-soundcards as well ;).

yagood

« Reply #166 on: 2 May '07 - 19:14 »
When switching on a Bluetooth device while XMPlay is playing, a new sound device is added and XMPlay halts the playback. Clicking play makes it crash. Happens with WaveOut and DirectSound, and also when the device is switched off and on when XMPlay is running. I've uploaded the crashlog.

Not that I often use Bluetooth audio, but I guess it happens with usb-soundcards as well ;).

Yes, I can confirm it - when USB soundcard is plugged in or out, XMPlay stops playback and becomes unusable / crashes.

r

« Reply #167 on: 3 May '07 - 08:12 »

For some reason (I don't recall making any changes to the "ignore playlists" stuff), the latest version seemed to sort things for Cosworth. Please let me know if you still have the trouble with 3.4.1.
upgraded to 3.4.1 and all seems well! :)

thanks ian!

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #168 on: 3 May '07 - 12:41 »
After opening an .RSN file (RAR archive of SPCs), the track titles do not show up in the playlist -- only the filenames do.  Only once the file (.SPC) has been played do the titles appear.

Ah yes, I see what's happened there. An updated EXE is now in the XMPlay download.

I don't have a Bluetooth device to try, but I tried to reproduce it with a couple of USB soundcards, and couldn't. So I guess it's debug version time ;)

Dotpitch

« Reply #169 on: 3 May '07 - 14:45 »
So I guess it's debug version time ;)
I'll be happy to help out :).

jan_c

« Reply #170 on: 3 May '07 - 21:03 »

Ah yes, I see what's happened there. An updated EXE is now in the XMPlay download.

Thank you!  SNESamp works fine now. :)

Cornet

« Reply #171 on: 17 May '07 - 22:19 »
XMPlay 3.4 seems to have a really weird effect on certain samples when using reverb.

The new reverb effect alters the sound of "high-treble samples" (hihat or something in that dircetion) making them sound distorted and as if they are played from inside a sewer pipe.
I'm not sure if anybody has noticed it, but it makes a lot of my mods sound really ugly.
XMPlay 3.3 doesn't have the bug, I've double-checked.

If any of you know an answer to this problem, please let me hear! (No, I'm NOT going to switch off the reverb effect! ;))

With exclusion of the reverb problem, everything runs smoothly in 3.4. Great piece of software, Ian!

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #172 on: 20 May '07 - 14:30 »
XMPlay 3.4 seems to have a really weird effect on certain samples when using reverb.

The new reverb effect alters the sound of "high-treble samples" (hihat or something in that dircetion) making them sound distorted and as if they are played from inside a sewer pipe.
I'm not sure if anybody has noticed it, but it makes a lot of my mods sound really ugly.

Have you tried lowering the reverb cutoff? If that doesn't help, please upload some particularly badly affected examples...

ftp.un4seen.com/incoming/

Craw

Re: XMPlay Support site: comments and opinions
« Reply #173 on: 20 May '07 - 15:01 »
Hello

I don't know whether somebody posted such a request, but an option "do not update album's info from CDDB if it is in the cache file" for cdplayer plugin would be nice.

Dotpitch

« Reply #174 on: 20 May '07 - 22:08 »
With concatenated ogg vorbis files, the total duration is not shown until the file is played, the length of the first logical stream is used instead (the title as well, I'm not sure whether the filename would be better or not).