Author Topic: 3.4 reports, queries and bugs  (Read 446032 times)

Jimmy Neutron

Re: 3.4 reports, queries and bugs
« Reply #750 on: 31 Aug '09 - 12:39 »
A quick look at the network traffic showed that XMPlay opens the ShoutCast stream and for some reason stops it again, and then lets the Windows Media libraries (User-Agent:WMFSDK/11.0) handle the streaming.

Excellent!  Thank you for the time and effort you spent figuring this out, and the great explanation too.

Reproducing and then nailing down the problem are the next two steps in getting this fixed.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #751 on: 31 Aug '09 - 13:22 »
There's a bug I noticed in 3.4.2.125 (and .124) where if XMPlay needs to start buffering a streamed file, it will resume playback once buffered regardless of the play/pause button state. In fact, if you press pause during buffering the button keeps blinking, as does the time display while still being updated.

Does that only happen with DirectSound output? If so, I think I see why that is, and here's an update to try...

www.un4seen.com/stuff/xmp-ds.dll

I have several URLs that will stream in Screamer as 320 or 256 mp3 with artist/title info but XMPlay (stuff 125) shows them as WMA with no artist/title.

There was indeed a possible problem with the verification of high bitrate MP3 internet streams (it could require a number of frames greater than what was pre-downloaded for a stream to be considered valid MP3), which resulted in them being played by the WMA plugin instead. That should be sorted now...

www.un4seen.com/stuff/xmplay.exe

Jimmy Neutron

« Reply #752 on: 31 Aug '09 - 13:56 »
There was indeed a possible problem with the verification of high bitrate MP3 internet streams (it could require a number of frames greater than what was pre-downloaded for a stream to be considered valid MP3), which resulted in them being played by the WMA plugin instead. That should be sorted now...

Fixed!  Thanks very much...

raina

« Reply #753 on: 31 Aug '09 - 14:18 »
Does that only happen with DirectSound output? If so, I think I see why that is, and here's an update to try...

I didn't test other outputs but yes, I was using DS. I think it's safe to say you fixed it because with the new files just now, it works as expected on WaveOut, DirectSound, ASIO and WASAPI.

r

« Reply #754 on: 2 Sep '09 - 18:52 »
Hey Ian,

I uploaded an error log I experienced with XMPlay.

I hibernated my computer with XMPlay and on pause when playing an MP3 in a .RAR archive.

Afterwards, when I started my computer, I resumed playing and now when playing any song I hear all sorts of weird sounds like the song was being fast-forwarded and chopped up.

Then XMPlay crashed.

Songs still sound like they are being mangled, but when I switched the output driver to anything but DirectSound, everything became back to normal.
« Last Edit: 2 Sep '09 - 18:54 by djray »

piovrauz

« Reply #755 on: 3 Sep '09 - 09:01 »
another one: when playing .psf/minipsf archived in a zip file, the tunes won't play, or only one is loaded. I believe it's because the plugin needs some of the files that are in the archive but doesn't get them. maybe. it's possible to "fix" this? [yes, since no directmusic, I got the psf of that game, nice deal on an 2nd hand game :)]

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #756 on: 3 Sep '09 - 14:14 »
I uploaded an error log I experienced with XMPlay.

I hibernated my computer with XMPlay and on pause when playing an MP3 in a .RAR archive.

Afterwards, when I started my computer, I resumed playing and now when playing any song I hear all sorts of weird sounds like the song was being fast-forwarded and chopped up.

Then XMPlay crashed.

Songs still sound like they are being mangled, but when I switched the output driver to anything but DirectSound, everything became back to normal.

Unfortunately, that log doesn't appear to include where the crash occurred. Do you happen to have that information too, eg. the address? The log does show that you are using an old version of the DirectSound plugin though, so you could see if updating that helps. You can find the latest build a few posts up :)

If you're not already using it, you could also try the latest XMPlay build...

another one: when playing .psf/minipsf archived in a zip file, the tunes won't play, or only one is loaded. I believe it's because the plugin needs some of the files that are in the archive but doesn't get them. maybe. it's possible to "fix" this?

In that case, I think the only reasonable solution is probably to extract the files yourself, eg. don't keep them in a ZIP. The alternative, having XMPlay extract all files from an archive to play one of them, wouldn't be very practical.

SmartOne

« Reply #757 on: 6 Sep '09 - 21:10 »
I've noticed that when starting a track, sometimes the first second (or less) is inaudible.  Specifically I'm using the Winamp plugin vgmstream with DirectSound.  Not sure if this happens with other Winamp or XMPlay native plugins.

Dotpitch

« Reply #758 on: 6 Sep '09 - 21:39 »
I've noticed that when starting a track, sometimes the first second (or less) is inaudible.  Specifically I'm using the Winamp plugin vgmstream with DirectSound.
Is it a quiet start and the auto-amp needs to kick in, or is it true silence?

SmartOne

« Reply #759 on: 6 Sep '09 - 23:32 »
 I should have said, "The first second or so is skipped completely."  No auto-amp.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #760 on: 7 Sep '09 - 16:59 »
Does the problem only happen when using DirectSound output, or does it happen with the default output too?

SmartOne

« Reply #761 on: 7 Sep '09 - 19:42 »
It happens when using DirectSound - Realtek HD Audio output but not DirectSound - USB Audio DAC or simply Realtek HD Audio output.  Something to do with DirectSound + integrated device?

