Author Topic: 3.4 reports, queries and bugs  (Read 358035 times)

SHAD0Wdump

Re: 3.4 reports, queries and bugs
« Reply #325 on: 1 Jun '08 - 20:59 »
Gah... I don't want to have to register for one small bug fix/report just to modify my posts.

I cannot reproduce it in a controlled situation,it is completely random.(provided a game is running)

Tsorovan

« Reply #326 on: 1 Jun '08 - 22:25 »
Gah... I don't want to have to register for one small bug fix/report just to modify my posts.
Well, if you didn't have to, anyone could edit anyone's posts (unless there's an IP check, but with the amount of NAT out there, people would complain anyway).

SHAD0WDump

« Reply #327 on: 2 Jun '08 - 07:25 »
Alright it seems the player will also only shut down after completing a song,never in the middle of one.

Dotpitch

« Reply #328 on: 2 Jun '08 - 08:11 »
Alright it seems the player will also only shut down after completing a song,never in the middle of one.
So things go wrong when XMPlay is trying to load the next file. Strange, I've never seen it just crash on that. I take it that it's not always the same song coming up when it's crashing? Could you try the 'stuff' version?

Cris

« Reply #329 on: 2 Jun '08 - 08:25 »
I also experienced this kind of problem (XMPlay just "disappears" when it has to change the song).

But to me it happens so very randomly, and very rare, that I couldn't even think on a pattern.
It doesn't happen when I play games (cos I just don't pay games :P ), but as far as I can think of, it happens when I have the fullscreen visuals (or, at least, "almost fullscreen" resized visuals), so it might be some lack of resources that makes XMPlay just... crash and close without any error.

I have no idea when it happens last time to me (as I said, it's very rare), but I'm 90% sure that it doesn't happen in the middle of the song.

@Dotpitch: I don't know what song XMPlay stops at, because I have Random enabled. Also, I have XMPlay 3.4.2.46 (I update it once in a while), but this strange issue goes back since I can remember (if I'm not mistaking, even 3.3 had this problem).
« Last Edit: 2 Jun '08 - 08:27 by Cris »

Pike84

« Reply #330 on: 2 Jun '08 - 13:43 »
I have experienced this too, sometime in the past. Very rare and seems pretty random too.. I remember it has happened when I have changed tracks rapidly, so it's surely something to do with loading the next track. If I wanted to reproduce it, I guess I'd just up/down arrow + enter the list like crazy :).

SHAD0Wdump

« Reply #331 on: 2 Jun '08 - 20:05 »
Now we're getting somewhere,maybe xmplay is trying to use up too many resources and when there isn't enough windows shuts it down.Perhaps the developers need to program it to 'back off' for a moment when resources are at a premium and then continue playing.(most likely as a option,perhaps a 'stability mode')

Tsorovan

« Reply #332 on: 2 Jun '08 - 22:22 »
I have that XMPlay disappearance thing going on on my work laptop (that I don't use these days), almost all the time when it's running on batteries. Never ever once had it happening on any desktop computer over the years.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #333 on: 4 Jun '08 - 14:22 »
To get some ideas about where to look, is there any pattern to the disappearing act? For example, a particular file or format, or output/other settings? Does it only happen when XMPlay automatically advances to the next track, not when advancing manually? Does it happen with or without the info window open, in any mode? Or anything else noteworthy :)

SHAD0Wdump

« Reply #334 on: 5 Jun '08 - 23:03 »
It happens only when switching tracks,most of the time when doing it automatically,however it has rarely done it when I manually switch the tracks.
It doesn't matter if the info screen in up or not.

It has occurred recently when there is no game active,games just seem to increase the frequency.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #335 on: 6 Jun '08 - 14:32 »
OK. Does the file format or output (default/DirectSound/etc) make any difference? Also, does XMPlay being minimized to the taskbar or tray make any difference?

SHAD0Wdump

« Reply #336 on: 6 Jun '08 - 18:39 »
Not sure,I don't know how to change between default/directsound.
I can tell you the formats I am playing,UMX(mainly),OGG,MP3,and some WAVs(oddly considered MP3s by the player).
Again the crash can occur on any track.

