Author Topic: 3.4 reports, queries and bugs  (Read 358046 times)

raina

Re: 3.4 reports, queries and bugs
« Reply #300 on: 7 May '08 - 18:59 »
When loading a skin, XMPlay will load it all to memory and won't keep the file open, so it should be possible to subsequently delete/move the skin file. If you try to load a skin that has been deleted/moved, XMPlay should just show an error dialog and keep the current skin loaded. At least, that should be the case with compiled skins; I'm not sure that I've checked what happens with source files :)

If that's not what is (or was) happening, maybe a background service (eg. virus scanner) was keeping hold of the files; have you installed/removed anything like that recently?

I haven't changed anything like that. Maybe it's all in my head..

ripieces

« Reply #301 on: 7 May '08 - 19:31 »
(In addition to the last post on page 20)

I seem to to be unable to reproduce the problem on the Desktop PC with the Audigy 2.

Back to the Conexant AMC Audio:

It really strange that it only happens when writing to disk though.

What is even more strange:
It doesn't seem to happen when you create a new file!
Only when you overwrite existing ones!

That would hint on s.th. uninitialized when writing to disk, may be some variable is not set and gets an random value from stack.
But as far as I know you would have noticed that in a Debug Build already (in case yours also checks for unset variables (which is sometimes annoying when an error message pops up for a variable you did not set intentionally)).

But if you cannot easily locate the problem, it's not worth investigating further as long as it's only limited to one card type, which may be caused due to a driver bug.
Plus it can be easily worked around easily (just select different output and press apply et voila).

Dotpitch

Re: Audio quality drop when writing to disk (details)
« Reply #302 on: 7 May '08 - 21:02 »
Soundcard: Conexant AMC Audio (same like Dotpitch lol)
Coincidence? ;D I've got driver version 6.14.10.550 (the latest according to my supplier), and you?

Btw, does changing the output Resolution setting make any difference? Also, do you have "Apply sample rate to all file formats" enabled? Also, just to be sure, no DSP at all?
No DSP (although that doesn't seem to matter). It still happens at 16 bit (perhaps after more attempts), and forcing from 44.1 to 48 kHz doesn't matter, it doesn't even change the filtering.

It doesn't seem to happen when you create a new file! Only when you overwrite existing ones!
Confirmed. With different filenames everything is alright, but after that it goes wrong at the second instance of overwriting.

ripieces

Re: Audio quality drop when writing to disk (details)
« Reply #303 on: 8 May '08 - 06:58 »
[....]
Coincidence? ;D I've got driver version 6.14.10.550 (the latest according to my supplier), and you?[....]

Got it from Windows Update:
Conexant / 18.02.2004 / 6.13.10.282 / Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher

raina

« Reply #304 on: 8 May '08 - 10:45 »
Just a side note about audio drivers and Windows Update: I've previously experienced problems when getting the former from the latter. Some nice software was installed but the onboard sound stopped working, so I definitely can't recommend it.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #305 on: 8 May '08 - 12:43 »
Soundcard: Conexant AMC Audio (same like Dotpitch lol)

Looks like we have a pattern forming :)

To further narrow-down the cause... what happens if you set the output to "WAV Writer" and then repeat your steps; does the WAV file contain the mystery filtering? If not, that implies that the problem is occuring after the sample data has left XMPlay, as all outputs will receive the same data from XMPlay; the only thing that may be different is volume/balance processing (but there won't be any of that if volume=100 and balance=centre).

It doesn't seem to happen when you create a new file!
Only when you overwrite existing ones!

Do you have system sounds enabled, eg. does Windows make a noise when the "already exists" dialog appears? If so, you could see if disabling them (in the Sounds control panel) makes any difference.

Dotpitch

« Reply #306 on: 8 May '08 - 14:15 »
Do you have system sounds enabled, eg. does Windows make a noise when the "already exists" dialog appears? If so, you could see if disabling them (in the Sounds control panel) makes any difference.
Yes, disabling the sound makes it work flawless. What a horrible bug...

ripieces

« Reply #307 on: 8 May '08 - 15:27 »
[....]Do you have system sounds enabled, eg. does Windows make a noise when the "already exists" dialog appears? If so, you could see if disabling them (in the Sounds control panel) makes any difference.

Yes it only occurs when the sound of the overwrite pop-up dialog is enabled (Really good thought you have there :).
Also if you wait long enough for the sound to 100% finish playing the problem won't happen too.

Seems to happen always when the System plays a sound* (even with normal files, so it's not limited to streams then)
* Play it from the System sounds selection Dialog i.e..

Other players like MediaPlayer Classic, VLC and MPlayer2 (the old one from MS) don't seem to be affacted by this problem.
(May be they set a special flag when requesting the buffers or do it differently, don't know).

[....]what happens if you set the output to "WAV Writer" and then repeat your steps; does the WAV file contain the mystery filtering? If not, that implies that the problem is occuring after the sample data has left XMPlay, as all outputs will receive the same data from XMPlay; the only thing that may be different is volume/balance processing (but there won't be any of that if volume=100 and balance=centre)[....]

