Author Topic: 3.4 reports, queries and bugs  (Read 358076 times)

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
Re: 3.4 reports, queries and bugs
« Reply #175 on: 21 May '07 - 16:19 »
I don't know whether somebody posted such a request, but an option "do not update album's info from CDDB if it is in the cache file" for cdplayer plugin would be nice.

That should be automatic - if the CD info is cached, it won't request the info again from the CDDB server. Are you saying that's not the case, eg. from capturing the network traffic?

With concatenated ogg vorbis files, the total duration is not shown until the file is played, the length of the first logical stream is used instead...

Here's an update to try, which should include the length of all OGG sub-songs...

www.un4seen.com/stuff/xmplay.exe

Craw

« Reply #176 on: 22 May '07 - 20:30 »
I haven't chequed the net traffic, but I've edited the data in the cache file and thus it should load what I've put there. Unfortunately, it does a different thing, that is gets the data from freedb and overrides what I've put.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #177 on: 23 May '07 - 15:43 »
How did you edit the cache file? Note that it's not a pure text file, so it may no longer be readable by the CD plugin after you edited it. If you want to edit it, you'll probably have to use a hex editor, rather than a standard text editor (Notepad/etc).

funkkybebel

« Reply #178 on: 23 May '07 - 18:31 »
Hi,

1) possibility to resize the main window
2) locate but also select the file when "Explore directory" is selected when right-cliked

Cornet

« Reply #179 on: 24 May '07 - 15:50 »
Have you tried lowering the reverb cutoff? If that doesn't help, please upload some particularly badly affected examples...
ftp.un4seen.com/incoming/
I've tried lowering the cutoff, and the effect only dissapears when the cutoff is really low (29). The "concert hall"-effect is gone also, though.
I'm afraid you'll have to wait a few days before I can record and upload the samples. I'm very busy at the moment. :)

plusminus

« Reply #180 on: 24 May '07 - 21:00 »
Hi there! I'm an old XMplay user, I don't really use it anymore since switching to Linux, but once in awhile I find it useful for rendering mods.
I'm having a problem rendering a certain song to disk right now. With the output device set to my soundcard it plays back fine normally. But when I set the output device to WAV Writer and check the "separate mod instruments" box, it sounds like all the NNAs are being changed to Note Cut. Channels 6-9 make this very clear, at about 1m 30s.

I couldn't get into the un4seen ftp site (no anonymous access?) so I just uploaded the file to my own host:
http://www.loxen.org/rand0m/moppomix.it.zip

Thanks!

BTW For anyone interested, XMPlay kind of works in Linux now under Cedega 6. Trying to add a file makes things crash, but specifying files on the commandline works... there's lots of good music software on Linux but I still miss XMPlay :(

raina

« Reply #181 on: 24 May '07 - 21:20 »
The FTP is only for uploading, no downloading, no directory listing.

plusminus

« Reply #182 on: 24 May '07 - 22:55 »
The FTP is only for uploading, no downloading, no directory listing.
I know. I wasn't able to log in at all though.

Ah, I see what my problem was, the XMPlay support site points to ftp://www.un4seen.com and not ftp://ftp.un4seen.com . Should've realized.

Ralesk

« Reply #183 on: 27 May '07 - 15:23 »
Okay, I didnít bother reading all 13 pages, just half of it, but the scrollwheel volume changing thing canít be disabled anymore with the same line in the xmplay.ini ó or Iím doing something wrong.

I want to turn it off.  Halp! :(

:P

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #184 on: 27 May '07 - 17:15 »
I'm having a problem rendering a certain song to disk right now. With the output device set to my soundcard it plays back fine normally. But when I set the output device to WAV Writer and check the "separate mod instruments" box, it sounds like all the NNAs are being changed to Note Cut. Channels 6-9 make this very clear, at about 1m 30s.

I couldn't get into the un4seen ftp site (no anonymous access?) so I just uploaded the file to my own host:
http://www.loxen.org/rand0m/moppomix.it.zip

Trying that here, I couldn't notice any obvious problems, so can you please narrow it down to a particular instrument? Also, what XMPlay version are you using?

the scrollwheel volume changing thing canít be disabled anymore with the same line in the xmplay.ini ó or Iím doing something wrong.

The "NoWheelVol" setting is still supported in 3.4 - make sure you've put it in the "[XMPlay]" XMPLAY.INI section :)

Ralesk

« Reply #185 on: 27 May '07 - 17:36 »
[XMPlay]
NoWheelVol=1

Yup, it's there, no it doesnít appear to have any effect ^^;

Tsorovan

« Reply #186 on: 27 May '07 - 17:50 »
Then your INI has become corrupt. It happens. Delete it and start over.

Ralesk

« Reply #187 on: 27 May '07 - 18:06 »
How come all my other settings are followed then? :P  And since INIs are line-based (but at most one key-value per line), how come this line gets ignored?

And I think it's a fairly fresh install (although it was originally ďlatest 3.3Ē until I upgraded to 3.4 ó so of course, thereís a chance for it to get corrupted, but thatís still not a particularly good reason for only this one setting not to work) from scratch, as is my Windows.

plusminus

« Reply #188 on: 27 May '07 - 23:51 »
I'm having a problem rendering a certain song to disk right now.

Trying that here, I couldn't notice any obvious problems, so can you please narrow it down to a particular instrument? Also, what XMPlay version are you using?

Huh, that sounded fishy so I deleted my INI file and all the leftover registry entries and it seems to work now. Thanks.

EDIT: ...or not. Things start out fine, then at about 1:56 on every channel the problem comes back. (Before I deleted the configs, the problem was present from the start.) Channel 8 should (hopefully) present the problem obviously from about 1:55.