Dotpitch

« Reply #337 on: 6 Jun '08 - 19:08 »
I don't know how to change between default/directsound.
You need the DirectSound output plugin, xmp-ds. That it happens with WaveOut (the default) is bad enough.
some WAVs(oddly considered MP3s by the player)
Not that it matters in this case, but those are probably mp3 streams with a wav header. WAV is just a box, but inside it can be MP3, PCM, ADPCM, etc.

Bistzack

« Reply #338 on: 8 Jun '08 - 17:08 »
Having a main panel active up and down keys are inactive for a playlist panel. For instance, I can't jump to a current song using CTRL + DOWN / UP shortcuts. I've attached a configuration file. I have the latest build i.e. 3.4.2.48.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #339 on: 9 Jun '08 - 15:44 »
Not sure,I don't know how to change between default/directsound.
I can tell you the formats I am playing,UMX(mainly),OGG,MP3,and some WAVs(oddly considered MP3s by the player).
Again the crash can occur on any track.

OK, I guess it's not file format or output specific then. What about when minimized, does it ever happen then?

Btw, if it happens when changing track manually, are you able to reproduce the problem by rapidly cycling up/down the playlist? If you can reproduce it quite easily, I could send you a debug version to get some clues about it.

Having a main panel active up and down keys are inactive for a playlist panel. For instance, I can't jump to a current song using CTRL + DOWN / UP shortcuts. I've attached a configuration file. I have the latest build i.e. 3.4.2.48.

Are you sure that the main panel is active, eg. did you click on it?

Btw, as you have attached your config, does that mean the problem doesn't happen with the default config? :)

Bistzack

« Reply #340 on: 9 Jun '08 - 22:22 »
Are you sure that the main panel is active, eg. did you click on it?

Yes, I need to click on it.

Btw, as you have attached your config, does that mean the problem doesn't happen with the default config? :)

That's correct, everything works just fine with the new one.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #341 on: 12 Jun '08 - 13:23 »
I just loaded XMPlay with your config, and the up/down keys seemed to work fine, so I'm a bit confused. What exactly is the problem, and how do I reproduce it? :)

Rah'Dick

• XMPlay Support
« Reply #342 on: 12 Jun '08 - 14:02 »
By the way, I just tried the current "stuff" build with the latest WINE on Ubuntu 8.04 LTS.
The info window finally works - even with visuals, yay! The main window has problems when dragging it across the screen. The position doesn't seem to follow the cursor, but overshoots it - as if it was moved with a wrong mouse multiplier. Doesn't happen in mini mode. Some panels are in the wrong Z-Order sometimes. Everything else seems to work, except for some plugins, maybe (FLAC crashed several times, AFAIK).

SHAD0Wdump

« Reply #343 on: 13 Jun '08 - 00:54 »
I have tried it with rapid manual swapping and there was no effect.

I have been trying it minimized and haven't had it crash yet,but I am unsure that is sufficient to say that minimization cures it.(only started it today)

SHAD0Wdump

« Reply #344 on: 13 Jun '08 - 02:06 »
Update:just crashed while minimized,either it lowers frequency or the crashes are just as random as ever.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #345 on: 13 Jun '08 - 14:07 »
OK. It seems like you can reproduce the problem fairly easily, so I shall send you a debug version to try to get some clues about it.

SHAD0Wdump

« Reply #346 on: 16 Jun '08 - 03:41 »
Does it make a difference if I'm running Vista?

dypsis

« Reply #347 on: 17 Jun '08 - 08:22 »
Everything else seems to work, except for some plugins, maybe (FLAC crashed several times, AFAIK).
I have only recently started playing FLAC files with XMPlay. And I have only recently seen XMPlay crash. I have had a few crashes since playing FLAC files.

I am using 3.4.2.49.

ripieces

I have to apologize for not making sure that I have the latest version of the DirectSound plugin, I still had the old one from 2007.

So for those that also suffered of bad sound quality or want to make sure they have optimal sound quality:

1) Make sure you have the latest version of the XmPlay DS plugin (at time of speaking 1.0.1)
2) Set XmPlay to use DirectSound as Output (the default WaveMapper output it uses otherwise is no good in many situations)

To ensure that even idiots like me have optimal sound quality I'd suggest (if possible):
1) The next version of XmPlay should come with the latest DS plugin
2) The output should default to DS

Dotpitch

« Reply #349 on: 25 Jun '08 - 19:48 »
Ian, I see that you've added a resample quality slider to the Output tab. What is the tradeoff between quality and performace for the 6 methods?