The file written to disk seems to be fine.

saga

« Reply #308 on: 8 May '08 - 16:32 »
Yes, disabling the sound makes it work flawless. What a horrible bug...
nothing you can do about in xmplay, i guess. but you can upsample your system sounds to 44khz! ;D

FenolFtalein

« Reply #309 on: 10 May '08 - 04:05 »
Something's wrong with streamed radio in .m3u.
When I drag .m3u files on XMPlay, they are played normally. But if I drag a folder which contains .m3u files, on XMPlay, all files look like dead links and XMPlay doesn't play anything. Or it's not a bug?

Tsorovan

« Reply #310 on: 10 May '08 - 09:54 »
Suggestion: Disable system sounds. It will improve the quality of your life!

saga

« Reply #311 on: 10 May '08 - 12:25 »
Tsorovan: Full ACK! ;D

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #312 on: 12 May '08 - 13:14 »
When I drag .m3u files on XMPlay, they are played normally. But if I drag a folder which contains .m3u files, on XMPlay, all files look like dead links and XMPlay doesn't play anything. Or it's not a bug?

I'm afraid XMPlay will ignore playlists when reading directories, as they will usually just point to the files that are in the directory, so you would end up with duplicates.

heftig

« Reply #313 on: 14 May '08 - 21:33 »
XMPlay uses LF line endings instead of CRLF when copying multiple lines from the info window.

Auren

« Reply #314 on: 15 May '08 - 19:16 »
There's a small cosmetic bug:

Here's the full name of my soundcard (according to Vista's sound control panel):

And here what XMPlay shows me (look at the top of the list):

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #315 on: 16 May '08 - 15:35 »
XMPlay uses LF line endings instead of CRLF when copying multiple lines from the info window.

Here's an update to try...

www.un4seen.com/stuff/xmplay.exe

Note this change also affects the info text via DDE and the plugin API, so it may break some plugins if they aren't prepared for CRLF. Please report if you find that it does.

The default output uses the waveOut interface, and its device names are limited to 32 characters. DirectSound doesn't have that limitation, so you can see the full name then.

Elrinth

« Reply #316 on: 16 May '08 - 23:32 »
I have a request... could you fix so u can add one specific song inside for example a sid?
so select a specific subtune in a tune? and only play that tune and not the others... so u add that one to the playlist... uhm, yeah u probably get the point.

garson

« Reply #317 on: 20 May '08 - 00:50 »
Bug appeared in latest stuff version (3.4.2.45), wasn't there in 3.4.2.44.  ::)
I noticed something strange with Firefox and Foxy Tunes, there are two lines, one after Artist and one after Title. Tried 3.4.2.1 and it's OK.

Here are images.I didn't shut down Firefox, just tried 3.4.2.1 and 3.4.2.45.  :)

I tried few different songs, problem persists.

saga

« Reply #318 on: 20 May '08 - 12:15 »
Hm, that probably is a result of this...

Here's an update to try...

Note this change also affects the info text via DDE and the plugin API, so it may break some plugins if they aren't prepared for CRLF. Please report if you find that it does.

The default output uses the waveOut interface, and its device names are limited to 32 characters. DirectSound doesn't have that limitation, so you can see the full name then.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #319 on: 20 May '08 - 14:49 »
Yep, Foxy Tunes is probably extracting that info from the info text via DDE, and not expecting the CR to be there. Here's another update, which will only insert the CR when copying the info text to the clipboard (not via DDE or plugin API)...

garson

« Reply #320 on: 20 May '08 - 16:54 »
It's ok now.  :)

bornyank1

« Reply #321 on: 1 Jun '08 - 00:05 »
Hey, I seem to have developed a bug with the queue--when I drag a song into it, it plays normally after the current song finishes, but then it plays a second time, without my having queued it up again. I was using a slightly older stuff version, but I updated to the latest and nothing has changed. Any ideas?

SHAD0Wdump

« Reply #322 on: 1 Jun '08 - 08:08 »
XMplay crashes without warning and without report(no popup displaying why the crash occurred),this is while playing it 'in the background' while playing games.

After restarting and pressing play it plays the first song it had selected the last time it was running.

This is with version 3.4.2.1

Dotpitch

« Reply #323 on: 1 Jun '08 - 10:37 »
XMplay crashes without warning and without report(no popup displaying why the crash occurred),this is while playing it 'in the background' while playing games.
Can you reproduce it? Were you using DirectSound output? Does it also happen when you're not playing games?

when I drag a song into it, it plays normally after the current song finishes, but then it plays a second time, without my having queued it up again.
Sounds like the song is looped. Do you have Track looping on? Or 'Auto-loop any track ending with sound'? When the song is played a second time, is it still in the queue-list?

SHAD0Wdump

« Reply #324 on: 1 Jun '08 - 20:56 »
I am running a freshly downloaded xmplay with non of the options modified.

I have a option in the track looping/ending screen checked called 'wait for end to decay ...including DSP:[single track]