Author Topic: 3.4 reports, queries and bugs  (Read 358153 times)

Nukkels

Re: 3.4 reports, queries and bugs
« Reply #275 on: 7 Apr '08 - 00:11 »
I guess it's a plugin trying to load it. Create a new folder, start out with just xmplay.exe and copy the plugins one by one to find out which one is causing the problem. Perhaps a Winamp one?

The offending plugin is WVS - the XMPlay version. I remember installing this on my other machine without any problems though... I've uninstalled it and reinstalled it and it's definitely the cause. Can I just edit out a line in the ini file or something to get rid of the annoying (and loud) popup error message?

Dotpitch

« Reply #276 on: 7 Apr '08 - 08:09 »
The offending plugin is WVS - the XMPlay version. ... Can I just edit out a line in the ini file ... ?
The .dll is loaded by the WVS-plugin, not by XMPlay, so you can't change this by editing the ini. Did you install the plugin using the proper installer? Or you can find and copy hook.dll from your other pc.

Auren

« Reply #277 on: 7 Apr '08 - 13:18 »
That's strange; it looks OK here. I guess what must've happened is that there is some rogue entry in your playlist (XMPLAY.PLS) that is causing the entire list to be detected as ANSI rather than UTF-8. You could try clearing the playlist, and then opening that file again.
Here's what I get with clean fresh XMPlay 3.4.2.36:

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #278 on: 7 Apr '08 - 16:26 »
Oh, I see, you're playing it from the internet; I had only tried a local copy. Here's an update to try...

www.un4seen.com/stuff/xmplay.exe

I'm not sure if the change will adversely affect any other URLs, so please report if you find that it does.

Tsorovan

« Reply #279 on: 7 Apr '08 - 19:32 »
On that note, there's an old bug that I've forgotten to report.

If you add to the playlist, via drag 'n' drop, an URL to a directory containing playable files, the unescaped path gets messed up if the filename contains an apostrophe. The apostrophe will be "unescaped" to
'
(and any single following whitespace (%20) will be tacked on). No such trouble with dragging and dropping an URL pointing to the actual file, so it's only in the directory handling.
« Last Edit: 7 Apr '08 - 19:36 by Tsorovan »

Nukkels

« Reply #280 on: 8 Apr '08 - 09:46 »
Yeah, I installed it using the proper installer, but it must have become corrupted or something. I downloaded it again and installed it AGAIN and now it's working fine. Thanks for the help guys.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #281 on: 8 Apr '08 - 15:18 »
On that note, there's an old bug that I've forgotten to report.

If you add to the playlist, via drag 'n' drop, an URL to a directory containing playable files, the unescaped path gets messed up if the filename contains an apostrophe. The apostrophe will be "unescaped" to
'
(and any single following whitespace (%20) will be tacked on). No such trouble with dragging and dropping an URL pointing to the actual file, so it's only in the directory handling.

To save some time, can you please give an example URL?

Auren

« Reply #282 on: 8 Apr '08 - 16:05 »
Here's an update to try...

It works OK, thanks :)

Tsorovan

« Reply #283 on: 8 Apr '08 - 21:01 »
On that note, there's an old bug that I've forgotten to report. [...]
To save some time, can you please give an example URL?
[link removed, because it's served its purpose] [drag 'n' drop this one]
« Last Edit: 12 Apr '08 - 00:20 by Tsorovan »

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #284 on: 9 Apr '08 - 14:26 »
That "'" is actually in the webpage, and XMPlay wasn't decoding it (or any other encoded characters). Here's an update to try, which should decode characters like that...

www.un4seen.com/stuff/xmplay.exe

Note that it will only decode numerical encodings ("&#..;"), not named characters (eg. "&"); don't want to bloat XMPlay with lookup tables :)

Tsorovan

« Reply #285 on: 9 Apr '08 - 17:21 »
Thanks! Works great.
I thought it was a bug because the direct links to the files work, but of course, it's the browser unescaping them. I agree, a lookup table would be annoying. I've only ever come across this char being annoying here and there on the Innernets though, so there's probably no need.

ripieces

Re: 3.4 reproducable sound quality drop and retake
« Reply #286 on: 25 Apr '08 - 10:51 »
the sound quality in 3.4 seems to be quite random on some rare occasions.

However this one seems to be reproduceable:

When you compare the quality when listening to an 96 kbps MP3 stream with the one when writing it to disk it seems to cut down the quality (as if you cut everything above 22.05kHz) of the live output when writing to disk (the data written to disk is fine of course).

I'm using XMPlay 3.4.2.

Wether or not DirectSound or the SoundCard is selected in the Output panel doesn't seem to matter, the quality will drop (cutting higher frequencies / lowering their amplitude) when you start writing to disk.

