Author Topic: 3.4 reports, queries and bugs  (Read 358139 times)

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
Re: 3.4 reports, queries and bugs
« Reply #350 on: 26 Jun '08 - 16:24 »
All 6 settings use the same method, but take a different number of input samples to produce each output sample. The lowest setting takes 4 samples, and that doubles for each step up, all the way up to 128 samples at the highest setting. Of course, the CPU usage also increases with the number of samples. The 2nd level is approximately the same quality as in previous versions (8 samples used).

Btw, I think it's about time 2.4.3 was released. So if anyone has any problems that need sorting first, please report them now.

andy2004

« Reply #351 on: 26 Jun '08 - 16:58 »
never had any problems with xmplay, which i why i recommend it to all my chat friends, most have made the switch.   ;)

je763

« Reply #352 on: 26 Jun '08 - 19:58 »
Hi Ian,
Is there a way to avoid write to disk to overwrite the file already written ?

today I lost a 2h program because XMplay did a re-buffering started to write the same file again.

I would expect at least to see a the same file name but with a different termination _part1, or 001.

if not, I leave it here as suggestion for improvement to avoid lost of an already existing file.

thanks,

je763

Auren

« Reply #353 on: 26 Jun '08 - 23:46 »
Ian, would you please add a hidden option to omit an extension of the file when encoding it using encoder as an output (for example, songname.it.mp3)? I know about Amiga's extensions being written before the filename, but this option will be hidden and won't be switched on by default. At the same time it would help me very much.

sequestrum

« Reply #354 on: 27 Jun '08 - 18:59 »
Btw, I think it's about time 2.4.3 was released.
I really don't want to seem shrewd or anything here, but I'm wondering what plans you have for 3.5? If I remember correctly, you usually don't reveal much about coming versions, but since you've come up to 50 (!) "subversions" of 3.4.2 my curiosity is starting to get the upper hand of me. So I said to myself, "hey, it wouldn't hurt to at least ask him". (:

The_Welder

« Reply #355 on: 28 Jun '08 - 00:53 »
Hi...

Got a few bugs for you...  The first one is regard to how XMPlay identifies files...  Now being an OLD scene coder,
I've got a lot of weird exotic music formats and someone gave me a load of Future Composer 1.3/1.4, Hippel/COSO
and TFMX modules.

Now I've noticed that XMPlay doesn't seem to examine the file to identify it.  If a file is named Module.fc3 it'll be
identified as a Future Composer 1.3 module and a Future Composer 1.4 if it has an fc4 etc.  Yet both of these files
are easily identifyable as FC13 has an "SMOD" header longword and FC14 has a "FC14" longword.  I don't think you
should be using file extensions to identify module types...

Also there is some weird difference that happens when a split TFMX file (mdat/smpl) is renamed .TFX  That's probably
something to do with either XMPlay playing it internally and a plugin playing the file.  But I do think that XMPlay
should correctly identify TFMX, TFMX_7v, COSO which is just a sort of modified TFMX format...

Or is this all down to the plugins to deal with?  What about having internal support for these module types?

saga

« Reply #356 on: 28 Jun '08 - 00:57 »
that's up to the plugins, i don't know which plugins you're using, at least i don't know a native TFM player for XMplay. I only know those WinAmp plugins and in that case, XMplay can't do anything at all.

Dotpitch

« Reply #357 on: 29 Jun '08 - 16:22 »
Now I've noticed that XMPlay doesn't seem to examine the file to identify it.
Also there is some weird difference that happens when a split TFMX file (mdat/smpl) is renamed .TFX.
Or is this all down to the plugins to deal with?  What about having internal support for these module types?
XMPlay does examine the file if you did not uncheck 'Verify file content'. I take it you're using xmp-delix? I think that plugin does not enforce the same checking as XMPlay does for other files.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #358 on: 30 Jun '08 - 15:09 »
Is there a way to avoid write to disk to overwrite the file already written ?

today I lost a 2h program because XMplay did a re-buffering started to write the same file again.

I would expect at least to see a the same file name but with a different termination _part1, or 001.

By "re-buffering", do you mean that XMPlay had to reconnect, and are you using the "Write to disk" option? If so, it should continue writing to the same file, without recreating it.

Or are you using one of the "WAV Writer/Encoder" devices, with "Auto-filename" enabled?

Ian, would you please add a hidden option to omit an extension of the file when encoding it using encoder as an output (for example, songname.it.mp3)?

OK, here's an update with a non-hidden option...

www.un4seen.com/stuff/xmplay.exe

I really don't want to seem shrewd or anything here, but I'm wondering what plans you have for 3.5?

I still want to try to find a good way to add support for additional languages. Apart from that, I don't really have any great plans at this point. I'll have to see what the "suggestions" thread has :)

piovrauz

« Reply #359 on: 30 Jun '08 - 15:37 »
I also run in this issue (play stream, write to disk, xmplay loses connection, reconnects, and starts to write on the same file, "deleting" the previous recorded data). I didn't use so much that function, and it happened on a 5 hour long mps write to disk session, but it happened :P (restrict dl rate is on, 1 or 2 sec buffer)

This was the stream: http://hardcast.de:10400.