I'm rendering to disk at 96khz 32-bit, though using lower sample rates or bit depths doesn't seem to make any difference. Using the latest XMPlay available on the website (3.4.1). Auto-filename and separate instruments are both on.
« Last Edit: 28 May '07 - 01:23 by plusminus »

plusminus

« Reply #189 on: 28 May '07 - 05:30 »
Uploaded an ogg of instrument 8 to the un4seen ftp, moppomix.it_-_008.ogg, to show you exactly what I'm getting. I've mixed it down to mono and cut the first 1:35 (silence) and much of the end.

There's a vocal sample that plays, with an NNA of Continue. There are echoes of the sample on the same channel. There's 4 instances of it.

The first time, everything plays as it should.
The second and third times, the sample and the echoes suddenly cut out after a few seconds.
The fourth time, each echo cuts out the previous playing sample, i.e. as if the NNA was set to Note Cut.

???

Tsorovan

« Reply #190 on: 28 May '07 - 13:27 »
How come all my other settings are followed then? :P  And since INIs are line-based (but at most one key-value per line), how come this line gets ignored?

And I think it's a fairly fresh install (although it was originally ďlatest 3.3Ē until I upgraded to 3.4 ó so of course, thereís a chance for it to get corrupted, but thatís still not a particularly good reason for only this one setting not to work) from scratch, as is my Windows.

I know; it doesn't make sense, but I've had the exact same thing happen a couple of times. Do a backup of the .ini and try it yourself. Maybe there's some CR/LF bug in the parser or something, I don't know.

Ralesk

« Reply #191 on: 28 May '07 - 13:47 »
Scary thing: the file is just fine.  No errors as far as the format goes.  I deleted the file and nothing ch.................

*slaps forehead*

Separate user settings.  Damn.  I didnít say a thing!

Cornet

« Reply #192 on: 28 May '07 - 20:27 »
Allright, there should be a file called "reverbproblem.zip" in your FTP inbox. If there isn't, please tell me, because my FTP client doesn't show any file uploaded to that adress...

marcdesbiens

« Reply #193 on: 29 May '07 - 06:09 »
Great program of course, ballz on accurate and all that good stuff. I have been using your program almost daily for the past 2 years and it's fantastic, thanks !   I have had problems with the latest version though, v. 3.4.1.0.  It crashes from time to time for no reason at all.  It happens 3-4 times a day when I listen to songs extensively.   It would be playing a song and right in the middle of it, XMPlay stops working and shuts down all by itself, this has happened a few times, with different songs, and while I am not even toying with it, I am doing something else, browsing the web for example and XMPlay is minimized, not even on the screen at all.  I use playlists so the program plays one song after the other with lil' intervention on my part. 
I went back to v. 3.4.0.0 and that one works tip top, no shut down problems.  I use windows XP, SP2, latest updates, etc.  I never had any problem at all with this program before v. 3.4.1.0 as I said.  Cheers and thanks for ur hard work.
Marc ;-)
« Last Edit: 29 May '07 - 06:24 by marcdesbiens »

Brian

« Reply #194 on: 29 May '07 - 10:08 »
I've also been having the `vanishing XMPlay' problem this past week, but I thought it was an issue of my own system since reinstalling Windows - a needed Windows service not running, for example. My main reason for thinking this is that the same thing has been happening with at least one other program.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #195 on: 29 May '07 - 13:40 »
EDIT: ...or not. Things start out fine, then at about 1:56 on every channel the problem comes back. (Before I deleted the configs, the problem was present from the start.) Channel 8 should (hopefully) present the problem obviously from about 1:55.

I'm rendering to disk at 96khz 32-bit, though using lower sample rates or bit depths doesn't seem to make any difference. Using the latest XMPlay available on the website (3.4.1). Auto-filename and separate instruments are both on.

I couldn't notice any problem with channel 8, but then I realized you meant "instrument" rather than "channel" :)

Here's an update to try...

www.un4seen.com/stuff/xmplay.exe

I have had problems with the latest version though, v. 3.4.1.0.  It crashes from time to time for no reason at all.

Please try the update above, and if it's still crashing, upload your drwtsn32.log file to hopefully get some clues about it...

marcdesbiens

« Reply #196 on: 29 May '07 - 15:17 »
Thanks Ian ! U rock n' roll, man !
I am trying it now (V. 3.4.1.9) and so far so good, but as I said the problem was
not happening very often once every 1 or 2 hours so I'll have to use it more to find out if this version is working better than v. 3.4.1.0.
Cheers !
Marc   :D

Dotpitch

« Reply #197 on: 29 May '07 - 20:55 »
Uhm... with 3.4.1.9, I've got 2 equalizers in my DSP-list. They use the same settings (changing one changes the other as well), but I'm not sure whether it's applied twice. And since it's built-in, it can't be removed.

plusminus

« Reply #198 on: 30 May '07 - 06:11 »
I couldn't notice any problem with channel 8, but then I realized you meant "instrument" rather than "channel" :)

Erm, yes. Indeed.

*smacks forehead repeatedly*

I guess I'm used to separating tracks by channel and not by instrument.

Anyhow things seem to work fine now, so thanks a million.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #199 on: 30 May '07 - 14:38 »
Uhm... with 3.4.1.9, I've got 2 equalizers in my DSP-list. They use the same settings (changing one changes the other as well), but I'm not sure whether it's applied twice. And since it's built-in, it can't be removed.

That's very strange, not least because nothing to do with DSP has changed :)

Did it just appear the first time you ran 3.4.1.9, and were there any other changes to the DSP list? Have you since modified the DSP list at all? If not, please upload your XMPLAY.INI to have a look at...

You could then remove the "DSP" entry in XMPLAY.INI to start afresh.