However when XMPlay is already writing to disk, the sound quality can be raised / restored again by selecting another Output than the current one from the Output panel and pressing Apply.

The following plugins are displayed to be registered in my XMPlay:

CD Audio (rev.9)
SID (re.25a)
Windows Media Audio (rev.11)
Winamp: Nullsoft MPEG Audio Decoder 2.91
Winamp: Nullsoft Vorbis Decoder v1.35

I also noticed a while ago that the OGG decoder or encoder seems to spread out high crystal clear frequencies (even at medium to high bitrates, as if the forgot the bandwidth limiting window or s.th.), but I don't think that this is a XMPlay issue.
« Last Edit: 25 Apr '08 - 11:22 by ripieces »

Dotpitch

« Reply #287 on: 25 Apr '08 - 12:49 »
When you compare the quality when listening to an 96 kbps MP3 stream with the one when writing it to disk it seems to cut down the quality (as if you cut everything above 22.05kHz) of the live output when writing to disk (the data written to disk is fine of course).
That would be inconvenient. Could you try recording the two cases with Audacity (or similar) and compare their spectra?

[edit]I can't reproduce it with AH.fm's 96k MP3 stream. See image for spectral analysis for both the playback while writing to disk and for the saved file. The difference in above 18 kHz is because of reduction followed by amplification.[/edit]
« Last Edit: 25 Apr '08 - 20:14 by Dotpitch »

ripieces

« Reply #288 on: 3 May '08 - 10:20 »
Sorry it took me so long to answer.

I tried to match up a ~30 sec block (Audacity uses only 23.8 sec), both recordings are from stereo mix under same conditions (the one that has less high frequencies was recorded while XMplay wrote the file to disk and played it live, the other one is recorded from XMplay's playback of the recorded file).

You can download the wav files and the images (but you need to match up a block your self again) here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/112186402/example.7z.html (~15 MB)
(The file can be extracted with 7zip or WinRar).

The recordings were made from a di.fm 96 kbit/s stream* (no changes made to XMplay / plugins, same as in my previous post).

* I know the track is strange, but it contains enough high frequencies.
« Last Edit: 3 May '08 - 10:42 by ripieces »

rolloLG

XMPlay crashes on quit if G-Force plugin is running
« Reply #289 on: 3 May '08 - 21:27 »
Like the subject says... G-Force runs fine with XMPlay 3.4.2, but if you quit XMPlay or close the running G-Force plugin it crashes...

Error in Vista's Event Log (Ita):

Applicazione che ha generato l'errore xmplay.exe, versione 3.4.2.1, timestamp 0x468e1ae5, modulo che ha generato l'errore nvoglv32.dll, versione 7.15.11.5687, timestamp 0x4761e67f, codice eccezione 0xc0000005, offset errore 0x001ff646, ID processo 0x1480, data e ora di avvio dell'applicazione 0x01c8ad429efdefa0.

My cfg:
Laptop Compaq/HP Presario F500EA, Vista Home Basic (SP1, x86, Ita), 2GB RAM, GeForce GO 6100 (Forceware 156.87).

Dotpitch

« Reply #290 on: 4 May '08 - 00:15 »
I tried to match up a ~30 sec block (Audacity uses only 23.8 sec), both recordings are from stereo mix under same conditions (the one that has less high frequencies was recorded while XMplay wrote the file to disk and played it live, the other one is recorded from XMplay's playback of the recorded file).
Well, you were quite correct that XMPlay is cutting around 12 kHz.
I've been able to reproduce it (XMPlay 3.4.2.44) with DI.fm, but only with DirectSound output (not with WaveOut on DI.fm, and not with either of them on AH.fm). If I try to record the effect, it'll only appear when Audacity had started recording before XMPlay got a new file location for the 'Write as...' dialog (so after pressing enter, but before an 'Overwrite this file?' dialog).

So, what's so special about DI.fm that makes XMPlay trip over when re-initiating DirectSound output from that dialog? ::)

[edit]Does happen with all streams and with WaveOut.[/edit]
« Last Edit: 4 May '08 - 12:40 by Dotpitch »

saga

« Reply #291 on: 4 May '08 - 11:01 »
Hm, I have no real clue, but maybe you're using cheap audio hardware? Something strange happens when I record and play back audio at the same time on my laptop: For no good reason, the playback quality decreases, probably to 22khz. Doesn't happen on my super great Juli@, though ;D

ripieces

« Reply #292 on: 4 May '08 - 11:44 »
You can easily hear the quality loss, it also happens when not recording (write to disk directly writes to disk without reencoding / rerecording afaik).

