Author Topic: 3.4 reports, queries and bugs  (Read 450241 times)

Dotpitch

Re: 3.4 reports, queries and bugs
« Reply #700 on: 6 Jul '09 - 15:27 »
The same XMPLAY.EXE file that was giving the error message is now fine? In that case, I guess the Comodo update must have been just modifying things in memory and not the file itself.
Yes it seems that Comodo modified it when unpacking and somehow the checksums of the executables then changed?
That sounds like Comodo's Defense+ is acting up, specifically the Image Execution Control. You can switch it off or add xmplay.exe to the list of exclusions.

winner

« Reply #701 on: 6 Jul '09 - 16:17 »
The same XMPLAY.EXE file that was giving the error message is now fine? In that case, I guess the Comodo update must have been just modifying things in memory and not the file itself.
Yes it seems that Comodo modified it when unpacking and somehow the checksums of the executables then changed?
That sounds like Comodo's Defense+ is acting up, specifically the Image Execution Control. You can switch it off or add xmplay.exe to the list of exclusions.
Thank you, Dotpitch, for the info! I checked Image Execution in version 3.9. It was Disabled. I moved the slider to Normal, then closed and reopened XMPlay. I got the unrecognized warning again from Comodo, allowed it, and XMPlay works fine. I wouldn't know how Image Execution would've been set in Comodo version 3.10.
« Last Edit: 6 Jul '09 - 16:20 by winner »

winner

Ian, I've got a problem!  :-[

After installing XMPlay version 3.4.2.111 and rebooting my computer, whenever I try to run XMPlay I get the following error:
ERROR! This file has been tampered with and MAY BE INFECTED BY A VIRUS!

XMPlay refuses to run.

I get the same error when I try to run previous versions. I even reinstalled the standard package from the website to another folder, but get the same error.

I've identified this message as coming from code in another program you've written, called Petite Packer, which to my knowledge I have never installed on my computer. I suspect XMPlay is a packed executable and something is going wrong when it self-decompresses.

This message has been extremely disconcerting for me; I've run numerous virus/malware scans and installed three additional malware scanners to find what might be wrong. I'm relieved to learn it's code that you probably wrote and know something about.

Please advise on how I can stop this from appearing and run XMPlay again. I also suggest that if this code is part of XMPlay or the Bass engine, that a more useful message is constructed, so that people encountering this will better know where to look for help.

Thanks Ian!
Today Comodo Internet Security was updated again. After uninstalling version 3.9, reinstalling version 3.10 and updating, the problem is resolved. XMPlay works without error.

jperez

« Reply #703 on: 10 Jul '09 - 10:50 »
Sorry for being a pain, but I swear that XMPlay hates me >:

New problem, at least for me anyway.  Seems that a chiptune I made will loop using the B00 command in MODPlug and in my custom test program with a plugin using the DUMB library, but not in XMPlay.  As soon as it reaches the end, instead of looping back to the 4th order (B03), it stops! T_T

I made about 5 different versions of the song and this one is the only one with this problem.  It just won't read the position jump...any ideas?

Jesse~

raina

« Reply #704 on: 10 Jul '09 - 12:53 »
What are you trying to achieve? An infite loop? If you haven't enabled looping in the player, that's the same as ending the (sub)song.

jperez

« Reply #705 on: 10 Jul '09 - 15:42 »
Okay, let me clarify:

Looping: Auto loop
Music file: Last order ends with B03 (position jump to order 03(hex))

All other music with position jumps are playing fine except this one file.  I'll just play it in either the tracker or my newly created (yet very simple) mod player because it's working nicely at the moment and I have it where I want it until Ian tells me what the problem could be.

Jesse~

Dotpitch

« Reply #706 on: 10 Jul '09 - 15:46 »
All other music with position jumps are playing fine except this one file.  I'll just play it in either the tracker or my newly created (yet very simple) mod player because it's working nicely at the moment and I have it where I want it until Ian tells me what the problem could be.
Could you upload it to the ftp folder, so Ian can take a look at it?

saga

« Reply #707 on: 10 Jul '09 - 15:47 »
or can you upload this file somewhere where it's public (attach it to a forum post), so i might also have a look if something is going wrong in OpenMPT / ModPlug. (I'm currently hunting down a lot of playback bugs, so I'm interested if this is a XMPlay or MPT bug)

jperez

« Reply #708 on: 10 Jul '09 - 16:21 »
Well, I know it's working in MPTracker since that's what I use. o.o

It plays back fine in MPTracker, but not in XMPlay.  I'll attach it here anyway for your bug tracking.

Jesse~

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #709 on: 10 Jul '09 - 17:25 »
XMPlay will try to detect a loop, and stop playback at that point if looping isn't enabled. So if you don't have looping enabled, try that :)

saga

« Reply #710 on: 10 Jul '09 - 18:43 »
Well, I know it's working in MPTracker since that's what I use. o.o

It plays back fine in MPTracker, but not in XMPlay.  I'll attach it here anyway for your bug tracking.

Jesse~
sure, but i'm always looking for stuff that's actually played wrong in MPT. :)
I think XMPlay doesn't detect a loop because there's digital silence at the loop end, so it will just ignore the loop. you can force it to loop by enabling looping, as Ian said.

jperez

« Reply #711 on: 10 Jul '09 - 23:27 »
Hmm...odd.  I could have sworn I've seen music with dead silence get looped automatically before in XMPlay with Auto loop on, but since XMPlay can save loop settings per song, it should work out for me.  Thank you saga and Ian for the help! raina, I hope I didn't come off as rude. :-[

Jesse~

stanley.tweedle

Re: 3.4.x - How to Obtain Current Version?
« Reply #712 on: 15 Jul '09 - 20:27 »
Hi. I apologize for adding to thread clutter, if this isn't the most appropriate place for such a query.

