Author Topic: 3.4 reports, queries and bugs  (Read 451542 times)

Cris

Re: 3.4 reports, queries and bugs
« Reply #675 on: 10 Jun '09 - 17:12 »
The update above will backup the existing xmplay.library (to xmplay.library~) before updating it. A "NoBackup" XMPLAY.INI option has also been added to disable that.

Thank you very much. :)

It is strange that both your library and playlist were corrupted though. They aren't written simultaneously, so they can't both be interrupted by a crash. Did they both lose info at the same time, or could there have been separate incidents?

I seriously doubt it. I use the library, playlist, queue and Find Tracks a lot, and I immediately noticed when they disappeared. A day before, both the playlist and library were just fine.

Did the library totally disappear or only the overridden tags? One important thing to note is that you should not switch to an older version of XMPlay (eg. from 3.4 to 3.3) whilst keeping a newer library, as it may not support the library's format, in which case it can't read the library contents and will end up replacing it. Is it possible that is what happened in your case? To avoid the possibility in future, XMPlay will from now on refuse to run with a library version that it doesn't recognise/support.
The playlist, as I said, contained only 900+ items in it, and the last item had incomplete info.

The library, when I checked it, was containing only about 3 items, which I played just before I noticed that something is wrong (it was about 300+ bytes in size).

I didn't change absolutely anything related to XMPlay. I didn't switch versions, didn't add/remove plugins, I didn't even change settings (in the last few weeks). Maybe there was some other source for the file corruption, which lead to XMPlay dropping the library content... I have no way of checking it now. :(

Thanks again for the update. :)

anon

« Reply #676 on: 14 Jun '09 - 17:55 »
xmplay stopped trying to access the internet
i can't listen to any streaming radio
i don't get any error messages, it won't even try to connect to the internet (checked w/firewall/tcpview)
how do i figure out what is wrong?
i'm using videolan vlc in the meantime, so i'm not going crazy :)

thank you

Dotpitch

« Reply #677 on: 14 Jun '09 - 18:06 »
xmplay stopped trying to access the internet. i can't listen to any streaming radio. i don't get any error messages, it won't even try to connect to the internet (checked w/firewall/tcpview). how do i figure out what is wrong?
Move or rename your xmplay.ini, start XMPlay and try to open the stream again. If that works, then the problem is solved :). Otherwise, are you sure XMPlay isn't blocked by the firewall? Are you using a proxy? What type of stream are you trying to listen to?

anon

« Reply #678 on: 15 Jun '09 - 02:44 »
it was working fine for two years, now suddenly this morning it stopped

>Move or rename your xmplay.ini
makes no difference, i even downloaded xmplay34 again, fresh directory no difference

>are you sure XMPlay isn't blocked by the firewall?
i am absolutely sure it isn't the firewall.
There is nothing in the  firewall logs,
and i even disabled the firewall and it still didn't work.
i checked with sysinternals procexp/tcpview, and it shows xmplay.exe isn't
even attempting to establish a network connection
It will play files, but not any kind of url.

>Are you using a proxy?
No

>What type of stream are you trying to listen to?
No url i try works, but I wanted to listen to  Led Zeppelin
http://www.piscitella.com:8002/listen.pls
[playlist]
NumberOfEntries=1
File1=http://www.piscitella.com:8002/

I'm listening it now using videolan vlc

saga

« Reply #679 on: 20 Jun '09 - 22:01 »
hmm. i have had the mod and mp3 version of the same tune in my playlist here, so i decided to remove one of them. i removed the mp3 version and wanted to change the library entry of the mod version so it points to the mp3 file (as i wanted to keep it at the correct place in my playlist and not recreate all the library tags for this tune). of course i've removed the mp3 file from both the library and the playlist, but i still can't replace the mod's filename by the mp3 filename.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #680 on: 23 Jun '09 - 14:11 »
You would need to restart XMPlay to do that. That is because each track record needs to have a unique filename and they are not removed from memory (until XMPlay is closed), even if they are currently not in either the playlist or library.

Let me know if you still can't change the track's filename after restarting.

saga

« Reply #681 on: 23 Jun '09 - 16:51 »
Well yes, it works after restarting, but that's a bit inconvenient for on-the-fly playlist editing...

saga

« Reply #682 on: 24 Jun '09 - 19:16 »
this s3m file seems to be played kinda wrong. At position 7 (pattern 5), channels 3 and 4 are supposed to be played the same way, but this is not the case. MPT and ST3 play this tune correctly. The problem is that the volume column has the value "66" which is obviously two too much. This should be reduced to 64, not 0.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #683 on: 25 Jun '09 - 14:21 »
Here's an update that should sort it...

www.un4seen.com/stuff/xmplay.exe

saga

« Reply #684 on: 25 Jun '09 - 15:23 »
That looks like the volume issue has been fixed but... Is it just me or is xmplay randomly breaking to the next pattern all the time?!
EDIT: Seems like the whole S3M loader is broken, it happesn with all S3Ms...
« Last Edit: 25 Jun '09 - 17:34 by saga »

deus-ex

« Reply #685 on: 25 Jun '09 - 17:57 »
That looks like the volume issue has been fixed but... Is it just me or is xmplay randomly breaking to the next pattern all the time?!
EDIT: Seems like the whole S3M loader is broken, it happesn with all S3Ms...