May be s.th. is not properly initialized under some conditions* and you won't notice under others:

A hint for this would be that it seems to not happen when you directly write to disk after a fresh start of xmplay (and that changing the output to another one during writing to disk recovers the quality). But it happens as soon as you played anything else before.

* i.e. it chooses accidentally a wrong sample output rate (22.05kHz instead of 44.1 kHz i.e. or s.th. like that) or connects to a different decoder or with different decoder settings for some reason, I don't know .

Well it's not a problem, since it can be worked around as described, but in case it can be fixed, it might be worth checking if the same problem might affect other parts of xmplay too (although that is not too likely).
« Last Edit: 4 May '08 - 11:51 by ripieces »

Dotpitch

« Reply #293 on: 4 May '08 - 12:39 »
i.e. it chooses accidentally a wrong sample output rate ... or connects to a different decoder or with different decoder settings for some reason, I don't know.
You can't get this change in spectrum with a lowpass filter or a different sample rate, neither with the equalizer or the reverb.

Hmm, this is getting fun... it's happening on WaveOut now as well, and also with AH.fm's MP3 and AAC+ streams. The output sample rate (regular or forced) has no effect. Looks like somewhere between the decoder and the output there's a hideous filter.
« Last Edit: 4 May '08 - 12:47 by Dotpitch »

raina

« Reply #294 on: 4 May '08 - 23:10 »
Just wanted to say I find it great XMPlay doesn't lock down files (e.g. skins and plugins) anymore (since a couple of stuffs).

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #295 on: 6 May '08 - 14:29 »
Wether or not DirectSound or the SoundCard is selected in the Output panel doesn't seem to matter, the quality will drop (cutting higher frequencies / lowering their amplitude) when you start writing to disk.

I don't seem to be able to reproduce that. Can you please give step-by-step instructions to do so?

Please also specify your "Output" option settings, your Windows version, your soundcard, and your CPU. And also make sure that there is no DSP clouding the matter: EQ=off, reverb=off, amplification=0, auto-amp=off, volume=100, balance=centre, and no DSP plugins.

Well, you were quite correct that XMPlay is cutting around 12 kHz.

You too, please :)

Just wanted to say I find it great XMPlay doesn't lock down files (e.g. skins and plugins) anymore (since a couple of stuffs).

That's a bit strange, as I don't recall any changes affecting skins or plugins. Can you please clarify what you have found to be different?

Dotpitch

« Reply #296 on: 6 May '08 - 15:37 »
I don't seem to be able to reproduce that. Can you please give step-by-step instructions to do so?
Please also specify your "Output" option settings, your Windows version, your soundcard, and your CPU. And also make sure that there is no DSP clouding the matter: EQ=off, reverb=off, amplification=0, auto-amp=off, volume=100, balance=centre, and no DSP plugins.
I'm on Windows XP Pro SP2, Intel Pentium M Sonoma (1.86 GHz Speedstepped), Conexant AMC integrated soundcard, normally on WaveOut (48000 Hz 32 bit stereo, no noise shaping or dithering, 1 s buffer).

1. Launch XMPlay (with DirectSound as output, 48 kHz).
2. Right-click a DI.fm 96 kbps MP3 stream, write to disk.
3. Play a file from your harddisk
4. Right-click the same DI.fm stream, write to disk (overwrite the file, though that doesn't seem to matter).
5. Filtered sound through soundcard, but properly saved. (Might occur the first time already after some tries).
It probably won't work the first time, so repeat 3 and 4 a couple of times, then it should turn up fairly quickly. When it happens, I get exactly the same frequency curves as ripieces, and it's 100% reproducable here.

raina

« Reply #297 on: 6 May '08 - 16:15 »
That's a bit strange, as I don't recall any changes affecting skins or plugins. Can you please clarify what you have found to be different?

Heheh, ok, well.. Before it wasn't possible to delete, say an ugly skin after trying it while XMPlay was running. That was because Windows would say the file is in use. And by the time XMPlay wasn't running anymore, you'd have forgot you were supposed to delete the skin because it's dead weight. And this cycle would repeat for weeks (it did here). ;) Now I can delete the file(s) right away without having to exit and interrupt the music first. With the current stuff, XMPlay seems to quietly exit if I choose a skin that was already deleted but I think before the last time I updated, it would revert to the default skin (preferred behaviour).

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #298 on: 7 May '08 - 15:56 »
I'm on Windows XP Pro SP2, Intel Pentium M Sonoma (1.86 GHz Speedstepped), Conexant AMC integrated soundcard, normally on WaveOut (48000 Hz 32 bit stereo, no noise shaping or dithering, 1 s buffer).