I have installed XmPlay 3.4.x on another system (which I don't have access to, momentarily), which is a newer version than what is available at un4seen via regular D/L .

in particular, following the primary un4seen-com nav href (@left-column), the version which i d/l { en/us } is not as "new" as that which i d/l, elsewhere, as linked from an Album-Art "plugin" developer's site.

Identified by: re-organization of the DSP (and perhaps other areas) of the Options / Stuff GUI (of XmPlay), which i see now is reminiscent here of that "older" version-- not to mention, does not play well with this Album-Art plugin. (Indeed, why do i have the plugin, but not the "newer" version? Ah-- it is laughable, and such is life!)

if only i could recall what was that Winamp-wrapper-based (methinks) plugin (where album art is integrated into XmPlay through the std Vis. of { extended info } in XmPlay), i would d/l again. i am unfortunate, however, for that info is gone, like so much dead epiderm.

Please advise.

raina

« Reply #713 on: 15 Jul '09 - 21:40 »
« Last Edit: 15 Jul '09 - 21:45 by raina »

Sam_Zen

« Reply #714 on: 17 Jul '09 - 02:41 »
A serious bug in stuff 3.4.2.113 around the Message button.
Since the last used button, General or Message, is saved in a session, it has two ways of opening again.

1. if General is on, one can play a song, but as soon as the Message button is pressed, XMPlay is gone.
2. if Message is on, XMPlay crashes when the play button is pressed.

Jace

« Reply #715 on: 17 Jul '09 - 06:16 »
Tried 3.4.2.114 yet? I can't reproduce the problem over here.

Could've been related to this:
Ok, this sounds cool of course, but this version has several issues:
- ID3 tags are shown in the info windows here, but when playing the tune, the playlist entry changes from "artist - tune" to filename display
- Also got a crash when opening an MP3 file, but couldn't reproduce it.

Oops, that'll be due to a remnant of the CUE tracks stuff that was accidentally left in. Here's a correction...

www.un4seen.com/stuff/xmplay.exe

stanley.tweedle

« Reply #716 on: 17 Jul '09 - 09:28 »
http://un4seen.com/stuff/xmplay.exe
many thanks!

winamp_svp was split into xmp-wavis and xmp-coverart.
indeed. i see i have two winamp-something-or-other's here in the XmPlay Vis mouse-click-some. Recalling, i believe it was that which position(ed) itself at the bottom-most position of the context-menu, which i was using (for what its worth and what not...)

thanks again! lovin' the XmPlay, of course.
:-)
« Last Edit: 17 Jul '09 - 22:31 by stanley.tweedle »

Sam_Zen

« Reply #717 on: 17 Jul '09 - 18:38 »
Thanks Jace, problem seem to be solved with .116.

infimum

« Reply #718 on: 21 Jul '09 - 03:15 »
Recent versions stopped displaying specs in old skins like Bonjour_BS2000.

Dotpitch

« Reply #719 on: 21 Jul '09 - 09:29 »
Recent versions stopped displaying specs in old skins like Bonjour_BS2000.
It still works here. Does the info window show anything on the General tab?

infimum

« Reply #720 on: 21 Jul '09 - 10:59 »
Never mind, it's working now.

saga

« Reply #721 on: 25 Jul '09 - 13:41 »
I've uploaded peen.it to your FTP. It seems like XMPlay is ignoring the last tick of the volume envelope, thus instrument 5 is getting "out of sync" with the drums. Checked IT and MPT and both play it correctly.

winner

« Reply #722 on: 25 Jul '09 - 18:14 »

When you press "Play" it always plays the track that is currently selected. If no track is selected, this defaults to the first track in the playlist. If you right-click the play button, it will select a random playlist entry.

Right; the option "save playback position when closing" has some bearing on this too. I argue though that if someone wants random playback, when starting XMPlay (which plays the last loaded playlist) the application should start with a random item, and not always the first. To me this makes sense for the meaning of "random playback." Probably even when random playback is selected, this behavior should override any status of the "save playback position when closing." To be fair, I don't think that even the folks at Nullsoft have yet achieved this seemingly natural behavior for random playback in Winamp.

Hey, I don't think anyone has responded to my argument about random play. What does everyone else think? When starting playback of a song list with random play mode selected, wouldn't it seem natural that the first song played should be a random choice always?

raina

« Reply #723 on: 25 Jul '09 - 20:30 »
Hey, I don't think anyone has responded to my argument about random play. What does everyone else think? When starting playback of a song list with random play mode selected, wouldn't it seem natural that the first song played should be a random choice always?
Don't really care either way but for the sake of randomness, I guess it could be random. I use shuffle instead for more controlled randomness. :)

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #724 on: 27 Jul '09 - 17:56 »
I've uploaded peen.it to your FTP. It seems like XMPlay is ignoring the last tick of the volume envelope, thus instrument 5 is getting "out of sync" with the drums. Checked IT and MPT and both play it correctly.

That seems to have been introduced in a recent modification made to get the latest Bejeweled soundtrack to play the same as in MPT :)

I think it should be all sorted now...

www.un4seen.com/stuff/xmplay.exe