Also, if it streams 2 hors + long, when replaying it displays wrong bitrate, got to fix with an utiliy (dunno if it's on xmplay side).

Hope it helps.

heftig

« Reply #360 on: 1 Jul '08 - 00:37 »
I still want to try to find a good way to add support for additional languages.

What kind of i18n solution are you looking for?

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #361 on: 1 Jul '08 - 16:19 »
I also run in this issue (play stream, write to disk, xmplay loses connection, reconnects, and starts to write on the same file, "deleting" the previous recorded data). I didn't use so much that function, and it happened on a 5 hour long mps write to disk session, but it happened :P (restrict dl rate is on, 1 or 2 sec buffer)

Just to confirm... you're using the "Write to disk" option, not a WAV writer/encoder output device? If so, do you also have the "Auto-reconnect" option enabled, or are you reconnecting manually? Do you get asked for the filename again?

What kind of i18n solution are you looking for?

The main issue is how to fit the "Options and stuff" translations. Unless something better comes to mind, I think it'll probably require the options being rearranged into a table layout, eg. one option per line, with the contol on the left and its description on the right.

The same applies to the "Track info" window.

Auren

« Reply #362 on: 1 Jul '08 - 22:17 »
OK, here's an update with a non-hidden option...

www.un4seen.com/stuff/xmplay.exe

Triple yes! Thanks a LOT!

piovrauz

« Reply #363 on: 3 Jul '08 - 10:13 »
I'm using the "Write to disk" option, since I listen to it while recording.

Sorry but I can't remember if it asked the name for the new file... it's happened  time ago :P... I think somewhere I have a "auto-filename" checked... maybe it's this?

I'm more interested in why the bitrate goes wrong for long streams...

Dotpitch

« Reply #364 on: 3 Jul '08 - 10:30 »
I'm more interested in why the bitrate goes wrong for long streams...
It's a MP3 CBR stream, right? What does XMPlay display for bitrate, and what should it be? If you don't fix the files, is playback or seeking incorrect? Perhaps there's a broken frame somewhere, or XMPlay saved something it shouldn't have saved.

saga

« Reply #365 on: 11 Jul '08 - 16:16 »
dunno if it's a real bug or if it's just me but... i have a playlist with more than 2000 tunes and xmplay seems to pick always the same tunes... it's like i listened to the same tunes in random mode on two machines even! I can't recall this happened in the past. Maybe the random generator got screwed up? :)

Zarggg

« Reply #366 on: 11 Jul '08 - 17:31 »
I have had issues with the RNG on random play mode in the past. I've since switched to using the Shuffle function on the playlist itself and playing in normal mode.

saga

« Reply #367 on: 11 Jul '08 - 18:12 »
i'm not really fond of shuffling the playlist since there's a certain order in it which can't be reproduced with the library (like, tracks from One Hour Compos sorted by place, etc).

EDIT: Warning! 8-bit overflow! 256 posts! ;D
Lol and Zarggg got 1024 posts - that fits! :D
« Last Edit: 11 Jul '08 - 18:18 by saga »

Pike84

« Reply #368 on: 11 Jul '08 - 22:15 »
I've been using ~4000 track playlist for quite a while (my electronic music folder), and I haven't noticed any "unrandomness" when playing in random mode. I often play albums in order, and manually switch to next random track if the one that XMP picked doesn't fit my mood, so I may be unqualified to say.

Auren

« Reply #369 on: 12 Jul '08 - 19:58 »
Small cosmetic bug which happens when I switch between different skins:

Bad highlighting:

and a good one:

P.S. Shortcuts in reply form don't work in Firefox 3

Rah'Dick

• XMPlay Support
« Reply #370 on: 12 Jul '08 - 21:49 »
Small cosmetic bug which happens when I switch between different skins:
(images)

Confirmed. Seen that while working on XMP Underground Radio a few days ago. Bad hilighting disappears after XMPlay restart.

Dotpitch

« Reply #371 on: 22 Jul '08 - 15:37 »
...while working on XMP Underground Radio...
Still looking forward to that one ;D.

[edit] Nevermind, found out that it's actually finished ::).[/edit]
« Last Edit: 22 Jul '08 - 15:41 by Dotpitch »

amit

« Reply #372 on: 24 Jul '08 - 02:06 »
A tiny thing:
When Choosing A maximum text width for the info window The file name isn't affected by the limit. It doesn't break into a multi-line presentation when its length go past the specified limit.

raina

« Reply #373 on: 24 Jul '08 - 08:58 »
Is your file name a solid block with no spaces?

amit

« Reply #374 on: 24 Jul '08 - 13:06 »
Is your file name a solid block with no spaces?

Yes. that must be the reason.
It is an http stream so the spaces are replaced with '%20' .Isn't there anything to be done about it?