1. Launch XMPlay (with DirectSound as output, 48 kHz).
2. Right-click a DI.fm 96 kbps MP3 stream, write to disk.
3. Play a file from your harddisk
4. Right-click the same DI.fm stream, write to disk (overwrite the file, though that doesn't seem to matter).
5. Filtered sound through soundcard, but properly saved. (Might occur the first time already after some tries).
It probably won't work the first time, so repeat 3 and 4 a couple of times, then it should turn up fairly quickly. When it happens, I get exactly the same frequency curves as ripieces, and it's 100% reproducable here.

Unfortunately, I don't have a "Conexant AMC", but I tried (using v3.4.2.44 on XP SP2) repeating the steps about 10 times each with an Audigy 2 and an onboard Realtek ALC889A, and still couldn't reproduce the problem. I'll wait to see what ripieces' setup is, to see if there is any pattern.

Btw, does changing the output Resolution setting make any difference? Also, do you have "Apply sample rate to all file formats" enabled? If not, I presume the XMPlay output is actually 44100hz, rather than 48000hz?

Also, just to be sure, no DSP at all? :)

Heheh, ok, well.. Before it wasn't possible to delete, say an ugly skin after trying it while XMPlay was running. That was because Windows would say the file is in use. And by the time XMPlay wasn't running anymore, you'd have forgot you were supposed to delete the skin because it's dead weight. And this cycle would repeat for weeks (it did here). ;) Now I can delete the file(s) right away without having to exit and interrupt the music first. With the current stuff, XMPlay seems to quietly exit if I choose a skin that was already deleted but I think before the last time I updated, it would revert to the default skin (preferred behaviour).

When loading a skin, XMPlay will load it all to memory and won't keep the file open, so it should be possible to subsequently delete/move the skin file. If you try to load a skin that has been deleted/moved, XMPlay should just show an error dialog and keep the current skin loaded. At least, that should be the case with compiled skins; I'm not sure that I've checked what happens with source files :)

If that's not what is (or was) happening, maybe a background service (eg. virus scanner) was keeping hold of the files; have you installed/removed anything like that recently?

ripieces

Re: Audio quality drop when writing to disk (details)
« Reply #299 on: 7 May '08 - 17:55 »
[....]

[....]

Steps:
  • 1. Start XMPlay
  • 2. Play at least one stream or song in XMPlay first (you can also create a mp3 file we can overwrite in Step3 in this step).
  • 3. Right Click on a 96 kBit/s MP3 Audio stream in your play list and select write to disk (replace a existing file!), if it has much high frequencies, this would be usefull for comparing.
  • 4. Now either double click the same stream (you can usually hear the quality increase then) or compare it with the file writen to disk. Alternatively you could change the Output to another one than the current selected one and click apply.

Windows Version:
Microsoft Windows XP Home Ed., Sp2 [Version 5.1.2600]

Another thing I should note:
My system has only the Lame MP3 ACM codec installed (see attached image) and not the default Windows MP3 codec, but I don't think XMplay would use it in most cases (only in some cases when using proxies it switches to WMA, but it display that and I didn't use proxies during the tests).

Hardware:
Soundcard: Conexant AMC Audio (same like Dotpitch lol)
CPU: mobile AMD Athlon XP 2400+
In case you need more infos go to the HP website, the machine is a Compaq nx9005 laptop supplied with XP home (I only added another 512 MB RAM).

Output settings were in all tests exactly as the ones you suggested (the only DSP plugin are the internal ones, and those were turned off of course):
EQ=off, reverb=off, amplification=0, auto-amp=off, volume=100, balance=centre, and no DSP plugins.
44.1 kHz, stereo 16 bit, Device: Conexant AMC Audio, none of the checkboxes on trhat pane are checked.

Selecting DS as Device produces same results for me.

[....]Unfortunately, I don't have a "Conexant AMC", but I tried (using v3.4.2.44 on XP SP2) repeating the steps about 10 times each with an Audigy 2 and an onboard Realtek ALC889A, and still couldn't reproduce the problem.[....]
I'll test on a Desktop PC with XP Prof and a Audigy 2 within the next 6 hours (cases in which I get hit by a bus of course excluded, heh) to check if I can reproduce it there.

[....]Btw, does changing the output Resolution setting make any difference? Also, do you have "Apply sample rate to all file formats" enabled[....]

Enabling that checkbox and setting to 48kHz produces similar results as with my default setting above.

Notes to the attached image:
Checking any of the settings of a codec on the list will change the list:
Windows Media Audio Codec -> Windows Media Audio
Windows Media Audio -> vanishes

So the list is a bit bugged, but I don't think that is the problem.
« Last Edit: 7 May '08 - 19:35 by ripieces »