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #762 on: 8 Sep '09 - 17:46 »
OK. Please first try the latest DirectSound plugin build...

www.un4seen.com/stuff/xmp-ds.dll

If that doesn't help, then I think I'll have to send you a debug version to get some further info.

r

« Reply #763 on: 8 Sep '09 - 23:00 »
I was still experiencing the fast-forward, chopped-up problem with DirectSound even with the latest Directsound output build and XMPlay "stuff" version.

Checking the "Disable hardware mixing" box in the DirectSound settings fixed the chopped-up sound problem.
Could this mean there's something wrong with my DirectSound?

Also just closed XMPlay and got this error:
The instruction at "0x019c4aca" referenced memory at "0x019c4aca". The memory could not be "read".

Another error:
Exception information:
Code: 0xc0000005
Flags: 0x00000000
Record: 0x0000000000000000
Address: 0x0000000010004a7a
« Last Edit: 8 Sep '09 - 23:07 by djray »

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #764 on: 9 Sep '09 - 15:09 »
I was still experiencing the fast-forward, chopped-up problem with DirectSound even with the latest Directsound output build and XMPlay "stuff" version.

Checking the "Disable hardware mixing" box in the DirectSound settings fixed the chopped-up sound problem.

Can you reproduce the problem? If so, I could send you a debug version to try to find out why it's happening.

Also just closed XMPlay and got this error:
The instruction at "0x019c4aca" referenced memory at "0x019c4aca". The memory could not be "read".

Another error:
Exception information:
Code: 0xc0000005
Flags: 0x00000000
Record: 0x0000000000000000
Address: 0x0000000010004a7a

Do you have any further details on this? If you have a DRWTSN32.LOG entry, please upload that to have a look at here...

ftp.un4seen.com/incoming/

SmartOne

« Reply #765 on: 13 Sep '09 - 03:57 »
DirectSound rev. 3a doesn't fix the issue of occasional skipping when starting a track using the Realtek HD Audio device.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #766 on: 14 Sep '09 - 15:25 »
OK, I'll send you a debug version to get some clues.

r

« Reply #767 on: 14 Sep '09 - 20:21 »
I can't seem to reproduce the fast-forward problem (which is good!), it appears to be gone for now.

Anyway, encountered another bug, I tried adding this webpage as a URL:
http://www.indiespinzone.com/other/pop6.html

But XMPlay crashes before it has the time to scan the entire page for MP3s.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #768 on: 15 Sep '09 - 15:42 »
Oops, here's a fix for that...

r

« Reply #769 on: 17 Sep '09 - 00:03 »
Thanks Ian!
Latest "stuff" version fixes the scan HTML bug.

Cris

« Reply #770 on: 22 Sep '09 - 16:14 »
Hello,

I think I found a bug. I'm using XMPlay 3.4.2.127.

How to reproduce:
- open the Find tracks window and search for some songs
- start playing one of the search results
- then right click on the track that's playing, and select Remove and delete (confirm the message)
- repeat the same search as before. The deleted track will still appear as a result (if Include library is checked and if the track was in the library before deletion).

Note: after deletion, the track only appear as a search result. It doesn't appear in the playlist, nor in the library.

I tried the same steps 4-5 times, and couldn't reproduce it once (the other 3-4 attempts reproduced it), so there might be another condition that I didn't notice about this bug.

Note2: after closing and restarting XMPlay, the deleted tracks are not present anymore between search results.
« Last Edit: 22 Sep '09 - 16:28 by Cris »

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #771 on: 22 Sep '09 - 16:58 »
That's strange, I don't seem to be able to reproduce it here. You did actually repeat the search, not just leave the old search results open? :)

Was there any pattern to the times when you could and couldn't reproduce the problem, eg. the path, perhaps a monitored directory? Were they during different sessions, ie. having reloaded XMPlay? Had you used the undo option at any point in the session?

Cris

« Reply #772 on: 22 Sep '09 - 18:59 »
I didn't close the Find window, but after I deleted a file, I changed the search text (deleted a letter, and typed it again), so the search was practically repeated (wasn't it?).

Every time I made the same search, the one captured in the screenshot I posted. I didn't really check with other searches, but the deleted file was always different. I don't have any monitored directories in XMPlay (also, as I said, the file was not only deleted from the list, but sent to Recycle Bin, so even if the directory was monitored, the file wouldn't have been found again).

I also closed and re-opened XMPlay a couple of times, to check if the files will appear afterwards.
So:
- searched an artist
- deleted file X
- repeated search for that artist (and X still was a result)
- closed XMPlay and re-opened
- made the same search, and X didn't appear.
- Repeated the same steps for track Y.

I will try to reproduce this behavior again, for other tracks and paths, maybe I can figure out some other causes.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #773 on: 23 Sep '09 - 16:06 »
I didn't close the Find window, but after I deleted a file, I changed the search text (deleted a letter, and typed it again), so the search was practically repeated (wasn't it?).

Yep, changing the search text would cause a re-search.

amit

« Reply #774 on: 23 Sep '09 - 23:25 »
Hello ,

I am not sure which of the four to blame : windows(x64), xmplay, photoshop or OnOne photoshop plugin. After photoshop have started  right clicking on the info window button in xmplay shows OnOne menu...