Current stuff build 110 has that fixed.

saga

« Reply #686 on: 25 Jun '09 - 21:35 »
yep, that sounds better again. :)

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #687 on: 26 Jun '09 - 13:28 »
Yeah, the earlier "fix" (.109) actually broke the S3M loader, so it was corrected in the day's later update :)

jperez

« Reply #688 on: 1 Jul '09 - 11:39 »
Hi everyone, I'm new to these forums, but not new to XMPlay.  Been using it for years and even bought 2MIDI a couple years back.

Now, a strange thing has occurred with one of my rearrangements.  Usually all of my music is played perfectly when playing in XMPlay, but I made one that was a bit different and seems to be dropping out notes which it doesn't do for other files I've worked with.  Here's the scenario:

I'm playing the music and the notes are dropping out when the pattern looks like this (IT):

Code: [Select]
|A-401......
|===........
|E-401...SD2
|===........
|A-401...SD1
|===........
|G-401......
|===........

It basically isn't playing nice with Note Delay in this file.  Speed is 4 and Tempo is 190 and I even changed the speed and tempo to see if that would solve the problem, but no go.  I've tried everything, but it just doesn't want to work and I'm not willing to recreate the rearrangement and double it's length as it was a pain to make in the first place. :-X

I can provide the IT file in question if needed.  I just want to be able to hear it clearly like I can using the MODPlug & DUMB engines.  I love XMPlay and has "replaced" ImpulseTracker (MS-DOS) for playback.  I really would like to keep it that way.  Any ideas? :/

Jesse~

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #689 on: 1 Jul '09 - 15:52 »
Please upload an example file to reproduce the problem with here...

ftp.un4seen.com/incoming/

jperez

« Reply #690 on: 1 Jul '09 - 20:11 »
Okay, it's been uploaded as Overworld.it.  It hope it's something that can be easily fixed.  I don't want it to be too troublesome.  :-X

Jesse~

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #691 on: 2 Jul '09 - 14:55 »
I think the note delay is actually a bit of a red herring :)

Your file is also using "carry" envelopes together with the "note cut" NNA, and it appears that the "carry" element should be ignored in that case. So here's an update to try, which should do just that...

www.un4seen.com/stuff/xmplay.exe

jperez

« Reply #692 on: 2 Jul '09 - 19:58 »
Boy do I feel stupid  ;D

Still, I'd never known about carry envelopes.  This will be useful information in the future.  Thanks for the update!  It really helps.  I wonder what other of my musics now with this update and new information...

Jesse~

winner

Ian, I've got a problem!  :-[

After installing XMPlay version 3.4.2.111 and rebooting my computer, whenever I try to run XMPlay I get the following error:
ERROR! This file has been tampered with and MAY BE INFECTED BY A VIRUS!

XMPlay refuses to run.

I get the same error when I try to run previous versions. I even reinstalled the standard package from the website to another folder, but get the same error.

I've identified this message as coming from code in another program you've written, called Petite Packer, which to my knowledge I have never installed on my computer. I suspect XMPlay is a packed executable and something is going wrong when it self-decompresses.

This message has been extremely disconcerting for me; I've run numerous virus/malware scans and installed three additional malware scanners to find what might be wrong. I'm relieved to learn it's code that you probably wrote and know something about.

Please advise on how I can stop this from appearing and run XMPlay again. I also suggest that if this code is part of XMPlay or the Bass engine, that a more useful message is constructed, so that people encountering this will better know where to look for help.

Thanks Ian!

ChrisW

whenever I try to run XMPlay I get the following error:

I started getting this message after Comodo Internet Security updated to version 3.10. After downgrading to v3.9 XMPlay now works again.

winner

whenever I try to run XMPlay I get the following error:

I started getting this message after Comodo Internet Security updated to version 3.10. After downgrading to v3.9 XMPlay now works again.
Thanks! This problem starting appearing for me also after an upgrade of Comodo. I'll try to revert as well and see what happens. I've notified Comodo about the problem.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #696 on: 6 Jul '09 - 13:55 »
That message should only appear if the XMPLAY.EXE file (or perhaps a plugin) has been tampered with, possibly by a virus. Please first try downloading the latest "stuff" (.112) and reproduce the problem with that alone in a directory. If the problem happens then, upload the XMPLAY.EXE file, and I'll confirm whether it has been modified...

winner

« Reply #697 on: 6 Jul '09 - 14:08 »
That message should only appear if the XMPLAY.EXE file (or perhaps a plugin) has been tampered with, possibly by a virus. Please first try downloading the latest "stuff" (.112) and reproduce the problem with that alone in a directory. If the problem happens then, upload the XMPLAY.EXE file, and I'll confirm whether it has been modified...
Thanks Ian!!! Sorry, didn't see your reply quick enough. I reverted Comodo Internet Firewall to previous version 3.9 and XMPlay 3.4.2.111 works! All previous versions of the executable work as well, while they didn't work under Comodo Internet Firewall 3.10. Grrrrrr! Troubleshooting this issue consumed my 4th of July day and more.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #698 on: 6 Jul '09 - 14:23 »
The same XMPLAY.EXE file that was giving the error message is now fine? In that case, I guess the Comodo update must have been just modifying things in memory and not the file itself.

winner

« Reply #699 on: 6 Jul '09 - 14:30 »
The same XMPLAY.EXE file that was giving the error message is now fine? In that case, I guess the Comodo update must have been just modifying things in memory and not the file itself.
The problem persisted after reboots. Yes it seems that Comodo modified it when unpacking and somehow the checksums of the executables then changed? Hmmmm.